Stanley, Vaughn & Lee Back for 2023

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Vaughn will be a starter at one of the LB spots.

Other contenders will be the 3 true freshman this year (McLaughlin, Willich, Imming) a couple of guys who have had run on special teams (Mendeszoon, Marshall) and a guy who was injured this year (Jacob Ellis).

Just my opinion but I think the starters will be McLaughlin in the middle, Vaughn and Willich on the outside.
Good to know Ellis was hurt. He had solid JUCO credentials but didn't see him on game participation reports. Always get nervous about potential of late spring adds.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
Vaughn will be a starter at one of the LB spots.

Other contenders will be the 3 true freshman this year (McLaughlin, Willich, Imming) a couple of guys who have had run on special teams (Mendeszoon, Marshall) and a guy who was injured this year (Jacob Ellis).

Just my opinion but I think the starters will be McLaughlin in the middle, Vaughn and Willich on the outside.
You also have to wonder if a kid like Ebel or Sadowsky in this class shows up and snags some PT like WM did this year.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I'll welcome anyone back on defense, great news assuming they are using their extra year at ISU.

I think I'm glad Stanley is coming back, but I'm not sure that's a slam dunk for being a positive. Do we need new blood for this offense? Does his return impact some of our young WR's ability to get on the field? Does it impact their decision to possibly transfer away? Does his return limit our ability to sign a WR transfer?
I look at the more position competition the better. Also, I'm not sure who are the young WR's we expect to make a push to start next year. I hoped to see Jackson and Gaines get some snaps this year- but no such luck. Maybe Adams.

Seems to me we need a big WR to emerge to replace Hutchinson. IMO WR is the position group where ISU looks far behind other Big12 schools. We seem to lack the freak athletes and elite speed.

Reactions: SDClone

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I do think that they could find someone in the portal to up the competition a little.
Contrary to the current state of the offense, the defense, and it's staff, is in position to get older,
more experienced guys in the portal, that want to play in an elite system.

• Winner
Reactions: BACyclone

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I'll welcome anyone back on defense, great news assuming they are using their extra year at ISU.

I think I'm glad Stanley is coming back, but I'm not sure that's a slam dunk for being a positive. Do we need new blood for this offense? Does his return impact some of our young WR's ability to get on the field? Does it impact their decision to possibly transfer away? Does his return limit our ability to sign a WR transfer?

When have you ever seen this coaching staff not play the best guys? If Stanley isn’t a top guy he won’t be out there

Reactions: Aclone

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Stanley needs to go vertical a lot more next year and be the big play threat.

Probably need another WR that can snag 40-50 balls next year so there is more of a balance between Noel, Stanley, and #3 receiver.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Stanley needs to go vertical a lot more next year and be the big play threat.

Probably need another WR that can snag 40-50 balls next year so there is more of a balance between Noel, Stanley, and #3 receiver.
Not sure Noel or Stanley are #1 receivers. We made need to hit the transfer or JUCO's hard for a bigger receiver with speed.

That's a really tall order.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Not sure Noel or Stanley are #1 receivers. We made need to hit the transfer or JUCO's hard for a bigger receiver with speed.

That's a really tall order.

Nobody is replacing Hutchinson. I’m suggesting we try to add another receiver that can pull a 60 yard game out of their hat every once in awhile to keep defenses honest

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Assuming we don’t have NIL defections from the likes of Tampa, Purchase, Freyler, Oneyedim, or Orange the D will be dominant next year.
D should be awesome for next year.

I look at a Orange or an Onyedim and think, really good players - but there's zero way I could say "yeah they are a lock to start at Florida, A&M, or Miami". Those schools get quality talent as well. I hope the guys on the team don't make the same mistake Craig McDonald made, he doesn't even start on a crappy Auburn team.

Craig McDonald's story would say there are risks to picking up quarters in front of the steam roller. I'm sure he would trade whatever check he got this year to actually get playing time. If there's no playing time - there's no hope for the pros.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
D should be awesome for next year.

I look at a Orange or an Onyedim and think, really good players - but there's zero way I could say "yeah they are a lock to start at Florida, A&M, or Miami". Those schools get quality talent as well. I hope the guys on the team don't make the same mistake Craig McDonald made, he doesn't even start on a crappy Auburn team.

Craig McDonald's story would say there are risks to picking up quarters in front of the steam roller. I'm sure he would trade whatever check he got this year to actually get playing time. If there's no playing time - there's no hope for the pros.
Especially at a school where the head coach is on the chopping block

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
This year has sucked no doubt but we are closer than it looks. Nobody has pounded us. Better than the old days when we would get absolutely crushed. Then it felt so far away to even be competitive. At least we are competitive. I know I’m polishing a turd
I agree with this 100%. Losing stinks, but this year is not like the Cyclone losses of old.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I think I disagree with the general sentiment on Stanley here. He hasn’t really impressed me too much, and has stone hands most of the time. It’s different if he’s further down the depth chart, but he could very well be out second option next year

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Hope the We Will Collective is enough to keep him around.
Hopefully Brent is having better luck getting financial support versus the Cyclone Club‘s nominal donors. I need to confirm our YE and Q1 household finances and then I intend to make a donation.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
One issue that stanley has and Adams will also is that our running game is so poor that safeties sit in a cover 2 and kill the deep ball which is Stanley’s specialty. We need to get a running game that at least gets one safety to walk up or have defenses play an extra linebacker to stop it.

Reactions: ZmillaTLK

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I thought Gaines might get some play at WR, but I see he only had one catch for 2 yards all year. Has there been any reports on his progress at all? Did he get hurt and I missed it?

ZmillaTLK

Roll Clones Baby
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 15, 2022
Altoona, Iowa
Losing Tampa is the one I’m worried about
Losing Tj Tampa would be a huge loss for this secondary hope Campbell and co realize how great he is and will become, and find a way to keep him around. But if someone comes calling with more money most likely saying goodbye.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Anyone know how Ikenna Ezeogu has looked in practice this year? I was hopeful he could be Will McDonald's replacement at some point?