Survey Questions For Class

HogueNation

Nov 15, 2016
I have a couple questions for my fellow Cyclone fans for a class I'm currently taking.

Why do you use Cyclone Fanatic? Is it for the content or the forums?

Do you enjoy engaging with the few Iowa Hawkeye fans on this board? Please explain why or why not.

Do you ever find yourself venturing over to Hawkeye Boards?

If you also use or visit other forums and wouldn't mind listing which ones that would also be very beneficial. I fully realize there's gonna be a plethora of funny responses but if I could get a few solid responses it will most certainly help.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I have a couple questions for my fellow Cyclone fans for a class I'm currently taking.

90% forums, 10% content/articles. Edit to add: I am a regular listener of the podcasts. I listen to more podcasts than read articles.

Do you enjoy engaging with the few Iowa Hawkeye fans on this board? Please explain why or why not.

No. Hawk Fans are total low-lifers that don't deserve my time. Seriously though, I come here to talk ISU sports, not bash the Hawks. But that does happen sometimes when appropriate.

No - see above.

If you also use or visit other forums and wouldn't mind listing which ones that would also be very beneficial. I fully realize there's gonna be a plethora of funny responses but if I could get a few solid responses it will most certainly help.

AgTalk - good farming/ag forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: HogueNation

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
The forums

Yeah, I enjoy talking to the ones who aren't trolling or ********

Nope

If you also use or visit other forums and wouldn't mind listing which ones that would also be very beneficial.
D3boards.com

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Why do you use Cyclone Fanatic?
By far the easiest/most efficient way for me, as an out of state alum, to stay up to date on the latest news regarding the Cyclones. Politics, OT, and other sports/college boards give great discussion as well.

Is it for the content or the forums?
Forums. I read a lot of what CW, Rob, and the rest of the crew post as articles if they're linked in a thread or shared on Twitter but don't seek them out. I have the Forums bookmarked, not the mainpages.

There are a few decent ones out there :) The trolls can get bent.

No.

If you also use or visit other forums and wouldn't mind listing which ones that would also be very beneficial.
TexAgs - some funny stuff, good variety of OT forums
City-Data - I mainly lurk, some nutjobs that make the CF trolls look sane, some really knowledgeable posters
Does Quora count?
Teton Gravity Research (TGR) Forums - skiers, cyclists, river rats, aka my people

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

75% forum 25% content

No. I do not like hawkeye fans.

No why would I go somewhere in which I don't like the people.

any racing boards (iowastockcars.com, 4m.net, etc.)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Mostly forums, but I listen to most podcasts and read most articles.

No, because there are so few civil Hokeye fans posting here.

Yes.

HawkeyeNation. PantherNation.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Why do you use Cyclone Fanatic? Is it for the content or the forums? I mostly read the forums, occasional articles. I like reading about mens basketball and football mostly but some of the political and other topics interest me also. There also seems to be a huge base on here which means there are always new threads and replies. Alot of sites dont have that.

Yes, I have an interest in Iowa also, there are usually more people talking about them on here than on their own boards.

I look at Hawkeyenation sometimes but would never post. They dont have near the site traffic it looks like, so there is rarely any new content on the message boards.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
1. I come to CF both for the content and forums. The local sports news is so Hawkeye slanted, I no longer watch or read it, so I get most of my sports news on the internet.

2. Have most of the Hawks on ignore. Most are here to troll. theantiAIRBHG is about the only one I like. The few others I could stand got really obnoxious during the football season leading up to the Stanford Rose Bowl shellacking.

3. Never go to the Hawk boards. Have given up on all local news because of Hawk crap, not like I would willingly expose myself to more.

4. I read WRNL but do not post there.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

Mostly the forums, but good content is a bonus.

Mostly no, because they are here to troll. I will say that there are a couple of them that seem decent that I don't mind.

Nope, no interest.

Stormtrack - https://stormtrack.org/community/
American Weather - https://www.americanwx.com/bb/
Can-Am ATV Forum - http://www.can-amforum.com/forums/

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I'd rather have a paper cut on my scrotum than venture over to hawk boards. You can use that in your class if you'd like.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
1. Recruiting news in both content and forums.
2. Hawk regulars yes, trolls no.
3. No.
4. Shaggy and WRNL.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Both, more so forums

Yes if we are talking about something other than Iowa/Iowa State athletics
No if we are talking about Iowa/Iowa State athletics

Those mouth breathers are just unbearable when it comes to talking about Iowa sports

No

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Why do you use Cyclone Fanatic? Is it for the content or the forums? Forum overwhelmingly

1. Way to often. Like really way too often. More than 5 log times a day at minimum. Best source of ISU info and a good community of alumni

2. No. I don't follow iowa sports and avoid them on CF

3. Never

4. Does Ted Flint on Twitter count?

Last edited:

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

1) Forums. Out of state alum, the forums help me connect with other Cyclone fans.

2) The good ones. I have the in-state rivals forum blocked, and I assume we only let the good ones post outside of there.

3) Nope.

4) Not enough time to visit other forums regularly, but I will hit up CorvetteForum.com from time to time.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
80% Forums 20% Content

No. Rather watch and see others sling poop. Yeah, I might post on the In State Board but not often and not to troll them.

Almost never. Once in a great while if someone posts a link to a real juicy meltdown.

Some political ones, but ironically don't do the Cave here. Don't want to know people's political ideology on here. It's my escape from that.

Y-Block Forum (That's a Ford V-8 Engine series used in cars/trucks 1954-1964)

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames

A little bit of both. Have recently started to listen to a couple of the podcasts, especially the instant response ones that CW has been doing. Really enjoy the rah rah game day threads for getting pumped up. As a life-long Cyclone fan in my 40's is it also fun to hear some of the Cyclone stories before my time, during my college year, and since. There is a pretty nice mixture of that on these forums.

I don't interact much. Definitely find it distasteful enough bickering with ISU fans, and feel less need to bicker with a rival base. It is sometimes fun to see the arguments though. Especially when it is a bunch of cocky Hawk fans who disappear after an embarrassing loss or incident.

Very rarely. If there is a big melt-down and someone posts a thread link on this site, I may go over and read parts of it, but I am not fond of a world seen through Black and Gold-colored glass. And not a fan of trolling, so I don't stray too often.

If you also use or visit other forums and wouldn't mind listing which ones that would also be very beneficial. I fully realize there's gonna be a plethora of funny responses but if I could get a few solid responses it will most certainly help

I used to post on some of the ESPN forums, but they were never very good and seem to have declined. I would probably read WRNL a bit more, but just don't have the time, so stick to CF nearly exclusively.

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA

Both. Love all the content, and the forums are funny.

No. A lot of the Hawkeye fans are just idiot trolls that just mindlessly troll and don't engage in true debate. Some Cyclone fans find it funny...I don't. There's a few good ones here, but not enough to offset the stupidity from the others. The worst are the people that masquerade as ISU fans. Idiots.

Occasionally, usually following links posted here. Can't stay there long though.

WideRightNattyLite. I went to High School with the lead editor. Those dudes are extremely funny. I used to be on CloneChronicles as well as CrossCyed when they were up and going.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Why do you use Cyclone Fanatic? Is it for the content or the forums? Both

Do you enjoy engaging with the few Iowa Hawkeye fans on this board? Please explain why or why not. Some of them. The non-trolls provide good conversation in a friendly but competitive way.

Do you ever find yourself venturing over to Hawkeye Boards? Only in the event of severe meltdown (maybe once a year).

If you also use or visit other forums and wouldn't mind listing which ones that would also be very beneficial. I fully realize there's gonna be a plethora of funny responses but if I could get a few solid responses it will most certainly help. Reddit, that's about it.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I use it mainly for the forums, but I also read every story. The forums have a great variety of content covering so many good topics. And there are some funny SOBs on here. There's not a day someone doesn't make me laugh on here. The stories give me my daily dose of all things Cyclone and are well written. This is easily my most-visited site.

There are some good dudes on here that were just brought up to root for the wrong team. I have a hard time holding that against them. The trolls are easy enough to ignore.

Nope. The hatred that I had for them pretty much died out after I graduated and moved out of state. I don't have to deal with overbearing fans like others do. They are fun to beat, but they are just another team to me.

Other Forums?

WRNL, but I don't post. I visit other forums on occasion, but nothing regularly.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron