Some Cyclones hoop thoughts..........

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ohly2311

Jan 7, 2014
I think 2022-23 is going to be a special season for many reasons and the NCAA has possibly set us up well.......I believe the Clones will be a 1, 2, 3, or 4 seed in the tournament next year.....I know some will think I'm crazy but if we get AJ Green, this team will be very special.....as in can win the Big 12 special..........as in can make a deep run in March special......

So how has the NCAA possibly set us up come March??......well one of the site's for the 1st and 2nd rounds is in Des Moines, IA which would make it very difficult for any team trying to beat us........massive fan advantage + GREAT TEAM usually means two wins and on to the Sweet 16......well if we get to the Sweet 16 in the Midwest Regional next year it's in Kansas City and Hilton South would be rocking in what could be a chance at a Final Four.......I know some of you think I'm getting ahead of myself but let's break down this roster:

UP FRONT:

I have watched as much Tre King film as possible and the kid can just flat out play......he's going to be really good at the four spot.......he can score, rebound, block shots, and he is also physical......likely starting next to him will be Osun Osunniyi, who is a MASSIVE upgrade over Conditt.....I love George and he was a solid Cyclone for the 12 years that he spent in Ames but he is not in the same class as Osun.........our defense will be very tough to score on with him in the middle but it gets even better because when he comes out of the game, Hason Ward comes in and is also a great shot blocker (think poor mans Hakim Warrick).......he's long and erases a lot of shots from the weakside......Jaz Kunc will be our do-it-all guy playing the 3, 4, or 5 off the bench.......and if Robert Jones does return, he provides tremendous depth.....Demarion Watson is not talked about by hardly anyone on this board but down the road he's going to show Cyclone fans that he's essentially Melvin Ejim with a little more dribble game........he's a keeper who should be impacting the team in 2023-24.

Overall, this front court is way better than last year as it's not even close

Losing Brockington and Tyrese obviously hurts but when you bring back Kalscheur and then add Jeremiah Williams, Jaren Holmes, and likely AJ Green, you are actually putting yourself in a better position......those four rotating with Caleb Grill provide all we need but as the the season progresses, I expect Lipsey and King to be pushing them as both are very talented and have a very bright future in Ames

Overall, this team is one of the deepest Cyclone teams ever and if AJ Green does in fact head to Ames, I truly feel this is a Top 10/15 team easily

Some people are surprised by TJ Otzelberger and how fast he has the program rolling but I'm not at all......that's because years ago I published the ISU scout page and got to talk with TJ on a weekly basis and there are three things about him as a recruiter that jumped out at me over the years:

1)He's a tremendous judge of talent.......he would constantly see guys at AAU tournaments that no one was talking about and then a month or two later, these players would fly up the rankings yet he had noticed them way before anyone else......some of the guys we would land but others kept rising and ended up at Duke, Arizona, KU, etc.......

2)He recruits guys who have a chip on their shoulder and who have some mental toughness........he brings in winners that will come in and practice hard and that are team oriented......

3)He's not afraid to compete for a recruit......a lot of people thought Osun was heading to Florida but TJ closed the deal and got him

He's currently going toe-to-toe with the big boys in regards to Omaha Biliew and while many sources are saying KU, I still feel we have a chance.......bottom line is he looks at ISU as a team that should be competing for Big 12 titles every year.....his expectations are through the roof and with us continuing to win in 2023 it's only going to enhance our chances to keep building a big time program

Whether we get Biliew or not, the other guy to pay attention to is Milan Momcilovic.......this kid is a flat-out stud (great shooter) from Wisconsin who we have been after for a long time.......he would be a massive get for the program

Overall, next season is going to be a lot of fun and if we do somehow get to the Final Four........it's in Houston......just in case you were wondering......Go Clones!!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Meh...

The team last year played many games way above their heads. They were pretty lucky to be as successful as they were. The simply out worked a lot of teams that were more talented.

I realize it is a new team, but let's see what we have in the fall before we start talking about a top 4 seed in the spring.

ohly2311

Jan 7, 2014
Meh...

The team last year played many games way above their heads. They were pretty lucky to be as successful as they were. The simply out worked a lot of teams that were more talented.

I realize it is a new team, but let's see what we have in the fall before we start talking about a top 4 seed in the spring.
You have your right to your opinion but they weren't playing above their heads......they were just better than ISU fans expected.......you don't beat Oregon State (Elite 8 team a year before), Memphis, Xavier, Iowa (by 20), and Creighton (on the road) by just playing above their heads.......they were outstanding defensively (stats don't lie) but inconsistent on offense which lead to some tough losses in the Big 12.......their offense will be a lot more balanced next year and they will be better defensively.......

You don't have to believe me but it's not false hope....this team will be very good next year........national writer John Rothstein just tweeted out today that due to TJ Otzelberger landing Osunniyi, the Cyclones will likely be making another run to at least the Sweet 16.....his words, not mine.......it's okay to get excited as this program is only going in one direction and it's up.....big time!

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I think 2022-23 is going to be a special season for many reasons and the NCAA has possibly set us up well.......I believe the Clones will be a 1, 2, 3, or 4 seed in the tournament next year.....I know some will think I'm crazy but if we get AJ Green, this team will be very special.....as in can win the Big 12 special..........as in can make a deep run in March special......

So how has the NCAA possibly set us up come March??......well one of the site's for the 1st and 2nd rounds is in Des Moines, IA which would make it very difficult for any team trying to beat us........massive fan advantage + GREAT TEAM usually means two wins and on to the Sweet 16......well if we get to the Sweet 16 in the Midwest Regional next year it's in Kansas City and Hilton South would be rocking in what could be a chance at a Final Four.......I know some of you think I'm getting ahead of myself but let's break down this roster:

UP FRONT:

I have watched as much Tre King film as possible and the kid can just flat out play......he's going to be really good at the four spot.......he can score, rebound, block shots, and he is also physical......likely starting next to him will be Osun Osunniyi, who is a MASSIVE upgrade over Conditt.....I love George and he was a solid Cyclone for the 12 years that he spent in Ames but he is not in the same class as Osun.........our defense will be very tough to score on with him in the middle but it gets even better because when he comes out of the game, Hason Ward comes in and is also a great shot blocker (think poor mans Hakim Warrick).......he's long and erases a lot of shots from the weakside......Jaz Kunc will be our do-it-all guy playing the 3, 4, or 5 off the bench.......and if Robert Jones does return, he provides tremendous depth.....Demarion Watson is not talked about by hardly anyone on this board but down the road he's going to show Cyclone fans that he's essentially Melvin Ejim with a little more dribble game........he's a keeper who should be impacting the team in 2023-24.

Losing Brockington and Tyrese obviously hurts but when you bring back Kalscheur and then add Jeremiah Williams, Jaren Holmes, and likely AJ Green, you are actually putting yourself in a better position......those four rotating with Caleb Grill provide all we need but as the the season progresses, I expect Lipsey and King to be pushing them as both are very talented and have a very bright future in Ames

Overall, this team is one of the deepest Cyclone teams ever and if AJ Green does in fact head to Ames, I truly feel this is a Top 10/15 team easily

Some people are surprised by TJ Otzelberger and how fast he has the program rolling but I'm not at all......that's because years ago I published the ISU scout page and got to talk with TJ on a weekly basis and there are three things about him as a recruiter that jumped out at me over the years:

1)He's a tremendous judge of talent.......he would constantly see guys at AAU tournaments that no one was talking about and then a month or two later, these players would fly up the rankings yet he had noticed them way before anyone else......some of the guys we would land but others kept rising and ended up at Duke, Arizona, KU, etc.......

2)He recruits guys who have a chip on their shoulder and who have some mental toughness........he brings in winners that will come in and practice hard and that are team oriented......

3)He's not afraid to compete for a recruit......a lot of people thought Osun was heading to Florida but TJ closed the deal and got him

He's currently going toe-to-toe with the big boys in regards to Omaha Biliew and while many sources are saying KU, I still feel we have a chance.......bottom line is he looks at ISU as a team that should be competing for Big 12 titles every year.....his expectations are through the roof and with us continuing to win in 2023 it's only going to enhance our chances to keep building a big time program

Whether we get Biliew or not, the other guy to pay attention to is Milan Momcilovic.......this kid is a flat-out stud (great shooter) from Wisconsin who we have been after for a long time.......he would be a massive get for the program

Overall, next season is going to be a lot of fun and if we do somehow get to the Final Four........it's in Houston......just in case you were wondering......Go Clones!!
Good analysis. I agree with you that our front court is much improved this offseason. Eli King and Osun O. are massive upgrades over our big guys from last year. That improves rebounding, offensive efficiency, and our overall defense.

If we get Green from UNI I think we are primed for a run out of the first weekend of March Madness, without him, still a solid team and probably dancing.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
In that regard, if nothing else matching (or surpassing) 21-22 level should require less of a strain. If ISU can maintain scratch-and-claw tendency/"personality," but be more well-rounded talent-wise, that bodes well.

Reactions: VeloClone

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Meh...

They also played below their heads many games. If we can land AJ, this next team won’t be scoring 40 points in any single game next year.

Reactions: WhoISthis

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
You're probably going to be disappointed if those are your expectations. Just hope they can make the tourney again and hopefully win a few games.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019

UP FRONT:

Nice to see someone post anything about Tre King contributing next season. I think he shows as much potential as a couple of the bigs we were after. Actually I’d take him and Osunniyi over any of the combination of bigs we were after. It’s like people forgot about him because he has to miss 10 games.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012

UP FRONT:

That's quite the optimistic take. It was an enjoyable read, but when I got done, I soon returned to "can we really expect 'that' much?" mode. Of course the depth is much better and we have some rim protectors and lots of good wing span defenders. But I feel we're putting way too much into "if AJ comes". Cuz what if he doesn't? I could see him being talked into a contract by an NBA team of some sort and placed in the GLeague. You don't have to necessarily get drafted, do you? Guess I don't know how it works.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I love your enthusiasm but you’re wildly ahead of yourself!

This is exactly what everyone said to me in December. In fact.....many dumb's were thrown my way because I was stating we would win 20 games and make the tourney.

While I understand that many things bounced our way.....if the guys next season can play together like the team did last year, there is no reason to think they can't duplicate the win total and tourney run. Hopefully better.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
“I believe the Clones will be a 1, 2, 3, or 4 seed in the tournament next year”

“Hilton South would be rocking in what could be a chance at a Final Four”

Hmmm
There you go. You proved my point. That’s a long way from “ISU will be a 1 seed and make the final four”. Which is what you said you read.

isuclone89

Oct 23, 2007
Medical Lake, WA
I like your optimism. I look at it that I will be happy if we make the tournament.

If the team gels like this year's I will start expecting more. I guess I don't follow recruiting to much, and take the wait and see approach.

Reactions: NWICY

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
They also played below their heads many games. If we can land AJ, this next team won’t be scoring 40 points in any single game next year.
Yes, top 175 offense is not playing above their heads.

We had the talent to be a very good defense last year. That hasn’t changed

Reactions: swimmercy