Texas eyes a conundrum ...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Damn it Sig if this leads to the ISU fight song being changed, I'm going to find a litter of puppies and leave them on your doorstep making sure your SO finds them before you do. ;)
Spoiler alert: Sigma's last name is De Ville, and his wife's name is Cruella.

That's Dr. De Ville to you chuckleheads.

• Funny
  • Dumb
Reactions: Macloney and NWICY

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
I just do not know where you stop digging for the historical origins of things sometimes.

The history of our species is not a pretty one. Our ancestors, even the relatively recent ones, were not peaceful, welcoming, and open-minded people. Go looking for it, and you can tear down just about anything.

There is eventually just nothing left that is not more-or-less from and created by the moral and ethical mores of the recent present. And even those are going to become outdated and retrograde in short order.

Loyal sons forever true
And we will fight that battle through.
And when we hit the line we'll hit it hard,
every yard for I-S-U!

What about the daughters...? What about those who are both or neither?

Loyal sons is in our fight song, which is directly about football. What gender issue are you thinking of when we sing about guys playing football?

Taz4President

Oct 3, 2013
Austin TX
LOL when I read the comments about Ellinger's leadership qualities. If he was a great leader there would be at least a few teammates standing with him. Or, he would support his teammates and not stay for the song.

People don't always associate TX with the deep south but Central and West TX are extremely racist as a whole. I'm sure there are some big donors who feel they paid for this team and the players should do as they wish.
Are you from Texas? Have you lived in Central or West Texas? Have you lived anywhere in Texas? Deep South? According to you, turns out Texas Is actually racist, always was and always will be?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Loyal sons is in our fight song, which is directly about football. What gender issue are you thinking of when we sing about guys playing football?

We play the same song with the same lyrics for every sport -- men and women. We don't adapt it for basketball, for instance. I never said I was advocating that it change (though something small like "loyal and forever true" or "loyal ones forever true" would be possible without changing anything about the melody of the song as a whole). It is proving the point that, if you dig deep enough, one can always find something, even with a thing as innocuous as our fight song.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Are you from Texas? Have you lived in Central or West Texas? Have you lived anywhere in Texas? Deep South? According to you, turns out Texas Is actually racist, always was and always will be?

If Central Texas is extremely racist as a whole, then Iowa might as well be Mississippi Burning.

• Winner
Reactions: jbhtexas

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
The lyrics do have a creepy "overseer watching slaves" vibe to them, too.

To be fair, "ISU Fights" is kind of sexist. It does say "loyal sons," not "loyal children," at one point.
That's why I always sing it as "loyal fans". Not arguing to change it - I just sing it the way it's comfortable to me. :D

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
They must be. It's not like we use a different fight song or lyrics for women's sports (or even other men's sports).

Objects and institutions should be "its." A ship's bow is "its bow," not "her bow."

Same deal... "its library," not "her library," for a university.

Or at least, that was how I was taught to write. Treating inanimate objects as female is antiquated.

A ship is always referred to as feminine. Ask every sailor ever.

You might be trying a little too hard on this one.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Guess my professors were wrong...?

I always call a gang "she". It's like when you call a boat "she", or a hurricane "she"...You can call a girl she, that's just one of the many things you can call "she"

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I always call a gang "she". It's like when you call a boat "she", or a hurricane "she"...You can call a girl she, that's just one of the many things you can call "she"

Again, not how my history and English professors taught me in Ames. Objects and things not reasonably classified as alive are “it,” including even named hurricanes.