Solo Stoves

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Is it just hot to the touch or does it actually throw heat out? My wife has been interested in a gas table top fire for the deck but my hesitation has been that they don't seem to actually provide warmth.

I also have a small yard and haven't wanted to dedicate an area to a permanent fire pit or drag pavers out to the yard every time we have a fire. The option to move it between the deck and yard is really intriguing. I see on the website they claim the stand makes it safe for directly on grass or a deck.

Anyone ever used one of the stands?
It's throws heat. My foot was within a few inches or so on a cold night. Foot never caught on fire, but the bottom of the shoe was starting to brown. Overall, so long as you don't have massive pieces of wood spilling out of the pit, I'd feel safe having it on a deck with the ring stand it comes with underneath it.

Reactions: gj524

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Between this and the damn woodworking thread, CF is going to cost me a lot of money! The wife and I have been debating fire pits. I'm draw to the traditional stone pit in the backyard because that is what I always had growing up in the country. The biggest downside was always the smoke. Now we have these options which cut down smoke drastically AND I could potentially take them on camping trips. Very tempting.

Does anyone have any experience with the Yukon vs the Bonfire?

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
I picked up a Ranger (smallest actual firepit they make) for our camper. Love it, though I do need to make sure that I find wood short enough to fully drop inside. If it sticks up past the rim it'll smoke some (not a ton).

They do sales around major holidays - I'd hold out for that. Got almost 40% off and free shipping over 4th of July.

• Informative
Reactions: JP4CY

5Cy

Jun 26, 2015
I have the Bonfire and love it! The portability is great. Some nights we have it in the driveway, and others on the back patio. Great for s’mores once you’ve got a good bed of coals. The “smokeless” feature comes from the secondary burn. Once the fire gets going and it’s loaded with wood the ventilation holes around the top essentially create an afterburner effect that minimizes the smoke. It’s pretty cool when it’s really cranking. It’ll chew through the wood pretty quick so you’ll want to stock up on wood if you plan to use it a lot. It’ll burn through a gas station bundle in less than an hour. I buy my wood by the pickup load. Much cheaper that way. There’s nothing better than sipping whiskey by the solo stove on a cool fall night.

Reactions: Tailg8er and Acylum

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Very interesting, never knew these existed. Thanks for posting, I’m a buyer.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Went with the Yukon backyard bundle (includes stand and screen to keep embers from blowing around). Pricey, but produces a hell of a fire. Have it on a wood deck and used it twice so far.
View attachment 90171

Any issues with the deck beneath? That's essentially what I want. Something I can be on my deck (we just got it redone) this fall when it gets colder.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I have the Bonfire and love it! The portability is great. Some nights we have it in the driveway, and others on the back patio. Great for s’mores once you’ve got a good bed of coals. The “smokeless” feature comes from the secondary burn. Once the fire gets going and it’s loaded with wood the ventilation holes around the top essentially create an afterburner effect that minimizes the smoke. It’s pretty cool when it’s really cranking. It’ll chew through the wood pretty quick so you’ll want to stock up on wood if you plan to use it a lot. It’ll burn through a gas station bundle in less than an hour. I buy my wood by the pickup load. Much cheaper that way. There’s nothing better than sipping whiskey by the solo stove on a cool fall night.

I think I definitely want the bonfire or the yukon. The bonfire seems more easy to move around. I'd want it on the driveway or deck. Does it fit decent size pieces of wood or do you just saw them up?

ESciGuy

Mar 16, 2010
Joliet, IL
Any issues with the deck beneath? That's essentially what I want. Something I can be on my deck (we just got it redone) this fall when it gets colder.
No issues. Moved it to a corner of the deck after the two uses and didn't burn a hole through ;) Seriously, no evidence an extremely hot fire had been above the location. Bought the Yukon since don't plan to move it off of the deck. Uses the same firewood as is used in the woodburning stove inside the cabin.

Decided to have a pail of water handy on the second use. If I ended up needing it, all that probably would have accomplished is spreading the fire more evenly on the deck :p

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
They are awesome. My neighbor bought one. I had to get one. Then a friend of mine had to get one.
I've camped when the ground was really wet and hard to get a fire going in the campground pit. Get out the solo stove and it goes instantly. Once you get the fire going, you just throw wood into it. Doesn't have to be stacked any certain way.
They are so efficient too. I'm amazed how much wood can be burned and really how little ash is left.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
No issues. Moved it to a corner of the deck after the two uses and didn't burn a hole through ;) Seriously, no evidence an extremely hot fire had been above the location. Bought the Yukon since don't plan to move it off of the deck. Uses the same firewood as is used in the woodburning stove inside the cabin.

Decided to have a pail of water handy on the second use. If I ended up needing it, all that probably would have accomplished is spreading the fire more evenly on the deck :p

I'm debating between the Yukon and the model one size smaller.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Went with the Yukon backyard bundle (includes stand and screen to keep embers from blowing around). Pricey, but produces a hell of a fire. Have it on a wood deck and used it twice so far.
View attachment 90171
Just bought this same package. Yah, pricey, but what the hell, you only live once. Question, when you're done for the night, and it's sitting on wood/composite, is there a decent manner to smother the flame instead of pouring water on it. I don't want to do that. Don't think the "'package" comes with a lid? Thanks!

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Can anyone comment on what you do when done?
1. Do you put water on it or let it sit? If you let it sit are there any concerns with leaving it unattended?
2. If you let it sit, is it bad for the unit if it rains and it’s not covered?
3. Do you clean up the ash every time? I think someone said these burn efficiently so there is t much left? Does that sound right?

Reactions: mj4cy

5Cy

Jun 26, 2015
I think I definitely want the bonfire or the yukon. The bonfire seems more easy to move around. I'd want it on the driveway or deck. Does it fit decent size pieces of wood or do you just saw them up?
The interior diameter of the bonfire is about 17.5 inches so 16 inches or less is ideal.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Personally, we've just let ours burn out all night and haven't been hit with a rain though so no idea of rusting issues yet or anything. Clean out is easy as they do burn most all of the wood to little ash. I've made sure to make sure it's down to small embers though before leaving it unattended in a safe spot outside.

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
If anybody is looking to get one, they're doing a flash sale this weekend - $130 off the bonfire: