Tailgating/game day with kids

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
This will be my first year tailgating as a parent. We're hoping to take our baby to a few games, but I admit I'm feeling a bit anxious.

Any tips/advice for navigating the day with a little one?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This will be my first year tailgating as a parent. We're hoping to take our baby to a few games, but I admit I'm feeling a bit anxious.

When you say baby, do you mean actual infant? Or are you talking 2-3 years old?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Remember, you have to have see through bags. My concerns would be feeding either would need to use formula, pump ahead of time, or find a way to either covertly feed in seats or venture to the concourse. The sun is the other issue, I generally get burnt during the first game. You can cover the kid, but he is going to get hot. I would suggest you both bring in a clear bag so you have enough supplies, blankets, bottles, etc take up plenty of space in those small bags. Those would be my biggest concerns. If you can cover those two issues, I think you would be ok.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I'm going to stick with light beer and limit his consumption to only a couple.

1 beer per month on earth!

But seriously it's going to be a heavy lift taking a little one. Speaking only as a parent of a 2 month old who sleeps, eats, and poops on his own goddam schedule.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
For the few games where the weather is nice it's not that big of a deal, our youngest was born in April and we were at games that Fall. He didn't go to all of them obviously, but I don't remember it being that difficult as long as you understand the plan may change and it may not be ideal, ie. you might not get to watch as much as you'd like, or have to leave altogether. It's easier if you happen to have some help with you, family members, etc.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We tailgated with our oldest when she was 1.5 years old for her first time. It was just my wife, the kid, and me.

But I'd tamp your expectations down a bit. I think I maybe had 1 beer, 1 hotdog and a handful of chips.

A tent with sides in case it's hot and sunny. And the earmuffs are good, but not sure about an infant. We always packed a thermos of hot water to reheat bottles, though not at a tailgate since ours was older.

I think our goal was halftime and we made it to the third quarter. This was an afternoon game, so the napping/sleeping thing depends greatly on kickoff time.

I have a friend with in-laws in the RV lot. That seems like a better way, especially if Grandma stays inside with the baby the whole time! ;)

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Get them those little ear muffs, protects their hearing. maybe not as bad at Trice, but see them all the time in Hilton.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Don't listen to the nay-sayers. We took our infants to games and one was born in August. Not a big deal. I wasn't shy about strapping them to my stomach and heading to the urinal line.

It was fun for my wife and I and we have some great pictures of us in JTS with our family.

• Agree
Reactions: BirdOfWar

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Honestly? Find a babysitter.

We have a 6 and 3 year old and they stay with grandma and grandpa. The parents I see carting infants around with chest straps looks miserable. Especially if it's raining or boiling hot out.

We took our kids to a soccer game and it was okay because those are max two-hours long and half the game was spent getting them snacks or looking for the mascot.

I would say each of my kids had been to about 50 sporting events by the time they turned five- baseball, ISU BB, ISU FB, soccer games. Sporting events are our family time.

Reactions: NWICY

LaVerne

Jun 14, 2010
Remember, you have to have see through bags. My concerns would be feeding either would need to use formula, pump ahead of time, or find a way to either covertly feed in seats or venture to the concourse. The sun is the other issue, I generally get burnt during the first game. You can cover the kid, but he is going to get hot. I would suggest you both bring in a clear bag so you have enough supplies, blankets, bottles, etc take up plenty of space in those small bags. Those would be my biggest concerns. If you can cover those two issues, I think you would be ok.

Not sure if this has changed in the past few years, but there was an exemption to the clear bag policy for medical and family supplies, including a breast pump bag and/or a diaper bag with baby stuff. It is a little unclear on the website what exceptions they will make right now.

If your baby is breastfeeding, there is actually a lactation room within the stadium if that would be a more comfortable space to nurse - more details here. We took our then-9 month old to a game a few years ago and just nursed in our seats (and technically no need to be covert about it - unless that is a personal preference - since it is perfectly legal in public!).

I concur with the previous posters' recommendations for ear protection as it gets VERY loud. I also would recommend a wrap or carrier for babywearing within the stands.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Probably not get him/her close to any cheerleaders, especially during the first several games. Might get confused and think its time to nurse.

• Funny
Reactions: BCClone and NWICY

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger

You'll only get one chance to tell your kids that they've been going to cyclone games literally since they were born. We've taken every kid as an infant. Is it work? Of course. But so is having kids in general. Make the memories, and take the pictures so the kids can see when they're older. You won't regret it.

• Agree
Reactions: BirdOfWar and NWICY

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
If you decide to leave the baby in the car during the game, crack the windows a little bit. It can get hot inside the car in Sept/early Oct. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

get really drunk so your wife can watch baby.

• Haha
Reactions: cstrunk

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron