SEC will talk about having its own playoff

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

"How it could play out is the SEC having an eight-team playoff after its regular season. Afterward, the SEC Playoff winner could play another team for the National Championship. How that other team would be determined is another unknown. It might be the Big Ten champion, as CFB becomes dominated by a ‘Power Two.’"

Thought this was an interesting article.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
FWIW, I don’t see the Big 10 joining. They’d have more to gain by dominating the majority of CFB (or they at least think they’d dominate) than having Ohio State lose to Bama every year.

Reactions: Zyklon

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
FWIW, I don’t see the Big 10 joining. They’d have more to gain by dominating the majority of CFB (or they at least think they’d dominate) than having Ohio State lose to Bama every year.
Honestly, I don't know what to believe anymore. It's all about money and in turn power, and everyone in media is making sure those select few are maintaining their place. And at some point if its money and power that they want and/or gain then anything is possible.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I really don't care what happens anymore. Just so tired of it all.

All the greed is just nauseating. Part of me would love it if the fans just revolted and quit supporting college football at all and let them suffer... like most families in the country.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I say they should just do it.

The Big 10, PAC 12, ACC, and Big 12 champs comprise the 4 team playoff.

If the other 4 leagues band together and refuse to play the SEC, it would be amazing.
That would be my first reaction- the other P5 not play the SEC for a National Championship. But the money would be substantial- so greed would win out.

Why would a 16 team conference have an 8 team playoff, other than a money grab. Teams 6-8 will be 7-5 teams! Sounds like boring first round games. Would love for So. Carolina as an 8 seed beat Bama or Georgia!!

If SEC is looking to create their own 8 team playoff- they may look to add 4-8 more teams.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
That would be my first reaction- the other P5 not play the SEC for a National Championship. But the money would be substantial- so greed would win out.

Why would a 16 team conference have an 8 team playoff, other than a money grab. Teams 6-8 will be 7-5 teams! Sounds like boring first round games. Would love for So. Carolina as an 8 seed beat Bama or Georgia!!

If SEC is looking to create their own 8 team playoff- they may look to add 4-8 more teams.
That was my first thought when I read this. It makes it sound like they will be looking to add more teams.

Somewhat of what was talked about a year or so ago, the SEC and B1G would add more teams to create super leagues then become self governing, and eliminate the NCAA. At which point they would play for league championship, then have a National Championship between them.

And I thought of this again when Sanky told the ACC that they were willing to agree to the playoff expansion if it happened now, but if they refused it at this time and pushed it off for a couple years like they did, the SEC may not be so agreeable. Meaning They would be setting themselves up for a completely different system. Enter above scenario.

At which point you may see 18-24 teams in the SEC and B1G each. Relegating the rest to a new tier between what is now the P5 and the G5.

Where do we fit in that scenario? Currently I think we are on the outside looking in but could go either way depending how things go the next couple years, and how many teams make it. We are a bubble team so to speak I believe. What would be a major factor is if those leagues keep their current teams, ie. does the B1G keep Rutgers in this scenario or replace them with someone, will they do that, can they do that? etc.

Reactions: cyfanatic

20eyes

May 15, 2020

"How it could play out is the SEC having an eight-team playoff after its regular season. Afterward, the SEC Playoff winner could play another team for the National Championship. How that other team would be determined is another unknown. It might be the Big Ten champion, as CFB becomes dominated by a ‘Power Two.’"

Thought this was an interesting
One true champion!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
That was my first thought when I read this. It makes it sound like they will be looking to add more teams.

Somewhat of what was talked about a year or so ago, the SEC and B1G would add more teams to create super leagues then become self governing, and eliminate the NCAA. At which point they would play for league championship, then have a National Championship between them.

And I thought of this again when Sanky told the ACC that they were willing to agree to the playoff expansion if it happened now, but if they refused it at this time and pushed it off for a couple years like they did, the SEC may not be so agreeable. Meaning They would be setting themselves up for a completely different system. Enter above scenario.

At which point you may see 18-24 teams in the SEC and B1G each. Relegating the rest to a new tier between what is now the P5 and the G5.

Where do we fit in that scenario? Currently I think we are on the outside looking in but could go either way depending how things go the next couple years, and how many teams make it. We are a bubble team so to speak I believe. What would be a major factor is if those leagues keep their current teams, ie. does the B1G keep Rutgers in this scenario or replace them with someone, will they do that, can they do that? etc.
20 teams, 4 divisions. Top 2 per division make playoffs.

• Agree
Reactions: MisterO

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
This is what happens when the NCAA doesn’t control the post-season in a sport. Looking back at that, probably one of the biggest mistakes the NCAA could have made.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I say they should just do it.

The Big 10, PAC 12, ACC, and Big 12 champs comprise the 4 team playoff.

If the other 4 leagues band together and refuse to play the SEC, it would be amazing.

My first thought when I heard this: if the SEC goes through with this, every school with an SEC team on their schedule should drop them. Immediately.

They want to play in their own backyard, let ‘em. They want to pretend their conference is special and superior to everybody else, fine. Then they don’t get to play against anybody else.

Of course this will never happen, because $$$$$, but damn - I wish overreaching arrogance and the belief you’re the Gods of college football could be countered by the rest of CFB just telling the SEC … you’re so special, you need your own playoff, then you don’t need the rest of us.