Teams Youd Prefer to Avoid/See in NCAA Tournament

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
We are nearing the end of the regular season here and all prognostications here have Iowa State as a 4 or 5 seed. I could potentially see us rise to a 3 seed if we get hot down the stretch and potentially fall to a 6 seed if we stumble.

Put me in the camp of wanting to avoid Wisconsin in the tournament in a potential 4/5 second round game. They play so slow and Happ in the paint could spell trouble for us.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I want the #1 away from Virginia, Duke, or Gonzaga -- especially UVA.

Those three are head-and-shoulders above everybody else.

Duke has a slight downgrade without Zion, but they are still stupid good.

I would take UK or UT as the #1 in our region in a heartbeat.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Syracuse always scares the hell out of me. Their length and them playing zone would give us all kinds of trouble. They seem to give other teams tons of fits in the tournament, even though other years they seem to barely squeak into the dance. I am going to take tons of crap for saying this, but I really want nothing to do with the Hawks in the tournament. They seem to give us trouble and they are playing pretty well right now.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
No thanks on Tennessee, Gonzaga, Duke and Michigan State. Virginia is good but not unbeatable.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Duke and Virginia are the only ones I don't want to play. Gonzaga needed a last second shot to win at home against Washington. They got to play Duke early (their 6th game of the season) and they needed 4 blocked shots in the final minute to beat them.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I wouldn't want to see Nevada. I've seen them play a couple times this year and they are tall and really balanced.
Caroline is 6-7 and plays 88%
Martin twins are 6-7 and each play 84%
Thurman is 6-8 and plays 63%
Porter is 6-11 and plays 42%

NO THANKS

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Outside of Virginia, Duke, Kentucky and Gonzaga, I'd rather stay away from teams like:

Purdue - Outside of a Notre Dame loss and a close loss at Texas, their other losses have all come against ranked teams. They have good guard play, decent size, can slow it down and are coached well

Wisconsin - This is another team that doesn't mind playing in the 60s. Happ would be a bad match-up for us.

LSU - They are a good offensive rebounding team with a lot of raw athletes. They have somehow lost to Okie State and Arkansas, but they've also beaten Kentucky, Tennessee and Houston. I always overlook the SEC, but they are dangerous when they are engaged.

coachsn

Apr 1, 2015
Anyone that rebounds really really well...

For what it is worth, I think Michigan State would have a hard time with us. I see a lot of their games and if ISU doesn't not shoot 3-17 from 3 I think we can beat them. They don't have much scoring on that team.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Virginia, Wisconsin, Kentucky seems pretty strong.

Without Young, we wouldn't have much power to contain Zion, Duke would probably be a tricky match up.

I could live with Gonzaga in our region.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
If the Big 12 gets as many teams in as predicted, I say any Big 12 team. I am tired of playing our conference mates. Would be more interested in playing any other team just for the unfamiliarity and excitement that makes.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman and alarson

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Personally I don't want any of the projected #1 seeds until as late as possible but I think we are destined for that 4/5 seed range and that's our own fault.

Lower seeded teams I want nothing to do with in our first game:
  • Lipscomb
  • Belmont
  • Wofford
  • Hofstra
Second game teams I would rather not face:
  • LSU
  • Florida State
Teams in general I don't want to face:
  • Syracuse
  • North Carolina

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Syracuse always scares the hell out of me. Their length and them playing zone would give us all kinds of trouble. They seem to give other teams tons of fits in the tournament, even though other years they seem to barely squeak into the dance. I am going to take tons of crap for saying this, but I really want nothing to do with the Hawks in the tournament. They seem to give us trouble and they are playing pretty well right now.

I wouldn't say they're playing WELL. They're doing just enough to beat **** teams in the league and it's all because of one player. That being said I am not sure I how I would feel about playing them.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Syracuse always scares the hell out of me. Their length and them playing zone would give us all kinds of trouble. They seem to give other teams tons of fits in the tournament, even though other years they seem to barely squeak into the dance.
That zone is the great equalizer for Boeheim. It isn't unsolvable -- hence he sometimes struggles in the conference season -- but if he can get in the tournament it is extremely difficult to solve if you've never faced it; especially when you have to face it with a two day turnaround.