The Wave

52342cyclone

Sep 13, 2011
Toledo, IA
Hawkeye Heaven (on Facebook) helped make "The Wave" a actual thing. They are requesting that since they are on a bye week, and that the Cyclones are at home, that ISU does it after the 1st quarter this Saturday vs KU. My first reaction is... Just another thing that Hawk fans will b**** about us "copying" them. But if this is something that the people that "created" this tradition wanted us to do, would it be such a bad thing to do for the kids? Just wanted some feedback. And no, I don't follow hawkeye heaven, but I had an Aunt (who is the only hawk fan in our family) share the post. Just trying to get the idea rolling...
Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 11.01.32 PM.png

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/po...awkeyeHeaven/posts/1469097653144227&width=500" width="500" height="658" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
No and no. Hawks are mad at all the good press ISU has gotten and now they have a bye. So might as well have ISU get them some press this week. There’s no hospital near JTS. So fans would just be waving to IC? I’m sure half their fans would claim iowa invented waving.

ViktorLuzor

May 1, 2016
New Ames, Iowaland
Ehhhh...on further thought, I like the idea less and less. It just feels like it's forcing a feel-good moment. If I was at the ISU game and they were telling the crowd to do this I would sit like a curmudgeon and not participate. But actually, that's what I do for the annoying "smile cam" and "dance to crap music cam" and all the other obnoxiously cute sponsored cams...yeah. I go to Jack Trice to watch football, not to participate in mass mind control experiments.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This is the dumbest thing I’ve heard. Will the hospital have all the TVs to the Iowa State game? Would fox even know? Who does the wave when Iowa is on the road? I suspect this is about Hawkeye heaven being mad we’ve had some attention.

I’ll be honest, I really don’t get the wave anyway.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I really like their wave tradition - it's a great story.

It's their story and their tradition, we shouldn't steal that from them.

Also curious if they have been doing a wave from another stadium when they are on the road?

• Winner
Reactions: harimad and aauummm

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
On the surface it's kind of an "awwwwww" idea - for the kids, you know? But then it begs the question, who waves to them the other 45 Saturdays of the year when there's no home game? I think the wave is cool, but it's THEIR wave. It's a Hawkeye wave, not a state of Iowa wave.

How about if their football team goes out on the field on Saturday afternoon and waves to the kids, then goes inside to visit them? Much better continuity...