The Best Team Doesnt Always win this Game

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Is anyone else tired of hearing this? Time and time again we hear how the best team doesn't always win the ISU-Iowa game. Yet if you go back and look the team that has went on to have a better or similar season as the loser has one this games at least 18 times the last 20 years.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
You must be half wrong/right as I only hear that being said the years ISU wins.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Gent

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Is anyone else tired of hearing this? Time and time again we hear how the best team doesn't always win the ISU-Iowa game. Yet if you go back and look the team that has went on to have a better or similar season as the loser has one this games at least 18 times the last 20 years.

Yes, that is a BS statement. Iowa fans will look at the 10 times we've beaten them and say we only beat their lesser teams other than 2002 and another time or two. But that's the point. I think the better team almost always wins this game. The problem is that, being played the second game of the year, no one really knows who the better team is.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
The obvious exception was in 2002 but I could argue that ISU was the better team at that point in the year. If the game was later in the season it may have had a different result.

For the most part, the better team does win this game.

But most of the time its because Iowa sinks to .500 or so and not ISU elevating to 9 or 10 wins.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Yes, that is a BS statement. Iowa fans will look at the 10 times we've beaten them and say we only beat their lesser teams other than 2002 and another time or two. But that's the point. I think the better team almost always wins this game. The problem is that, being played the second game of the year, no one really knows who the better team is.

Its not just Iowa fans, its the media as well.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
It has more to do with how people remember things. They remember the upsets more than the ho-hum games and games like 2007 tend to stick with people. Nobody gave ISU a chance in that game coming off losses to Kent St and UNI. Many people were loud wrong about that game and now those people give out the caveats before discussing this game.

You hear the same things about ISU beating Iowa after losing to UNI. Sure, it's happened but only once so usually when ISU loses to UNI they also get beat by Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Gent

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

I hope you're not tired of it because you're going to hear it every time ISU wins from here to eternity.

• Agree
Reactions: Redman97

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then".

I hear that from Hawk fans every time we win. Following that comes the "we were looking past you." "You're team puts 110% into this game." "Big 12 officials" etc....

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It is an early season game, so it is hard to tell which team will have the better season. The part that make it seem that way to Hawk fans is that even if ISU was the better team and won, they Clones always find a way to make those games closer than they should be by turning the ball over several times.

Iowa looks like the better team going into this game, but I am not counting out ISU just yet. They do have some talent on offense that struggled with the new scheme last week, and they do have some decent defenders. If ISU can somehow come out of the game +2 instead of -2 on TOs, I like their chances.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Its not just Iowa fans, its the media as well.

Yes but it helps that THEE MEDIA in this state is all in for the hoks er chokeyes when we win it ws a fluck when they win the choke eyes were the better team

Boy the Choke Eyes sure Choked the Rose Bowl away...quoting christain mccaffrey...lol

• Dislike
Reactions: FatNTired

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then".

I hear that from Hawk fans every time we win. Following that comes the "we were looking past you." "You're team puts 110% into this game." "Big 12 officials" etc....

I think we can all agree Big 12 officials suck

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonestans

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Yes but it helps that THEE MEDIA in this state is all in for the hoks er chokeyes when we win it ws a fluck when they win the choke eyes were the better team

Boy the Choke Eyes sure Choked the Rose Bowl away...quoting christain mccaffrey...lol

This post reminds me of the old joke. If you're going to drink on the job, drink whiskey. Then, people will know you're drunk. If you drink vodka, they'll think you're stupid. What is a fluck for starters?

• Dislike
Reactions: CyBobby

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
I can think of several seasons where Iowa was the better team, but lost to us: 2007,2011,2014 are the ones that come to mind. 2002 is a different animal, if that game was played in November Iowa wins by 40

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I can think of several seasons where Iowa was the better team, but lost to us: 2007,2011,2014 are the ones that come to mind. 2002 is a different animal, if that game was played in November Iowa wins by 40

iowa wasn't better in 2011

• Agree
Reactions: JHUNSY