Stadium Discussions, Starting With Hilton.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think prior to the renovations, GIA was smaller, more intimate, and full. Now that it's bigger, it's not full, and the energy has kind of left the building.

Only thing I got, as I've never been there either.

^This. Plus it sucks for TV with the a court view that only a bat hanging from a ceiling rafter could appreciate.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It was quite some time ago and I have no idea where.

Only thing I could find in short order (a column from 2013) ... Based on your description I don't know if it's what you were referencing. (Mostly about how increasing attendance was a wasted move)

• Informative
Reactions: CtownCyclone

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Only thing I could find in short order (a column from 2013) ... Based on your description I don't know if it's what you were referencing. (Mostly about how increasing attendance was a wasted move)

That’s probably it.

Reactions: cyclones500

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Well whatever they do to modernize Hilton, and when, I hope they do it right.

Perhaps we could learn something from Phog Allen arena. IIRC, built in mid-50's, modernized several times since then, expanded once not long ago.

What were the lessons there? What did they did right/ wrong?

Like not having a way for players to get from the court to the locker rooms without ushers needing to hold ropes so that players can cross the concourse!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Like not having a way for players to get from the court to the locker rooms without ushers needing to hold ropes so that players can cross the concourse!
Ha. Silly architects!

Always good to have somebody in the know, like a player or two, a coach, etc., involved in the deciden' before the buildin' gets started or done.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
The only Gallagher I knew smashed watermelons with mallets and drenched the front rows of the crowd...same dude? :)

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Everyone buy a few powerball tickets. If you win, sign it over to Jamie. That will fix everything. Problem solved.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Well whatever they do to modernize Hilton, and when, I hope they do it right.

Perhaps we could learn something from Phog Allen arena. IIRC, built in mid-50's, modernized several times since then, expanded once not long ago.

What were the lessons there? What did they did right/ wrong?

I don’t think there are any lessons to be learned from expanding historic arenas like GIA or Phog versus a more modern arena like Hilton is. It’s basically apples vs oranges.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah