Soldier Field Turf - Why?

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Sadly enough, this is the most believable explanation offer here so far. The politics and unions cost that city a ton of money.

I agree it probably is the complete corruption of the Chicago park district. At some point, you would think the NFL and the other teams would refuse to play on it.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
The tire chip stuff looks like garbage

Bears are my 2nd favorite team behind the Raiders. I like how the field falls apart in Chicago and all the mud and stains that go along with it.

Oakland will mess things up in the AFC West this year too.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Sadly enough, this is the most believable explanation offer here so far. The politics and unions cost that city a ton of money.

Its not a contract or union issue a all. Soldier Field is owned by the chicago park district. Basically, both parties feel the other should absorb the cost of putting down a good playing surface. In the end, the Bears organization still works from the model when they were founded. Keep as much money as possible with the owners, spend as little as possible.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
It is horrible. Northwester's field is never that bad, and the weather hear is no different than Iowa. Can't imagine anyone enjoys playing in that mud bog.

Northwestern grows their grass really long- almost like playing football in a pasture.

Also- the NFL teams can wear much longer cleats than you can in college. In college the maximum length for cleats is 5/8", whereas the NFL they can wear longer than 1" cleats if they want. The turf will get more tore up quicker.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Its not a contract or union issue a all. Soldier Field is owned by the chicago park district. Basically, both parties feel the other should absorb the cost of putting down a good playing surface. In the end, the Bears organization still works from the model when they were founded. Keep as much money as possible with the owners, spend as little as possible.

This very true. Not a Bears fan but living out here it is clear the family depends on the business to provide their lifestyle. Which is strange, if they would do it, the Bears could be worth so much more. They already dominate Chicago, but they could literally be worth as much if not more than the Steelers, and Cowboys if the family would spend the money.

I know a few Bears fans that hope that when Virginia dies, they are forced to sell to cover the taxes. Which is pretty sad, but if they haven't planned right could happen.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Northwestern grows their grass really long- almost like playing football in a pasture.

Also- the NFL teams can wear much longer cleats than you can in college. In college the maximum length for cleats is 5/8", whereas the NFL they can wear longer than 1" cleats if they want. The turf will get more tore up quicker.

If this is true, which I have not reason to believe it isn't, how come the only stadiums that have true issues are, Soldier field and Heinz Field. Everyone else that plays on natural grass seems to have no problems. I get it if one year, you get a **** ton of rain or something, but every year Soldier field looks like ****, every year without fail.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
If this is true, which I have not reason to believe it isn't, how come the only stadiums that have true issues are, Soldier field and Heinz Field. Everyone else that plays on natural grass seems to have no problems. I get it if one year, you get a **** ton of rain or something, but every year Soldier field looks like ****, every year without fail.

Green Bay has a grass and synthetic mix if I remember correctly. Denver also. There's some technology behind their fields. Chicago....not so much

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

I don't know about the Soldier Field, but Heitz also houses the Pitt Panthers and the state playoffs (last I knew) which was more than a few games.

The turf in Pittsburgh really only goes to hell in Oct/Nov - which of course is a full half a season +

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
This very true. Not a Bears fan but living out here it is clear the family depends on the business to provide their lifestyle. Which is strange, if they would do it, the Bears could be worth so much more. They already dominate Chicago, but they could literally be worth as much if not more than the Steelers, and Cowboys if the family would spend the money.

I know a few Bears fans that hope that when Virginia dies, they are forced to sell to cover the taxes. Which is pretty sad, but if they haven't planned right could happen.

Dollar Bill Wirtz's death was the greatest gift to the Chicago Blackhawks.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
49ers have some problems with their turf. That brand new stadium has wi-fi for days but cant get a decent playing field.

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_26374980/jim-harbaugh-halts-49ers-practice-after-levis-stadium
Coach Jim Harbaugh cut short the 49ers' final public practice at Levi's Stadium on Wednesday after divots kept coming up and players such as Stevie Johnson perilously lost footing on the 4-month-old sod.

Johnson wiped out making a cut near the north end zone, and after one more play, Harbaugh led his team off the torn-up field, which is scheduled to host Sunday's nationally televised exhibition against the San Diego Chargers.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Boo-hoo. These poor millionaires slipping and falling on real grass. What a crime.

Let's just go ahead and take all of the testosterone out of the game. Balloons and hugs for everyone:

[video=youtube;CpV852GDbGQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpV852GDbGQ&list=PLVTm4FVGnoXyERNl9rMFTsHyU_VGj0-M-&index=22[/video]

I fondly remember my days of football practice on the same damn field everyday. Nothing but weeds and dirt hard-packed by our cleats. We jokingly called it "fuzzy concrete."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron