MLB: The best thing about baseball...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You also have a rise ball in softball, which is impossible to do if you are throwing a baseball overhand.
The softball pitcher just has a larger arsenal to throw to the batter, and you have less time to react.
The one aspect of softball that I dislike is the slap hitting, it looks like many times the hitter is out of the box when they come into contact with the ball, therefore they should be called out and rarely are.

Softball only requires one foot in the batters box.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
There’s never any crowd left by the 10th. The 6 hours it took to get there was exhausting enough. Time to take the kids to bed.
upload_2020-7-25_8-31-50.png

Unpucker your cheap ass and get a sitter. Sissies who were afraid of the ball generally don't enjoy the game. ;)

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
There’s never any crowd left by the 10th. The 6 hours it took to get there was exhausting enough. Time to take the kids to bed.

Dodger Stadium (Chavez Ravine) famous throughout it's existence for crowd still arriving in the 3rd and starting to leave in the 6th.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Dodger Stadium (Chavez Ravine) famous throughout it's existence for crowd still arriving in the 3rd and starting to leave in the 6th.

Dodger fans weren’t like that the other night. It was like they were glued to their seats.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I was going from what a HS ump told me about five years ago.

Maybe you should send him the link with the rule. As long as her foot is in air she is fine, but if her front foot hits the ground, and then hits the ball, she is out. According to the rule.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Maybe you should send him the link with the rule. As long as her foot is in air she is fine, but if her front foot hits the ground, and then hits the ball, she is out. According to the rule.
I don’t feel like being douchey when my daughter is a pitcher and then every little thing she does gets picked apart. There are less and less slap hitters so for that one every third game you might see, it would do more damage than good.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I don’t feel like being douchey when my daughter is a pitcher and then every little thing she does gets picked apart. There are less and less slap hitters so for that one every third game you might see, it would do more damage than good.

Its easier to see what the pitcher is doing, then it is with a slap hitter. The homeplate ump is watching whether the pitch is a ball or strike, and its hard for him to do that and also watch the feet of the slap hitter. It works better to have the base ump. watch if the hitter is coming down with her front foot as contact is being made.
But then people will complain that its not their call to be making, but the home plate umps.
Moving the pitcher back has changed the game for the better, gives the hitter a better chance, and more offense in the game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I watched some last night.

There was a straight up echo for ball/bat contact...kinda weird.

I don't watch much but baseball is a great sport...we've just groomed ourselves to not be patient enough for it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Baseball is strictly radio sport for me until playoffs. Let's me multitask. Feels good to have it back.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Softball is a much more viewer-friendly sport. They aren’t holding runners on first base endlessly. Batters put so much pressure on the defense because they get to first base so quickly. Still plenty of long ball. And elite pitchers have breath-taking speed and amazing rise balls.
Also, seven innings is a better game length.
If it were done right, pro softball should be able to build a niche and revenue level on par with ladie’s golf or tennis.

I've always thought women's soccer and softball have more upside than WNBA for spectator success. I really enjoy women's world cup games.

WNBA has just out-organized those sports. Also NCAA basketball gives them rookies who are already known names.

Baseball in general just needs to be played faster and more aggressively if it wants to grow as a TV sport in the future. There are certain players I love because of their aggressive risk taking style.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Baseball doesn't need to be doing all these pumped in noise, CGI fans, etc. They should be letting me here mic'd up players throughout the game, would be way better.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Landed on Mariners-Astros and Micheal Brantley fouled a couple of pitches back.

Hadn't thought about that, that they just land and lay there.