T-Mobile 5G Internet

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Bunch of people at work use it and love it. Not good for gaming though, but great for everything else.

People should be aware of this, if it matters to them. The latency on a wireless service like this is going to be worse than internet provided to the home via some sort of wire, and it'll also be much less consistent. (meaning the latency will be more variable)

So for you competitive online gamers out there, likely not a great choice unless your only other option is satellite internet.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Set this up for my mom a couple days ago. Connection and speed was great, ~500 up and ~35 down in an Ultra Capacity area. Only problem is Hulu Live doesn't work with it because the IP address is dynamic and messes up the location. Apparently it's not an issue with YouTube TV and Netflix because they use the devices location opposed to the IP address. Also read up that the latest firmware can cause issues connecting to some VPNs like GlobalProtect due to the new technology the router uses but that can be corrected by having T Mobile rollback to older firmware.

Hulu issue - https://community.t-mobile.com/tv-home-internet-7/hulu-live-36982
VPN issue - https://community.t-mobile.com/tv-home-internet-7/globalprotect-vpn-not-working-with-t-mobile-35992

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Only problem is Hulu Live doesn't work with it because the IP address is dynamic and messes up the location.
I have a similar issue with T-Mobile Home Internet and mlb.tv. I'm a Cubs fan in Wisconsin (not a blackout area for Cubs) but my IP address is usually linked to Chicago or Indianapolis (both blacked out for Cubs).

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Set this up for my mom a couple days ago. Connection and speed was great, ~500 up and ~35 down in an Ultra Capacity area. Only problem is Hulu Live doesn't work with it because the IP address is dynamic and messes up the location. Apparently it's not an issue with YouTube TV and Netflix because they use the devices location opposed to the IP address. Also read up that the latest firmware can cause issues connecting to some VPNs like GlobalProtect due to the new technology the router uses but that can be corrected by having T Mobile rollback to older firmware.

Hulu issue - https://community.t-mobile.com/tv-home-internet-7/hulu-live-36982
VPN issue - https://community.t-mobile.com/tv-home-internet-7/globalprotect-vpn-not-working-with-t-mobile-35992
I had this issue last night after I signed up for Hulu, I called into Hulu and they were able to manually assign my IP to my billing zip code. They did warn me that if T-Mobile reassigned or refreshed my IP, I'd probably have to call back in... I have not experienced the VPN issue so far, fingers crossed, I wonder which hardware had the FW update issues? I have the newer square black device.

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
I had this issue last night after I signed up for Hulu, I called into Hulu and they were able to manually assign my IP to my billing zip code. They did warn me that if T-Mobile reassigned or refreshed my IP, I'd probably have to call back in... I have not experienced the VPN issue so far, fingers crossed, I wonder which hardware had the FW update issues? I have the newer square black device.
For what it's worth, I have the T-Mobile internet and use Roku for my main TV. Have not had any issues logging into Hulu via Roku. My other TVs are smart TVs and have also not noticed any issues (I have the older router model - had service for over a year).

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
For what it's worth, I have the T-Mobile internet and use Roku for my main TV. Have not had any issues logging into Hulu via Roku. My other TVs are smart TVs and have also not noticed any issues (I have the older router model - had service for over a year).
Hulu LIVE TV? That needs the IP location and billing zip to be close for local broadcast stations they have available.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
T-Mobile home unlimited just became available at my house and I picked it up last Saturday after the game. So far no issues. Speeds are way faster than that crappy/expensive DSL I had. Speeds ranging from 130mb-750mb. It usually is around 350mb

I thought there were data caps.
There aren't supposed to be any data caps or throttling

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Thanks for the replies to my OP. Waited til 1st weekend of CFB ended. Got gateway today and setup went smoothly.

Gateway show excellent cell strength. So far so good. Will stress test it this weekend with NFL & CFB.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Worked perfectly Friday night and all day Saturday with the firestick. Had at least 5 connected on phones too.

Wow, really impressed. I would have figured as the crowds picked up on Saturday things would start to get spotty. Great to hear.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Bunch of people at work use it and love it. Not good for gaming though, but great for everything else.

I got it today because metronet has been pretty bad the last month. I’m getting about 200 down but the Xbox was unplayable. I’d kind of like to keep it but I can’t imagine the amount of complaining about rocket league I’d need to endure.

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I got it today because metronet has been pretty bad the last month. I’m getting about 200 down but the Xbox was unplayable. I’d kind of like to keep it but I can’t imagine the amount of complaining about rocket league I’d need to endure.
. I'm not a gamer, but I have read similar complaints on the web. One solution someone posted was to plug in your old router to the T-mobile router and use the old router's signal. I'm no tech wizard and can't explain the logic. I just remember it being posted.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I had no idea this was a thing. I just told my parents who live in rural Iowa about it. I looked at a coverage map and they should be in an Extended 5G area. Hope it works for them because their internet service sucks. Fiber is supposedly coming to their area but it's still several years away.

Is Extended 5G decent?

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
We just bought new phones with T-Mobile and found out that 5G was now in our area so I was excited to give it a shot and hopefully kick Cox internet to the curb. Even though I'm retired I still work part-time from home for consulting so I have to have solid internet. Unfortunately, their 5G signal was between weak and barely good so we had to take it back and still be stuck with the overpriced internet we currently have.