SONOS Connect Music System

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Does anyone have any experience with this system? We are looking for alternatives to radio to play over the speakers in the practice I work at. It looks like it has audio out to hook into the existing sound system. Wondering how the functionality of the different stations and everything work. Thanks!

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Seems a little overkill to me. Have you decided on a music service? Something like Pandora, XM, Google play, etc?

ccruzen

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 19, 2009
Urbandale
I've got one and love it. It provides audio out in either RCA, Coax, or Toslink so as long as your current system can accept one of those it should do what you're looking for.
Depending on the source you want to use it could be perfect. I mainly use Google Play Music but you can use a bunch of different streaming music services.
If you have any more questions, reply or PM me and I can help answer as best I can.
I also might be selling my Connect, should know later today if you're interested.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
I'm assuming we would be using it mostly for Pandora and Sirius. I would be able to just log in with my personal Sirius login and we could use it in the office, right?

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Seems a little overkill to me. Have you decided on a music service? Something like Pandora, XM, Google play, etc?

Why do you say that? We would need some kind of device to be the "catalyst" to the receiver, right? Price is not an issue with the doctor I work for.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm assuming we would be using it mostly for Pandora and Sirius. I would be able to just log in with my personal Sirius login and we could use it in the office, right?
Technically yes, I assume Sirius/XM has a business package just like Pandora though so you're not supposed to use the personal logins for a business.

Chad

Sep 10, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I have Sonos set up with different 9 zones, subscribe to 4 different music services including Sirius, have DirecTV audio input to one, an Airport Express to another for airplay. If you are looking for "whole house" or at least multiple rooms it's really good. Set up is easy, haven't had a streaming issue in years, good sound.

Big12Cy

Jan 13, 2008
I have had it for 4 years or more, and have really like it. I have an amplified connect unit running outdoor speakers, and two non-amplified for upstairs and downstairs.
If you are only running one unit to feed all speakers in the office, you could probably technically get by with a cheap laptop, tablet, or even old phone to stream Pandora (or whatever) through the office.

One thing to keep in mind, with multiple connects, they are not perfectly in sync so when walking between areas that are running under different connects, you have a slight echo effect due to the delay between units.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
I have had it for 4 years or more, and have really like it. I have an amplified connect unit running outdoor speakers, and two non-amplified for upstairs and downstairs.
If you are only running one unit to feed all speakers in the office, you could probably technically get by with a cheap laptop, tablet, or even old phone to stream Pandora (or whatever) through the office.

One thing to keep in mind, with multiple connects, they are not perfectly in sync so when walking between areas that are running under different connects, you have a slight echo effect due to the delay between units.

That's interesting, I will have to double check with the doctor. I know we were having some issues with the speakers over in the new expansion area of the office (we bought out the adjacent suite and took the wall down). The electricians have been in a couple times messing with stuff. If we don't notice an echo now, would we notice it with the new system?

Big12Cy

Jan 13, 2008
That's interesting, I will have to double check with the doctor. I know we were having some issues with the speakers over in the new expansion area of the office (we bought out the adjacent suite and took the wall down). The electricians have been in a couple times messing with stuff. If we don't notice an echo now, would we notice it with the new system?

You will only have the echo effect if you have more than one connect unit running and of course you only notice it when you are in a location where you can hear the speakers from both of those units. For example, I have one Connect running upstairs, and another downstairs. When I am walking on the stairs between the two areas you can hear the echo (delay) between the two units.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
You will only have the echo effect if you have more than one connect unit running and of course you only notice it when you are in a location where you can hear the speakers from both of those units. For example, I have one Connect running upstairs, and another downstairs. When I am walking on the stairs between the two areas you can hear the echo (delay) between the two units.

Gotcha. Makes sense. I will check and see if we would need 2 units, I think we only have one receiver, but I'm not sure. If we have a couple I'm assuming there is no way to split the out and we would need two units?

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Looking to have this system installed in our house with the sonos sound bar and subwoofer and then link the play 3 or play 5 to the sound bar to take around the house/outside. Our home will be controlled by Control4 so the play 3 or play 5 can sink with soundbar and play TV audio throughout the house/outside during sport events on TV.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I've had Sonos for a couple years now and absolutely love it! It's so flexible and so much easier to set up than running speaker wires everywhere. I use the free Pandora service with mine along with my iTunes playlists. Isolating rooms or bunching rooms together and controlling it all over your phone or iPad is awesome!

MSPClone210

Jul 8, 2013
Minneapolis
We have our house wired with SONOS and love it. Each room has its own unit and can be controlled via iPhone app. Living room has the sound bar, then each additional room has its own box. Can play different or same stations in each room. Plenty of music applications (XM, Spotify, Pandora, direct line, etc.)

Worth every penny !

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron