Stanley, Vaughn & Lee Back for 2023

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Awesome news to get three starters back that could have been gone. This also signals that the culture is still good despite all the noise going on outside the program.

This year has sucked no doubt but we are closer than it looks. Nobody has pounded us. Better than the old days when we would get absolutely crushed. Then it felt so far away to even be competitive. At least we are competitive. I know I’m polishing a turd

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
This. Just the thought of this going forward makes college athletics really hard to get attached to because of NIL. It's like the girl you want to fall in love with but don't let yourself because you're scared you're gonna get burned.
Well you do that. I’m not personally going to make myself miserable by not being able to enjoy when a player does well here.

Could the player always leave? Sure. But until that moment happens, he’s a Cyclone.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Nice to see Vaughn coming back. If you're starting Vaughn, McLaughlin, Willich, that's not a bad LB group. I do think that they could find someone in the portal to up the competition a little. Mendeszoon has played some. I expect to see jumps from Imming, Ellis and Carston Marshall. Caleb Bacon has played some as a walk-on. I expected Zenzen to play more than he has this year. We've gotten nothing from Cole Peterson or Aiden Ralph and they could very well be portal candidates. It would not surprise me at all to see TRFR Sadowsky and Ebel see some snaps.

On the DL, assuming everyone is back...Lee, Anderson, Singleton...that is not much of a step down if any. Especially backed up by Orange, Peterson, Onyedim. Trent Jones has played some as a walk-on. I would guess that we see a little more of Howard Brown if he sticks around. Will be interesting to see if RSFR Ezeogu and Hamann can break into the rotation. Would not surprise me to see Johnny Wilson and Jayden Gray hit the portal. Also, I could easily see Samuel Same come in to rush the passer.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Vaughn is a little small for middle IMO.

Roughly same size as the current MIKE for the Kansas City Chiefs.

A bit small, yes, but you just have to have a nose for the football and avoiding the blocks to make the tackle in the middle. The outside guys need to be the most athletic, freak dudes and length really helps.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Roughly same size as the current MIKE for the Kansas City Chiefs.

A bit small, yes, but you just have to have a nose for the football and avoiding the blocks to make the tackle in the middle. The outside guys need to be the most athletic, freak dudes and length really helps.
Shedding blocks is not Vaughns best trait either.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Shedding blocks is not Vaughns best trait either.

I'm not sure Vaughn necessarily needs to be the starter at MIKE, maybe we are hoping he's the #2 there, but having him on the depth chart and in the room for one more season is a definite plus for 2023.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Assuming we don’t have NIL defections from the likes of Tampa, Purchase, Freyler, Oneyedim, or Orange the D will be dominant next year.
I'd be really curious to see how last year's defections performed statistically this year with their new teams. My gut says our 'system' helped them excel here, but elsewhere they were less.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I'm not sure Vaughn necessarily needs to be the starter at MIKE, maybe we are hoping he's the #2 there, but having him on the depth chart and in the room for one more season is a definite plus for 2023.
Vaughn will be a starter at one of the LB spots.

Other contenders will be the 3 true freshman this year (McLaughlin, Willich, Imming) a couple of guys who have had run on special teams (Mendeszoon, Marshall) and a guy who was injured this year (Jacob Ellis).

Just my opinion but I think the starters will be McLaughlin in the middle, Vaughn and Willich on the outside.

Reactions: Aclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Did he say they were coming back to ISU?
Check the last minute or so from his presser on Tuesday.

He said they had conversations going into the season with the three, they didn't go through senior day ceremony and by all indications they are coming back.

Curious if they discussed a leadership role on next year's team like Johnson, Vance and Hutchinson had this year.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
This is huge. Vaughn has continued to improve and that gives us a returning starter at LB. Lee is really good. And Stanley gives us a solid returning WR to go with Noel.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I'll welcome anyone back on defense, great news assuming they are using their extra year at ISU.

I think I'm glad Stanley is coming back, but I'm not sure that's a slam dunk for being a positive. Do we need new blood for this offense? Does his return impact some of our young WR's ability to get on the field? Does it impact their decision to possibly transfer away? Does his return limit our ability to sign a WR transfer?