Student Section Complaint Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
This is clearly an upper level issue, as a result, I am not sure what the fix is.
Well, in the past there has been no fix. And, posters here derided those of us saying it was too loud and obnoxious to the point of being unrecognizable noise.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

jmbessm

Apr 30, 2010
You're wanting to put a camera on the opposite side of the stadium from the production truck.

There's no built-in place for it, like there are on the west side (photo bay and two platforms) and in the end zones (above the scoreboard). There are also cable runs and hookups to ponder.

It's a lot of extra work if the goal is just to shoot the student section.
That camera on the east side would be facing into the sun during most daytime games as well. That is an extra headache to deal with from the production standpoint.

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
I agree with the students being separated from the band being the major issue. I dont think their placement is necessarily the problem.

I like the idea of selling SEZ Club pass only tickets just like Johnny’s, and maybe issue those passes separate from assigned seats. Those EZ angle seats suck anyways and we need students in them to have people on camera at all times.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Well, in the past there has been no fix. And, posters here derided those of us saying it was too loud and obnoxious to the point of being unrecognizable noise.
I’ve sat in the upper level as recently as the 2020 25% Covid spacing season. I didn’t notice an issue, but maybe the issue is inconsistent.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
I agree with the students being separated from the band being the major issue. I dont think their placement is necessarily the problem.

I like the idea of selling SEZ Club pass only tickets just like Johnny’s, and maybe issue those passes separate from assigned seats. Those EZ angle seats suck anyways and we need students in them to have people on camera at all times.

That's an interesting idea - SEZ Club.

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
As a student, the new student section sucks. And I’m not even talking about the location, which is clearly worse. The separation from the band is noticeable. The Cowbell cheer is dead. Students can’t hear the band enough to do the first down chant or even clap along to the fight song. Atmosphere has taken a huge step down this season.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
As a student, the new student section sucks. And I’m not even talking about the location, which is clearly worse. The separation from the band is noticeable. The Cowbell cheer is dead. Students can’t hear the band enough to do the first down chant or even clap along to the fight song. Atmosphere has taken a huge step down this season.
Thanks for the firsthand information. We miss you guys!

Reactions: Lewey24

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
That camera on the east side would be facing into the sun during most daytime games as well. That is an extra headache to deal with from the production standpoint.

Don't say it's a bad idea. The non-expert will tell you otherwise.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If they had to move….It does begs the question, why didn’t they just move the students directly across to the West side? They could still interact with the band and be facing the opponent.

Probably decided it was more money for the department to put the student section in the cheap seats and continue selling the northern sections at higher prices.

We sacrificed our home atmosphere for a little extra ticket money. It seems like it was a bad trade.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
One idea to fix this, in the past they have sat the Hawkeye band on the field when Iowa came to town, why not just spread the band out on the field below the students? Spend the money and hire a company to fix the sound system, even if its quiet on the upper deck and solid on the lower deck. Finally hire some college interns to fix the playlist and mix it up so it flows together.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
So with the band out of the North, you set that end with speaker array like you would do a concert, you could hire some sound crew from some long time touring band to easily solve this. Then cmon, mixing songs together with good mix modern and oldie remixes solves that, plan out where you want the cheers and figure out how to pump the band through the PA. So easy to solve?

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Wasnt Pink Floyd playing in Trice in the 70s, I highly doubt it sounded like total sh*t like it does now, if you cant get good sound to the upper deck then abandon and let it be quiet up there, quiet is better than current?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The sound level on those speakers about make one's ears bleed. Often sort of distorted sound also like playing a boom box above its limits.
yep, want to see a college football game, hear the fans and the band. That speaker system is loud and obnoxious? It's football, not a freaking tractor pull. The speakers are poor sound quality anyway, nothing sounds words than speaker driven too loud, it compresses the hell of the signal anyway.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Its not TOO bad when the winds are light. Windy days it just messes up the sound horribly and its dreadful.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

Who sells Johnny’s passes other than resale by ticket holders with high enough donations?

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
Who sells Johnny’s passes other than resale by ticket holders with high enough donations?
At least those high donors with Johnnys passes go back to their seats when the game starts. The way nobody even sits in the seats during the football games is a huge problem to me. If the SEZ folks aren’t going to sit in the EZ seats then let those people have a hillside pass with a SEZ wristband and let them stay in the club the whole time. And let students and band sit in the actual EZ seats. And by “selling them”. Im talking about through cyclone club

Reactions: shadow