Similac formula recall

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Why would you round up to an odd number? No you were just plain wrong. And your number still isn’t right. And you are clearly clueless about the real world if you believe all professional women work at home and work in jobs that allow for constant breaks to breastfeed.

You are the Dumbest poster in this thread, by a wide margin.
You can argue with the CDC if you’d like to.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
This thread as really shown me how little I know about about post birth. I already know that I know little about pregnancy in general, but this has shown how much littler I know. Really failure of our education system when it comes to our health.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
You can argue with the CDC if you’d like to.
After you posted false numbers, you desperately googled a story that you didn’t even interpret correctly. Then you made the ridiculously dumb claim that all professional women can work at home and breastfeed all day long. You going to blame that one on the CDC?

Yeah the CDC isn’t making that claim. Nor do they just “round up” 12% points from 83 to 95%. You are clueless.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
After you posted false numbers, you desperately googled a story that you didn’t even interpret correctly. Then you made the ridiculously dumb claim that all professional women can work at home and breastfeed all day long. You going to blame that one on the CDC?

Yeah the CDC isn’t making that claim. Nor do they just “round up” 12% points from 83 to 95%. You are clueless.

It's very likely true that 80%+ women try to breastfeed. And then as so many of the posts here have alluded to - work or supply or stress or time or baby's latch, nipple type, or lack of support etc., etc., make it too big of a mountain to climb. I know more women who have imported domperidone from Canada than who flat out said they never wanted to try breastfeeding (also a valid choice). I'm far more familiar with the women still pumping every 3 hours at 6 or even close to 12 months - so never sleeping more than 2.5 hours at a time. Or triple feeding for weeks. A mom in my mom group nearly developed post partum psychosis from the lack of sleep and anxiety around trying to breastfeed. Her doctor told her to stop for her own sanity after she developed hallucinations. So yeah, ignorant men with useless nipples mansplaining breastfeeding to women but willing to do NOTHING to support implementation of policy that would help support women to nurse for longer if they want? **** right off.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This thread as really shown me how little I know about about post birth. I already know that I know little about pregnancy in general, but this has shown how much littler I know. Really failure of our education system when it comes to our health.

This is a really, really good observation that gets at the importance of diversity of experience and perspective in leadership. When you look at those making many of our policies and laws - they do not have firsthand experience with these things. Many have/had stay at home partners which makes the experience around breastfeeding different. So then you have people in charge who think it's easy for all women, women who don't are just lazy, and have a total blind spot toward the work, time, stress, and effort involved. And not just breastfeeding, but postpartum in general. You're recovering from a major medical event, potentially surgery, and now you have to be up every 2 hours feeding a baby who doesn't know what they are doing - you don't know what you're doing - and oh hey, it's been 6 weeks if you're lucky so time to go back to work. You aren't even done bleeding and likely have stitches still healing. It's not even kinda hard to see why many families will say this is unsustainable, we need to switch to formula to get mom's head above water - or it's not even a choice because the stress meant a supply never really developed.

Last edited:

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
So if you have a six month old that has been on formula to this point, how easy do you think it would be to make that switch? It isn't like all these babies that need formula are newborns.

He probably thinks boobs turn on and off like a faucet.

• Haha
Reactions: carvers4math

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
and last for now but it's just too ironic - I was in a training for women last year and the facilitator was sharing an anecdote about the difference in confidence between men and women. Said she was at an event and the question was asked, "who in this room thinks they are an expert on breastfeeding". Many of the women - who had had children - did not raise their hands. When asked, they said because they had didn't nurse for long, or they never had good supply, etc. etc. But several MEN raised their hands claiming that yes, they were experts on breastfeeding. When asked, they said well my wife breastfed so I know what it involves. Which is of course, not even close to the same thing. My husband can code in SQL. I know he does that, I even see him typing sometimes. Doesn't make me an expert at SQL.

I always wondered WTF man who wasn't some kind of pediatrician or lact consultant would raise their hand for that and now I know, because we have cycloneML in this very thread.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Just admit you pulled that number out of your ass and were wrong. Because you don’t round up 12 percentage points. And I’m not going to give you any leeway because you’re being a judgmental *******.

Plus, that article doesn’t say what you want it to. Because while the article says 83.2% of women started breastfeeding it doesn’t say why most stopped prior to one year. So you can’t draw conclusions from that.
But we now know men can breast feed! If you can’t find formula and baby can tolerate breast milk (also a problem not acknowledged by this new math, not all of them can), maybe we can set up scheduled feedings every two hours and send them over to his place!

Reactions: cowgirl836 and MJ29

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
going through a 4 month sleep regression right now and it's brutal.

my wife is feeding him 2/3 times a night

we thought about supplementing with formula but we only have 1 container and don't really want to scramble to try and find some if we ran out.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
This is a really, really good observation that gets at the importance of diversity of experience and perspective in leadership. When you look at those making many of our policies and laws - they do not have firsthand experience with these things. Many have/had stay at home partners which makes the experience around breastfeeding different. So then you have people in charge who think it's easy for all women, women who don't are just lazy, and have a total blind spot toward the work, time, stress, and effort involved. And not just breastfeeding, but postpartum in general. You're recovering from a major medical event, potentially surgery, and now you have to be up every 2 hours feeding a baby who doesn't know what they are doing - you don't know what you're doing - and oh hey, it's been 6 weeks if you're lucky so time to go back to work. You aren't even still bleeding and likely have stitches still healing. It's not even kinda hard to see why many families will say this is unsustainable, we need to switch to formula to get mom's head above water - or it's not even a choice because the stress meant a supply never really developed.
So many great points. I was working with the first two and miscarriage in between. At some point after the third one we decided the daycare costs and stress weren’t worth it and we could manage better if I stayed home. Nursing is a million times easier at home. Not everyone can afford to do that. But the isolation with little ones can be stressful too. Unlike the Leave It to Beaver days, there weren’t lots of other moms and kids around in the daytime. Might be easier now with more people working at home. I remember when I was on maternity leave with the oldest being paranoid that the Drake Diner murderer was going to be compelled to come get us. And while nursing is easier, work was less work for me than taking care of my kids full time. I was exhausted by the physical demands of dealing with my kids all day by myself when I first quit my job.

Postpartum depression is not taken nearly seriously enough. The demands and lack of sleep and pain and perfectionism and clueless people ready to criticize everything you do are sometimes dehabilitating. I was fortunate enough not to be recovering from a c-section on top of everything else. Not much concern by some about what is best for the mother and including that in the equation for what is best for the family.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
You said 95% are capable (avoided answering where you got that info and if that was full nutrition.)
You finally showed a link that says 83% started.

Those aren't exactly apples to apples in % and meaning.
Right. And that doesn’t even address women who do breastfeed but don’t produce enough so they need to supplement with formula.