Thad Matta - ISU Head Coach next year

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Hearing rumors JP is interested but only if Thad can beat Sean Miller in a sweat fight.

sean-miller-shirt.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
In all likelihood yesterday was probably my last game im going to watch with Steve. Nice guy. Bad coach.
Cmon dude. It's Iowa State basketball. Yes, they're pretty bad right now, but looking back, they looked pretty decent as recently as December 8th, in a win against a now top 10 Seton Hall team.

We may not like Prohm now, or in the long-run, but let's not act like it's completely impossible that they turn it around a little next season, and have a winning record. Which would put them close to the bubble. Ultimately, the Ncaa tournament is the bar for this program, and I think the expectations should be around 3 out of every 4 or 4 out of every 5 years.

College basketball can be very fickle, and player confidence plays a big role. A couple returners increase their shooting percentage next season, a couple incomers contribute, confidence on offense increases defensive hustle, and combined with a potential soft schedule, then we're looking at a handful more wins, even if Prohm has the potential to cause a couple losses on his own.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Jokes aside and taking the troll bait: Let's think outside the box. Could there be smoke that Matta may join in an assistant/consulting role with the program? Do one of Matta's kids perhaps want to study at Iowa State and he'll tail along for the ride?

Last the world knew Matta was still turning down job offers since leaving OSU in the name of reduced stress and the joy of not being a head coach.

And now, with 3 minutes of "where is Thad Matta" google searching complete, I've officially given this thread too much credibility.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Jokes aside and taking the troll bait: Let's think outside the box. Could there be smoke that Matta may join in an assistant/consulting role with the program? Do one of Matta's kids perhaps want to study at Iowa State and he'll tail along for the ride?

Last the world knew Matta was still turning down job offers since leaving OSU in the name of reduced stress and the joy of not being a head coach.

And now, with 3 minutes of "where is Thad Matta" google searching complete, I've officially given this thread too much credibility.

thats really far outside the box

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Steve isn't going anywhere after this year IMO.

Very frustrated with how things have shaken out this year, but I am not sure moving on is the best course in the near term either. Unless you are KU, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, teams have down years and sometimes multiple before getting back to tourney level. A rebuild would get people excited initially because it is something new to focus on, but there is no guarantee and may just result in some lost years. Also, getting a higher level coach is more difficult than some want to believe. It doesn't appear coaches are inclined to job hop as much anymore, as money is similar and security may be better where they are at. See CMC as a relevant example.

I would honestly look for Steve to shake up the staff a bit in the offseason, rather than Pollard and/or Steve changing the head coach.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
No way Prohm voluntarily brings in a guy that potentially could take his job.
He may not be a great coach, but he's not that dumb.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
We may not like Prohm now, or in the long-run, but let's not act like it's completely impossible that they turn it around a little next season, and have a winning record. Which would put them close to the bubble. Ultimately, the Ncaa tournament is the bar for this program, and I think the expectations should be around 3 out of every 4 or 4 out of every 5 years.

College basketball can be very fickle, and player confidence plays a big role. A couple returners increase their shooting percentage next season, a couple incomers contribute, confidence on offense increases defensive hustle, and combined with a potential soft schedule, then we're looking at a handful more wins, even if Prohm has the potential to cause a couple losses on his own.[/QUOTE]
giphy.gif

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Steve isn't going anywhere after this year IMO.

Very frustrated with how things have shaken out this year, but I am not sure moving on is the best course in the near term either. Unless you are KU, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, teams have down years and sometimes multiple before getting back to tourney level. A rebuild would get people excited initially because it is something new to focus on, but there is no guarantee and may just result in some lost years. Also, getting a higher level coach is more difficult than some want to believe. It doesn't appear coaches are inclined to job hop as much anymore, as money is similar and security may be better where they are at. See CMC as a relevant example.

I would honestly look for Steve to shake up the staff a bit in the offseason, rather than Pollard and/or Steve changing the head coach.

It isn't a staff issue and I am betting there are no changes to staff. Further basketball staff changes really won't do anything.

Prohm will be here another two years so really just have to hope that there is some kind of crazy turn around. They need guys to make giant improvements and for new players to be upgrades.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cydkar

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Steve isn't going anywhere after this year IMO. Also, getting a higher level coach is more difficult than some want to believe. It doesn't appear coaches are inclined to job hop as much anymore, as money is similar and security may be better where they are at. See CMC as a relevant example.
This.

The only way JP makes a move after this season, is if he can lock down a home run hire. A guy like Matta, Marshall, Altman, Beilein (my personal dream scenario) etc. I don't think you fire Prohm, after this season, just to go after the hottest mid major coach.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Man, you would think it's the off season around here.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Only difference between Iowa State and Ohio State is 'A' 'W' (or 2)
Its a done deal

Help Support Us

Become a patron