Tamin Lipsey recruiting thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
All that I know about this guy is that he's a point guard for Ames and is considered very good. Is he considered Barnes-like level good in high school or is the state of Iowa just overhyping him? If he's as highly ranked as Barnes was and the one-and-done thing goes away, then he's not going to college.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
All that I know about this guy is that he's a point guard for Ames and is considered very good. Is he considered Barnes-like level good in high school or is the state of Iowa just overhyping him? If he's as highly ranked as Barnes was and the one-and-done thing goes away, then he's not going to college.

He is considered Barnes level good nationally, which is why he made the U16 national team.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Is there a law that every kid has to make the same decision as Harrison Barnes? We also would have had a better shot at him if McDermott had been better, and wasn't halfway out the door at that point.

I remember walking into the gym and seeing them all sitting there and I thought.... ISU has no chance- To be fair to Barnes ISU really wasn't a good choice with all those HOF coaches sitting there. Cheaters or not-

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
This kid probably doesn't even sniff the college game. Straight to the NBA.

I hope to get to some Ames High games next year and watch him
This, if he is as good as advertised by the time he graduates the NBA will be allowing kids to come into the league directly

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I remember walking into the gym and seeing them all sitting there and I thought.... ISU has no chance- To be fair to Barnes ISU really wasn't a good choice with all those HOF coaches sitting there. Cheaters or not-

The key factor (beyond that) was that ISU was at the low point of the last 25 years in basketball, with a coach with a foot out the door.

• Winner
Reactions: skibumspe

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is there a law that every kid has to make the same decision as Harrison Barnes? We also would have had a better shot at him if McDermott had been better, and wasn't halfway out the door at that point.

The calculus for Team Harrison would have been entirely different if he was coming into a line-up that could have looked something like this in the Fred era...

Kane
Barnes
Hogue
Niang
Ejim

...or now into Prohm's ability to bond with and mentor players, plus his record of putting some guys into the NBA and having a really close relationship with Monté Morris.

Being recruited into a thriving ISU program versus the McDoormat years are entirely different.

Last edited:

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Wasn’t Barnes the #1 player in his class? That’s usually a different level of player compared to everyone else, even the other top 10 kids.

He was either #1 or #2 depending on the service. I think there might have been 3 #1 players that year if I remember correctly. Barnes was ESPN, Selby was Rivals and I believe maybe Kyrie was #1 on Scout. Sometimes the #1 player is on a different level but for example that class it really wasn't clear cut.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
He is considered Barnes level good nationally, which is why he made the U16 national team.
Carton has made US national teams as well. He was rated high 20s, low 30's. Obviously no option for NBA jump, but he didn't go blue blood. Don't even think he had a blue blood offer.

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014
It's a long time before this kid has to make a decision. I think it is a little early to assume he is going to jump straight to the NBA. We forget that high school kids were allowed to make that jump previously and while any of the top ten HS kids in any given class may have declared for the draft, all of the top 10 kids NEVER did so in the same year. The most ever was nine in 2005, also the last year before the one-and-done rule. I have no idea if all nine were rated as top 10 kids or not, but it seems safe to assume that most of them were. But there were also years like 2002 when only one player went that route.

Obviously we live in a different world now, and with the NBA focusing more on development these days perhaps having all of the top 10 kids leaving early WILL become the norm. I'm just saying that I'll be interested to see how it plays out, and what the top kids tend to do when the rule changes goes into affect.

It is definitely a game changer, but I'm not certain about HOW it will change the game just yet.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Carton has made US national teams as well. He was rated high 20s, low 30's. Obviously no option for NBA jump, but he didn't go blue blood. Don't even think he had a blue blood offer.

Carton is a great player and would have loved to have had him at ISU, but I actually think he didn’t make the national team if I remember correctly. I thought he was one of the later guys cut.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Carton hasn't made a national team. He got invited to the tryouts last year but didn't make the team.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

OSUs football really overshadows their basketball prowess but I walked through the old St John Arena recently which is now just a shrine to OSU sports. I was blown away by what they’ve done in basketball and the players that have gone through that school.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The calculus for Team Harrison would have been entirely different if he was coming into a line-up that could have looked something like this in the Fred era...

Kane
Barnes
Hogue
Niang
Ejim

...or now into Prohm's ability to bond with and mentor players, plus his record of putting some guys into the NBA and having a really close relationship with Monté Morris.

Being recruited into a thriving ISU program versus the McDoormat years are entirely different.

True but sometimes a player just wants something better or different. Hinrich was a verbal, iirc Collison was interested but they go into that 'coach with a foot out the door' category' but Raef Lafrentz I think was set on KU very early.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
How tall is he? Do they think he’s still growing? With guys this young, that can be big for NBA potential.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It's a long time before this kid has to make a decision. I think it is a little early to assume he is going to jump straight to the NBA. We forget that high school kids were allowed to make that jump previously and while any of the top ten HS kids in any given class may have declared for the draft, all of the top 10 kids NEVER did so in the same year. The most ever was nine in 2005, also the last year before the one-and-done rule. I have no idea if all nine were rated as top 10 kids or not, but it seems safe to assume that most of them were. But there were also years like 2002 when only one player went that route.

Obviously we live in a different world now, and with the NBA focusing more on development these days perhaps having all of the top 10 kids leaving early WILL become the norm. I'm just saying that I'll be interested to see how it plays out, and what the top kids tend to do when the rule changes goes into affect.

It is definitely a game changer, but I'm not certain about HOW it will change the game just yet.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Nine high schoolers were drafted in 2005, and only three in the first round. It's not a foregone conclusion that highly ranked kids will declare for the NBA/will be drafted by an NBA team.

He also just finished his freshman year of high school. It's much more likely that he will be choosing a college in two or three years.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCal and Doc