Summer Concert Thread

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
If you have a decent crew the music at 80/35 doesnt really matter (to me). I've gone pretty much every year, dig the 2 free stages, It was harder to sneak beer into those last year but its doable.

I volunteered at both 80/35 (VIP area) and Hinterland (grounds crew) & had a blast. I use 80/35 as a music learning experience. The camping of Hinterland takes it to another level that central Iowa doesnt really offer.

Hey quick question, what do you think about the 2 amphitheaters planned for DSM?, one in Water Works & the other at the old Riverview Park island? I dont see how both will survive so why not combine efforts...

Reactions: aforstate and Angie

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Hey quick question, what do you think about the 2 amphitheaters planned for DSM?, one in Water Works & the other at the old Riverview Park island? I dont see how both will survive so why not combine efforts...

I think it's great that they're turning Water Works Park into a more usable place. Right now it's just a space around the bike trail that you use to get somewhere else.

I hadn't heard about the amphitheater at the other location. Sounds like more of a nostalgia-driven project. Time will tell if the metro has grown enough to support two similar sized outdoor amphitheaters. They both appear to be planned to be family friendly, so I guess that helps.

I'd be a little concerned about accessibility with the Riverview Park location. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the article I read stated that the park is only accessible by trail. So how far away would people have to park and walk if they wanted to go? I know hoofing it isn't a big deal for most but it's a factor for some.

Reactions: Angie

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Anyone make it to the Lucero and JakeLa Botz show? One of the best ones I have seen at Wooly’s, Lucero just kept playing.....
a couple additional coming up. Turnpike Troubadours At nitefall in April. American Aquarium and Cory Branan at Wooly’s in late May and POS at Vaudville Mews in early May.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I missed out on tickets to Childish Gambino in September in Chicago, and I'm hella bummed. All of the resale stuff is marked up almost 100%.

Pretty positive I'm doing Lake Street Dive at Nitefall. I just saw Rev Horton Heat is going to be at Lefty's in August, and am pondering that one.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Hot off the press.... Pixies July 3rd Hoyt Sherman!!! Why 80-35 could not pull them 3 days later is beyond me....

• Winner

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I was too late. They are on stubhub for $300 right now. Darn.
I almost didn't buy them the day they went available (thanks to Post tweeting the pre-sale code). They sold out in less than a day. I've had multiple friends try to buy my ticket from me haha.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Thus far for 2018:
Ryan Adams
David Byrne
Beck

Hoping to see:
The Decemberists
The National

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Hot off the press.... Pixies July 3rd Hoyt Sherman!!! Why 80-35 could not pull them 3 days later is beyond me....

Just got our tickets to Pixies!

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
This is a great summer for concerts! So far I’ve got Jack White in Omaha, Pixies in Des Moines and the Pumpkins in Seattle.

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Anyone hitting of Montreal tonight?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I have 4 lined up

Impractical Jokers-Not a band but a concert/show
Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly
Dirty Heads in Kansas City
Social Distortion

Was not in town for Hatebreed and Pennywise. Of course they picked the two nights in a row I was out of town. ugh

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
Greta Van Fleet
Tame Impala
Nathaniel Ratliff & Night Sweats

Also seeing a live cover of the album Led Zeppelin II which should be neat