Tournament Streaming - What's Your Plan?

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Got a four day weekend starting this upcoming Thursday and planning on immersing myself in college basketball and beer. We currently have internet through Mediacom but no cable/DISH/DirectTV. Trying to decide what service or app to go through. Last year I believe I signed up for SlingTV, which worked okay, but also looking at the actual March Madness App through Apple TV. I have a PC desktop and Android phone, but the wife uses Apple products.

What are your guys' plans? Any recommendations?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
SlingTV will get you TBS and TNT. I don't know of any streaming services for truTV. You can sign up for a month for $20 which would be enough to get you through the tournament.
Obviously you should be able to pull CBS over the air, which I'm assuming you already do.

You need a paid subscription (if you have someone's Dish or DirecTV log in) but this Roku app allows you to stream all the games: NCAA March Madness Live
http://betanews.com/2016/03/10/march-madness-live-basketball-roku/

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
SlingTV will get you TBS and TNT. I don't know of any streaming services for truTV. You can sign up for a month for $20 which would be enough to get you through the tournament.

truTv is on Sling's Lifestyle Extra tier, so you can get it for an extra $5 per month.

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I assume with the arrival of sling that CBS/Turner is putting an end to the free streaming they used to offer?

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Good to hear about the addon for TruTV. My current antennae is garbage and doesn't get CBS well, but IIRC the games on CBS will be already streamed online for free?

Edit: Yep, mred's link confirms that

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
My position at work is AV Support Technician. This time of year is when I get the most stops at my desk asking what the plan is for tourney time. I'll have the games on in our cafeteria, and with most of the higher-ups in the company taking Spring Break off I won't have any qualms putting a few more on the 120" projection screens in a couple of our conference rooms. I also have a new streaming card that "really needs to be tested this week" and what better way than to see if I can get sources from our control room to stream to my desk in cube-land. It's just a coincidence that two of those sources happen to be DirecTV receivers.

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
...although truTv is part of the basic package during March Madness, so you don't even have to pay the extra $5.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ing-cord-keeping-tabs-march-madness/81101540/

Great news! I have Sling and was planning to cough up the extra $5 for TruTV just for this weekend.

Paying $20 for a month of Sling TV to get all the games (assuming you have an antenna for CBS) is worth it IMO. Warning: Sling TV can be finicky on some platforms. I have a Roku box that it works great with; it did not work great on Chromecast or Xbox One. It works fine on its iOS and desktop apps.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Just found out I have a couple meniscus tears this week & was hoping they could rush me into surgery next week, but no such luck. I do have Friday off at least.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
They stream them all live on the app which is the easiest. Make sure to have Wi-Fi because it eats data. Chromecast is where it is at. Cheap and so easy to use.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Work off. Gonna get a few splitters going and have 3 TV's set up in the living room with a Pony Keg on ice possibly

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
They stream them all live on the app which is the easiest. Make sure to have Wi-Fi because it eats data. Chromecast is where it is at. Cheap and so easy to use.

This will require a TV provider login this year. Be prepared.