Star Trek Universe Thread

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Noah Hawley just confirmed that his particular Star Trek movie he is in development on would feature a new cast of characters. While I personally am still wanting more movies featuring Pine as Captain Kirk, I'm not opposed to also having some movies go a different route as well, as long as it is in addition to.

Reactions: 3GenClone

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Noah Hawley just confirmed that his particular Star Trek movie he is in development on would feature a new cast of characters. While I personally am still wanting more movies featuring Pine as Captain Kirk, I'm not opposed to also having some movies go a different route as well, as long as it is in addition to.

Make a Star Trek film akin to what "Rogue One" did for the Star Wars universe. Kirk and Picard got the shiny, new Enterprise for their 5 year missions - it would be fun to see an "older" exploration vessel and crew, maybe towards the latter end of their 5 year mission and see how they react to a new threat on a different side of the federation.

Un-related rant: I've been really enjoying Lower Decks. There's been at least one laugh-out-loud moment for me each episode. The episode from 2 weeks ago with Boimler's girlfriend had one of the best twist endings/reveals I've seen in some time.

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Make a Star Trek film akin to what "Rogue One" did for the Star Wars universe. Kirk and Picard got the shiny, new Enterprise for their 5 year missions - it would be fun to see an "older" exploration vessel and crew, maybe towards the latter end of their 5 year mission and see how they react to a new threat on a different side of the federation.

Un-related rant: I've been really enjoying Lower Decks. There's been at least one laugh-out-loud moment for me each episode. The episode from 2 weeks ago with Boimler's girlfriend had one of the best twist endings/reveals I've seen in some time.

I had been curious if anyone was watching Lower Decks. I just got sent a free month promotion for CBS all-access that I'm planning on grabbing on the last day it is offered and then knocking out the whole season.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I had been curious if anyone was watching Lower Decks. I just got sent a free month promotion for CBS all-access that I'm planning on grabbing on the last day it is offered and then knocking out the whole season.
We are enjoying Lower Decks. The random Trek references are great and everything is so rapid-fire, it's rarely a dull moment. The last episode where they're in the holodeck when it glitches out and "Diplomatic immunity!" was shouted by the malfunctioning character caught my attention in a good way. Way to drop in a 30 year old Lethal Weapon 2 reference!

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I would recommend not trying to binge it all at once: do like 2 episodes max a day. The dialogue is really fast-paced and it can be kind of exhausting to follow. I also don't know if the humor would hold up if you tried to knock the series out in a day or two.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I would recommend not trying to binge it all at once: do like 2 episodes max a day. The dialogue is really fast-paced and it can be kind of exhausting to follow. I also don't know if the humor would hold up if you tried to knock the series out in a day or two.

Good to know. Yeah, I don't really binge anything in that way. Whenever I watch a series, I usually do it by one episode per day, max 2. That is my favorite way in general to watch any show.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Paramount has suddenly decided to kill ALL Star Trek movies. Star Trek is no longer a movies franchise, according to the source used in this article.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/exclusive-star-trek-movies-cancelled.html

Apparently Screenrant has reached out to Paramount on this story and Paramount says this is false

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
Hey all, new to this thread, but I’m a Trek fan and just started Lower Decks this week and I’m really enjoying it! It’s fun to see Star Trek poke a little fun at itself and acknowledge some of its classic story tropes. I’d recommend people check it out

kcbob79clone

I keep forgetting to do this so here is my review of 'Star Trek Discovery'. I'm a trekkie (not trekker) that watched TOS in 1966 (yeah I'm old). I'm not a severe canon guy but this series, according to Memory Alpha Discovery is set abut 10 years before TOS. But how is that possible the technology on the bridge was vastly superior to NCC-1701. It wasn't just a matter of set decoration it was the technology. How often in the pilot did they use the holographic communication device? This device incidentally did not show up in TOS, NextGen. In DS9 100 years or so after Discovery it was presented as a new device that the Captains were just getting used to. I guess I shouldn't have binge watched all of Star Trek sans Discovery so the technology was well so recent this really bothered me. Oh sure they showed a TOS era communicator and phaser and some of the bridge noises but that was it.

And why does a new series always have to invent a different Klingon. Come on when Kahless was cloned he looked like Worf and not the Klingons in Discovery pilot. It was yet another negative.

The only positive was Sarek but that was it. My wife and I thought the acting and writing were not very good.

The result is that we watched the pilot and that was it. Two thumbs down here.

Side note: If this had been placed in a universe other than the Star Trek Universe it might have been OK. As it was it was still better than Jar Jar but not by much :confused:

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I keep forgetting to do this so here is my review of 'Star Trek Discovery'. I'm a trekkie (not trekker) that watched TOS in 1966 (yeah I'm old). I'm not a severe canon guy but this series, according to Memory Alpha Discovery is set abut 10 years before TOS. But how is that possible the technology on the bridge was vastly superior to NCC-1701. It wasn't just a matter of set decoration it was the technology. How often in the pilot did they use the holographic communication device? This device incidentally did not show up in TOS, NextGen. In DS9 100 years or so after Discovery it was presented as a new device that the Captains were just getting used to. I guess I shouldn't have binge watched all of Star Trek sans Discovery so the technology was well so recent this really bothered me. Oh sure they showed a TOS era communicator and phaser and some of the bridge noises but that was it.

And why does a new series always have to invent a different Klingon. Come on when Kahless was cloned he looked like Worf and not the Klingons in Discovery pilot. It was yet another negative.

The only positive was Sarek but that was it. My wife and I thought the acting and writing were not very good.

Side note: If this had been placed in a universe other than the Star Trek Universe it might have been OK. As it was it was still better than Jar Jar but not by much :confused:

I mean, yes, every show is going to update the look of the ships, even the NX-01 looked more modern than the ncc-1701. But i dont think anyone would want ships looking like those clunky 60s ships.

The klingons.. were what they were. I dont have an issue with the new design, but regardless the show moves past them into more fun things later.

Seems a bit premature to judge a series without getting past the pilot- hell if you just watched the pilot did you get to the USS discovery even?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

If you stick with the series they explain why Discovery is more “advanced” than NCC-1701 and then why it’s never referenced again (spoiler for the upcoming Season 3).

If you can stick with it I recommend you get to S2 where they re-introduce the original crew of the Enterprise: Captain Christopher Pike, Number 1(played by Rebecca Romijn) and Spock. They are making a new series based on this crew which should be a bit reminiscent of the original series.

kcbob79clone

I mean, yes, every show is going to update the look of the ships, even the NX-01 looked more modern than the ncc-1701. But i dont think anyone would want ships looking like those clunky 60s ships.

The klingons.. were what they were. I dont have an issue with the new design, but regardless the show moves past them into more fun things later.

Seems a bit premature to judge a series without getting past the pilot- hell if you just watched the pilot did you get to the USS discovery even?

I really like the clunky 60s ships, maybe it is a nostalgia thing. As far as the NX-01 goes they got the little things right. The consoles looked like they could have come from a power plant instead of a starship instead of hundreds years in the future. Sadly we are an instant gratification society, some shows we don't even finish.

Come on man, you can disagree with my comments but why mark it dumb? Come on man.

kcbob79clone

If you stick with the series they explain why Discovery is more “advanced” than NCC-1701 and then why it’s never referenced again (spoiler for the upcoming Season 3).

If you can stick with it I recommend you get to S2 where they re-introduce the original crew of the Enterprise: Captain Christopher Pike, Number 1(played by Rebecca Romijn) and Spock. They are making a new series based on this crew which should be a bit reminiscent of the original series.

Thanks for the info, I had forgotten about that. In our RV we don't have broadband we only have wifi and it can go from dialup speed to 3mb/sec so we really don't look at streaming stuff that often.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've still been plugging my way through Voyager at about 2-3 episodes a week. Almost to final season.

Just watched a really fantastic late episode "Blink of an Eye" that made some of the bad episodes before and after totally worth it. Great true sci-fi.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron