Sci Fi remakes

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I didnt mind the recent Thing, but something about that old Carpenter camera look makes me more uneasy.
Yeah, the latest remake was decent, but still can't beat the Carpenter remake. It is one of my favorite movies and I pretty much own just about every John Carpenter movie. Seriously underrated director. He is also a freaking genius with the musical scores in his movies (he does the music himself). No matter how many times I watch that movie, I still jump out of my seat on that scene when they administer blood tests to all their station personnel.

If you are a fan of video games, the video game for The Thing on Xbox/PS2 was pretty amazing as well. You're a member of a team sent to the Antarctica station after the events in the movie. You lead a squad of team members with different skills (engineers, medics, soldiers, etc) and can manage their trust by giving them better weapons or taking them away, sending them out first into rooms, providing prompt medical assistance, etc. You can also give your team members blood tests, if they come back negative, they won't like you for testing them.

You also got to meet/find other people at the station that you could rescue. It was pretty intense. Sometimes you would be in the middle of a firefight against the aliens/alien dogs/creatures only to have one of your team members behind you turn into one of those things as well. Or sometimes have team members attack each other or you because they do not trust you or someone else in the team. You could also kill one of your team members, but if they turned out to be human the rest of the team would start shooting at you. The ending was totally worth the price of admission, as it ties into the movie.

Get yourself a copy for cheap (can probably find it for about $5-10). You can thank me later.

Reactions: bos

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I really hope that a few years after Star Wars 9 that they go to the cash cow and remake Episodes 1-3. Completely ditch most of the story except for some key points. There are really no redeeming qualities of those 3 movies, so no one will be up in arms, and it would make a crap ton of money. It's really a perfect candidate for remakes.

Also, for those that are Last Starfighter fans, check out the book Ready Player One, which is also being made into a movie. I don't think the movie will do it justice, so definitely check out the book if you like to read.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Yeah, the latest remake was decent, but still can't beat the Carpenter remake. It is one of my favorite movies and I pretty much own just about every John Carpenter movie. Seriously underrated director. He is also a freaking genius with the musical scores in his movies (he does the music himself). No matter how many times I watch that movie, I still jump out of my seat on that scene when they administer blood tests to all their station personnel.

If you are a fan of video games, the video game for The Thing on Xbox/PS2 was pretty amazing as well. You're a member of a team sent to the Antarctica station after the events in the movie. You lead a squad of team members with different skills (engineers, medics, soldiers, etc) and can manage their trust by giving them better weapons or taking them away, sending them out first into rooms, providing prompt medical assistance, etc. You can also give your team members blood tests, if they come back negative, they won't like you for testing them.

You also got to meet/find other people at the station that you could rescue. It was pretty intense. Sometimes you would be in the middle of a firefight against the aliens/alien dogs/creatures only to have one of your team members behind you turn into one of those things as well. Or sometimes have team members attack each other or you because they do not trust you or someone else in the team. You could also kill one of your team members, but if they turned out to be human the rest of the team would start shooting at you. The ending was totally worth the price of admission, as it ties into the movie.

Get yourself a copy for cheap (can probably find it for about $5-10). You can thank me later.

The two spots that get me are the dogs and when they go to administer chest compressions on that guy.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron