jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I will also have to nit-pick Jay Jordan. I think ISU's struggling offense streak goes back 5 games. Starting with UT last year, ISU is averaging 5.5 pts/quarter. If the 20-pt 4th quarter against KU (which seems to be an anomaly) is taken out, the average drops to 4.4 pts/quarter. Over those 5 games, ISU has been shut out in 7/20 quarters.

Last edited:

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
TCU 17-10

Until this team (and Tom Manning) proves me wrong I have no confidence

source.gif

I haven't seen confidence this low for a game we're (technically) favored in for a long time! Perhaps since the CMC era began.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
The first quarter is a defensive struggle and neither team scores or even does anything particularly eventful. Punter U.

In the second quarter, Purdy throws an interception, setting up TCU for a short field goal which they get. On the ensuing kickoff, Kene has a pretty good return setting us up at mid field. Tight End Easton Dean catches 2 big passes, the 2nd of which is a 4-yard TD. At halftime, it's 7-3 ISU.

Third quarter our first drive ends in a punt during which one Cyclone falls down, and 2 others badly overshoot the returner, and he takes it to the house. TCU now leads 10-7, and Cyclone Fanatic begins to melt down. Later in the quarter, the Clones defense is looking pretty stellar and TCU is called for a chop block penalty in their own end zone, for a saftey! It's now TCU up by 1, going into the last quarter, 10-9.

Early in the 4th, TCU marches down the field running it right at us, and it's one of those times (that seem to happen at least once every single game) where all our guys forget how to tackle for the entire drive. TCU punches in a QB sneak with their 3rd string QB; 17-9. Cyclone Fanatic is reaching critical mass.

Since our receivers have been dropping passes all day, Manning finally decides to try something new, and tells Purdy he can do whatever he wants -- scramble, get outside the pocket, whatever. Just go have fun. At this point, some walk-on WR we've never heard of before, probably named Jim Buxton or something like that, becomes the receiver equivalent of Kyle Kempt, and catches 7 passes in 2 drives, including an 80+ yard bomb for a TD. Cyclones score twice in the final 5 minutes, one TD and one short FG, and end up winning 19-17.

In the post game press conference, Campbell talks about "margins" and "process." He also explains how he's had his eye on Jim Buxton for a long time and he wasn't surprised at his emergence one bit.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: acoustimac

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Jay Jordan needs to "Take a Step Back!"

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
TCU wins. ISU offense has looked, well, like a bad offense for several games now. TCU wins by at least ten. If Downing is out the margin is likely bigger. This tram is going to have to show substantial improvement before I bet on them.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
ISU comes back from 13 down in 4th QTR, to take the lead 14-13 with Purdy running/throwing, with 20 sec left. Ensuing KO goes outta bounds, setting up short field. Tent defense gives up 3 first downs, one on a PF, one on a PI and one on blown coverage. TCU kicks a 40 yd FG with no time remaining for the win. TCU 16-ISU 14

This is the epitome of a cyclone football kick in the balls. Everyone wear your cups Saturday!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
ISU has entered the time to prove it to me.
Serious question, does Patterson lose season openers?

Reactions: khardbored

PredominantISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2014
When do we hear about testing results? Appears Iowa State is already on the way to Fort Worth. I believe Jamie posted something, at this point in time, regarding COVID tests results before the LA game.

Jamie said during the call in show last week that he won’t likely be making weekly updates but he choose to the first week just to show appreciation to those in support of going ahead with the season.

Reactions: Billups06

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Conversely, I’m at a loss for how some folks seem to think TCU’s offense is going to score 20+ against this defense.
Special teams can score, as we learned in the opener.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Horny Toads: 14
'Clones: 10

Cyclone Defense is great. Cyclone Offense is bad. TCU wins on late, special teams touchdown. Prove me wrong Cyclones.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
ISU comes back from 13 down in 4th QTR, to take the lead 14-13 with Purdy running/throwing, with 20 sec left. Ensuing KO goes outta bounds, setting up short field. Tent defense gives up 3 first downs, one on a PF, one on a PI and one on blown coverage. TCU kicks a 40 yd FG with no time remaining for the win. TCU 16-ISU 14

I was there last year. Too soon.