Stanford Cutting Wrestling Program

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Just saw this in a Mpls article, mostly about a Twin Cities wrestler on the Stanford team, and see we have a thread on it. Stanford was carrying a crazy number of sports, 36, and cut 11. They pretty much won the Directors Cup every years because they had a team in EVERYTHING and also good teams. Even in good times I had wondered how they supported all of the those teams. Locally I am interested in the impact to the Gophers, who also support a pretty huge number of sports at 24.

Beat writer for the San Jose Mercury News:

Jon Wilner
@wilnerhotline

·
"My point: The university has so much money, it could cover the athletic department's shortfall by mistake and never realize it: school simply chooses not to."

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And to backup the degree angle here's what the Minnesota kid had to say in the Star Tribune:

Once the upcoming season is over and the sport is officially eliminated, [Tyler] Eischens will be faced with another dilemma: Transfer to another school and continue his collegiate wrestling career or remain in Palo Alto and pursue a degree in computer science.

“We were told that if we stay at Stanford, we’ll continue to receive whatever athletic aid we’ve been getting until we graduate,” he said.

“I’m not ready to end my wrestling career, but a degree from Stanford is an amazing opportunity. It’s not an easy choice.”

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
And to backup the degree angle here's what the Minnesota kid had to say in the Star Tribune:

Once the upcoming season is over and the sport is officially eliminated, [Tyler] Eischens will be faced with another dilemma: Transfer to another school and continue his collegiate wrestling career or remain in Palo Alto and pursue a degree in computer science.

“We were told that if we stay at Stanford, we’ll continue to receive whatever athletic aid we’ve been getting until we graduate,” he said.

I’m not ready to end my wrestling career, but a degree from Stanford is an amazing opportunity. It’s not an easy choice.”

Think it over, sure you are.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Not much of a shock to me. COVID continues to cost sports programs across the country and I'm sure there will be more cuts. Stanford is cutting 11 sports..men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball and wrestling.

That's why they were always at or near the top in the all-sports standings. They drop 11, meanwhile if I counted correctly, we have a total of 16.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
12% of the Stanford undergrad student body are varsity athletes, wow. They really love that Directors Cup.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron