this is remarkable...

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Iowa State's in a difficult position. The Cyclones are the No. 2 program in a Midwestern state without much elite talent to begin with. In fact, they're smack dab in the middle of a region that's pretty far away from most of the best players. But they're in the same region as NDSU, which just had the No. 2 overall pick in 2016 despite also being an FCS team.

go get 'em coach

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Who really cares honestly? I just want us to get back to bowl games and 8+ wins per season. I don't really care that much if we ever have a 1st round pick as long as we do that.

Now, to clarify, obviously we need to put guys in the NFL, and we need them to do well in the NFL in order to attract high school talent to ISU, but we don't have to have any 1st round picks for that. Kelechi Osemele is a prime example of that. So is Rubin.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I'm just trying to think if there's anyone on the current roster that could possibly go in the first round if they were developed right. Matt Leo maybe, but I think he's really old. Anyone have any other ideas?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm just trying to think if there's anyone on the current roster that could possibly go in the first round if they were developed right. Matt Leo maybe, but I think he's really old. Anyone have any other ideas?

This is a really interesting question.

Lazard is the highest rated high school player we've gotten in a long time, and he has no chance, so that tells you just how hard it is.

Going out on a huge ledge here, but I'll throw out a few names that I think might have a shot.... Hakeem Butler, Deshaunte Jones, Chase Allen, Richard Bowens III, JaQuan Bailey, and Uwazurike. Obviously these guys would all still be VERY long shots and would have to develop tremendously to even have a shot, but there's just something about these guys that make me think they'd at least have a chance.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
This is a really interesting question.

Lazard is the highest rated high school player we've gotten in a long time, and he has no chance, so that tells you just how hard it is.

Going out on a huge ledge here, but I'll throw out a few names that I think might have a shot.... Hakeem Butler, Deshaunte Jones, Chase Allen, Richard Bowens III, JaQuan Bailey, and Uwazurike. Obviously these guys would all still be VERY long shots and would have to develop tremendously to even have a shot, but there's just something about these guys that make me think they'd at least have a chance.
Uwazurike and Allen were two I was also thinking of. Might throw Sean Foster in there as well, he's got the size.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Uwazurike and Allen were two I was also thinking of. Might throw Sean Foster in there as well, he's got the size.

Yeah, I should have probably thrown Foster in there too. I was going mostly by size first, and then talent level too. Uwazurike already has NFL size for a DE, however, he could end up inside too I guess?

Hakeem Butler is VERY intriguing to me. What is his speed like? He's listed at 6'6" and 210 lbs right now, and his hands are really good. He's also very good at high pointing the ball too, which is crucial. If he comes out of ISU at 6'6" and 230 lbs, and has 3 really good years at ISU going forward, I'd give him an outside chance.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
On the current roster I would say foster, lima, tongamoa, park and orien vance. The first thing you need is the right size. If you don't have that even if you put up all the stats, it won't matter. I think this team has a ton more guys that will make the league than in the past but only a couple really have a chance at 1st round allen has a ton of potential but a TE would be tough to go in the 1st round

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
some of these responses are ridiculous. just because you can point to johnny manziel being a bust and kelechi osemele being a stud and tom brady getting drafted 199th suddenly means we shouldnt care about developing first round draft talent? and who cares, seriously? if you only care about whether or not they amount to anything in the nfl, how does that help iowa state? if you get drafted in the 6th round, you probably didnt have a very standout collegiate career. going to bowl games and winning 8+ games per season kind of goes hand in hand with getting perennial talent from a higher tier, as shown by the fact that iowa state hasnt had that and no other power5 school is within 20 years of our drought.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
No way to sugarcoat this stat. NFL draft is always a depressing time for ISU football. Draft underperformance just validates what we already know about the historic underperformance of our program. Not withstanding recruiting challenges, ISU should at least produce a 1st round O lineman once in a blue moon. KO was close and in retrospect many teams probably wish they pulled the trigger on him. If Campbell/Manning stay for five years, this run will likely end. Best guess is it will be an O lineman who finally hears his name called in the first round.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron