Snowbirds

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
In various threads I've read of people spending their winters in the South.

How does that work from a living arrangement standpoint?

Do you buy a condo and only live their for 3-4 months? Do you rent? Timeshare? RVs?

This is something my wife and I might look into in another 10-15 years. Thanks for any insight!

Reactions: RoseClone

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
My plan is going the RV/trailer route first that way we can try different places. If there is something that looks like a good permanent place then maybe buy/rent.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
My parents got too old for camping. Sold their 5th wheel and bought a modular in Texas.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

Do you buy a condo and only live their for 3-4 months? Do you rent? Timeshare? RVs?

This is something my wife and I might look into in another 10-15 years. Thanks for any insight!

Rent your first few years to see where exactly you'd like to make a regular trip to. Both my ex-in-laws and parents did this and said it was the smartest thing they did. They both tried parts of Florida, and Arizona. Ultimately my parents bought a house in AZ and went back and forth until finally settling in AZ full-time. The risk here is that their place got robbed, apparently over a series of days, by a maintenance person in the neighborhood who knew they were gone for months at a time.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Great Scott is an epic run. Love me some Snowbird. Not for the faint of heart.

b45d084c2ad69658a44a359e1f950913.jpg

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I work with a guy that has a condo in Destin Fl. Of course he lives near Atlanta Ga. so he has more opportunities to use it. I imagine when he retires soon he'll just move there.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've been looking at getting a condo at a vacation spot. As part of it you have the opportunity to put your condo in the pool of rooms that hotel guests can stay in since it's also a resort. Talking with one guy and he says he puts his in the pool while he's not there and gets his mortgage back and more.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

We've wintered in our motorhome in the Rio Grande Valley of South Texas quite a few times since 2007. Usually around Mission or Mercedes and at different RV Resorts each winter. The Valley has everything you need for the winter stay as they have been hosting northerners for over a hundred years. The people are friendly and the prices are reasonable.

The "winter texans" are a vital part of their economy and are treated as such with huge welcoming parties thrown for them at the beginning of each season (other areas of the country view them as nuicances). There is even a migration route from and to Canada down to the RGV that roughly follows I-35.

It's one heck of a scene down there as hundreds of thousands of "winter texans" converge on the area each winter. And let me tell you, those "old people" party hard. They even have Cyclone Club events there, set up especially for the winter texans.

A couple of years we wintered in AZ, CA, NM moving from one RV Resort to another every couple of weeks. Spent a couple of weeks each time staying in Borrego Springs, CA while visiting my son who lives in Solana Beach, CA. That's the nice thing about wintering in an RV, you have lots of flexibility on where and how long that you want to stay. Plans can be changed on a whim. Some winters we are just too busy to get away, so no problem, we just keep the motorhome in storage here until spring.

Most RV spaces are rented by the season but some are rented by the month. Reservations have to been entered as early as possible, as repeat visitors get dibs on the spaces and the resorts fill up fast.

Our leased site one winter near Mission, TX that we ended up staying at for three months because it was so nice:
100_8815-resized.jpg

Last edited:

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
In AZ, some of the nicer but not wealthy retirement communities have small plots of land which modular homes sit on. You buy the house but you rent the plot and have to pay "rent". This keeps the home prices modest (say $100k) but you also have to pay the monthly rent year round.

Renting a house to winter in can be an expensive affair. You have to get in early and you'll pay a ridiculous amount, to the point it's almost cheaper to rent year round. Typical 3 bed homes can rent for $3k+/month in the winter.

You'll definitely want to scope out the areas well before deciding. Some neighborhoods are great, some are trash. You can also look outside of Phoenix - Maricopa, Casa Grande and Florence are popular wintering places that aren't too far from the city but are not part of the metro.

Most of the retirement communities are on the edges of Phoenix but there are also some in the heart of Mesa, closer to downtown.

kcbob79clone

11 years ago we sold everything and hit the road in our RV, best decision we ever made. We have wintered in the Phoenix area, Gulf Coast of Texas and Hill Country of Texas. I just saw your thread so if this is a repeat I apologize. Snowbirds have been known to do all the options you mentioned. RV is probably top of the list followed by buy what is called a park model, essentially a smaller mobile home, and just leaving there year round. After the initial expense you just have a monthly (or yearly) lot rental. In Arizona there is also monthly electric because you would want a humidifier and air conditioner to run during the summer. People have left RVs there year round and have put 55 gallon plastic drums full of water in the RV.

Probably TMI because it will all depend on what you like. Try a few different places before you decide. We are both retired so can't talk about working from home but one thing to research is connectivity. RV Parks for both RVs and park models are notorious for poor WiFi speeds.

Hope this helps,

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We've wintered in our motorhome in the Rio Grande Valley of South Texas quite a few times since 2007. Usually around Mission or Mercedes and at different RV Resorts each winter. The Valley has everything you need for the winter stay as they have been hosting northerners for over a hundred years. The people are friendly and the prices are reasonable.

The "winter texans" are a vital part of their economy and are treated as such with huge welcoming parties thrown for them at the beginning of each season (other areas of the country view them as nuicances). There is even a migration route from and to Canada down to the RGV that roughly follows I-35.

It's one heck of a scene down there as hundreds of thousands of "winter texans" converge on the area each winter. And let me tell you, those "old people" party hard. They even have Cyclone Club events there, set up especially for the winter texans.

A couple of years we wintered in AZ, CA, NM moving from one RV Resort to another every couple of weeks. Spent a couple of weeks each time staying in Borrego Springs, CA while visiting my son who lives in Solana Beach, CA. That's the nice thing about wintering in an RV, you have lots of flexibility on where and how long that you want to stay. Plans can be changed on a whim. Some winters we are just too busy to get away, so no problem, we just keep the motorhome in storage here until spring.

Most RV spaces are rented by the season but some are rented by the month. Reservations have to been entered as early as possible, as repeat visitors get dibs on the spaces and the resorts fill up fast.

Our leased site one winter near Mission, TX that we ended up staying at for three months because it was so nice:
View attachment 73637
We've talked about doing that. What is the typical $$$/month? Right now we have a 25-year-old 32' Winnie, but we've been talking about upgrading to a more modern one with pullouts...and a motor that doesn't vapor-lock in the foothills of the Rockies... :(

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
My in-laws go to Arizona and spend January-March there. They rent in an older condo community and really enjoy it. If you plan on renting, you need to make your decision fast, because according to them, places go quickly. If you know of others that go down on annually, check with them and see if there is the opportunity to get in where they are - you can try it out for the first year and if you like go back, if not look for another area.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I've been looking at getting a condo at a vacation spot. As part of it you have the opportunity to put your condo in the pool of rooms that hotel guests can stay in since it's also a resort. Talking with one guy and he says he puts his in the pool while he's not there and gets his mortgage back and more.

Not sure I would want creepers in my condo.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016

View attachment 73637

probably be a big damper this year with COVID winter coming.

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
We've talked about doing that. What is the typical $$$/month? Right now we have a 25-year-old 32' Winnie, but we've been talking about upgrading to a more modern one with pullouts...and a motor that doesn't vapor-lock in the foothills of the Rockies... :(
Go for it, lady! The last winter stay was in 2017 and we got a spot in Llano Grande Resort and Country Club in Mercedes at $500/mo during peak season as I recall. We paid for one month and then the registration lady asked if it was our first time staying there and I told her it was. She then she said OK, you get a second month free. So we got a two month stay for around $500. Price now runs $500/mo to around $800/mo peak season. That includes all of the resort amenities which are a bunch. https://www.llanogranderesort.com/

Our spot at Llano Grande:

DSCN2315-resized2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CTTB78 and Cy4Lifer

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Go for it, lady! The last winter stay was in 2017 and we got a spot in Llano Grande Resort and Country Club in Mercedes at $500/mo during peak season as I recall. We paid for one month and then the registration lady asked if it was our first time staying there and I told her it was. She then she said OK, you get a second month free. So we got a two month stay for around $500. Price now runs $500/mo to around $800/mo peak season. That includes all of the resort amenities which are a bunch. https://www.llanogranderesort.com/

Our spot at Llano Grande:

View attachment 73645
The limiting factor for us right now is cats. No way we could keep them in a motorhome, so it would require a house/cat sitter. Two months is a loonnnnggg time. Plus, gots ta have muh basketball! :D

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
The limiting factor for us right now is cats. No way we could keep them in a motorhome, so it would require a house/cat sitter. Two months is a loonnnnggg time. Plus, gots ta have muh basketball! :D
Chuckle...we travel with three cats and sometimes the granddaughter and one of her friends. I just train the cats to be good and they toe the line! :D

20170302_181823-resized.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron