RV, Camper or 5th Wheel

What type of RV would you advise someone to purchase?

• RV - class A

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • RV - class C

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Camper

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 5th Wheel

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
My wife and I will be retiring in the next 4 to 5 years and want to do some traveling in the U.S. (National Parks and other sights). We are planning on buying something in the next couple of years but don't really know the pros and cons of each type of RV. If anyone has any experience with RV's (class A, class C, Camper or 5th Wheel) if you could pass on some experience and thoughts I would appreciate it.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I pull trailers (not campers) for work a lot. Life is too damn short to do that in retirement IMHO.

Voted Class C. Smaller and easier to get around is my thinking.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I have a 5th wheel camper and love it. While we have not taken it across the country, I wouldn't be afraid to. They pull and back better than a bumper hitch. You also get to drive a nice pickup and have that to sight see once you get your camper set. I know a few people that have been around bigger RVs and they can be a handful at times when driving. The smaller RVs could be nice but they do lack space.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
It’s really a question of how much you want to spend. Go to a show and start looking at layouts and how much space you need. Obviously the bumper hitch and 5th wheels, in general, are a completely different price point. If you go the trailer route, make sure you have enough truck to pull sufficiently. Yes, you can get by with a half ton for the feather lights and such but its waaay more comfortable when you have more truck than you need, especially getting into hills and mountains.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
It’s really a question of how much you want to spend. Go to a show and start looking at layouts and how much space you need. Obviously the bumper hitch and 5th wheels, in general, are a completely different price point. If you go the trailer route, make sure you have enough truck to pull sufficiently. Yes, you can get by with a half ton for the feather lights and such but its waaay more comfortable when you have more truck than you need, especially getting into hills and mountains.
Price between RV vs camper may not be that much different for us since if we go with a camper we will have to buy a truck as well. Not planning to buy new probably slightly used.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I have a 5th wheel camper and love it. While we have not taken it across the country, I wouldn't be afraid to. They pull and back better than a bumper hitch. You also get to drive a nice pickup and have that to sight see once you get your camper set. I know a few people that have been around bigger RVs and they can be a handful at times when driving. The smaller RVs could be nice but they do lack space.

How is a 5th Wheel easier to pull and back - can a truck pull a larger 5th Wheel than camper.

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
We have a Camper and it works best for our lifestyle. When we get into a town we are able to unhitch and explore the area, rather than having to have to take our whole house with us wherever we go.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
It’s really a question of how much you want to spend. Go to a show and start looking at layouts and how much space you need....

Agree. I would have voted class B w/slide.
Ruled out Class A for cost reasons (would also need a tow vehicle) and trailers because of convenience.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Price between RV vs camper may not be that much different for us since if we go with a camper we will have to buy a truck as well. Not planning to buy new probably slightly used.

You’ve also got a nice daily driver with the trailer option and a 3/4 ton SRW pickup. I think there’s a reason you see a ton more trailers out there than RVs. Just go look at some of the shows and research A LOT in person. You can get a lot of space out of trailers with nice layouts and can get some really nice deals at places like the state fair and camping shows.

I don’t personally know anyone with the RV type so I can’t comment on the advantages. I can only imagine maintenance is a lot more of a PITA as well, especially if you’re on the road.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
My grandparents go to Texas every winter and they have a 5th wheel they pull behind there 3500 Silverado. Also pull another trailer behind it. I dont think they have had many/any issues. Seems to have enough room for them.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
How is a 5th Wheel easier to pull and back - can a truck pull a larger 5th Wheel than camper.

The hitch weight is over you rear axle not your bumper. With a bumper hitch you will squat your pickup more and take weight off your front end. You can turn and back a 5th wheel a lot tighter because you don't have to worry about hitting the back of your pickup, the 5th wheel basically gives you bigger angles to backup. Hitches for a 5th wheel are also heavier duty than a bumper hitch. The 5th wheel also makes the camper more stable for going down the road, it is just a better way to pull things. With the 5th hitches they have today you can pull everything out of your pickup in a few minutes and have a whole box to use for use.

Here is what I have in my pickups.
http://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/turnoverball

Here is what I have to pull my camper with, but there are other options out there, that pull out of the Turnover easily.

http://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/fifth-wheel

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
The hitch weight is over you rear axle not your bumper. With a bumper hitch you will squat your pickup more and take weight off your front end. You can turn and back a 5th wheel a lot tighter because you don't have to worry about hitting the back of your pickup, the 5th wheel basically gives you bigger angles to backup. Hitches for a 5th wheel are also heavier duty than a bumper hitch. The 5th wheel also makes the camper more stable for going down the road, it is just a better way to pull things. With the 5th hitches they have today you can pull everything out of your pickup in a few minutes and have a whole box to use for use.

Here is what I have in my pickups.
http://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/turnoverball

Here is what I have to pull my camper with, but there are other options out there, that pull out of the Turnover easily.

http://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/fifth-wheel
Thanks, great info!

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
If your going to live in it for weeks at a time. Class A is the only way to go. Plenty of room and smooth driving.

If you will be driving a lot of miles you will want a diesel.

I own a bumper pull camper with a half ton truck. It's fine for camping a few hours from home on the weekends. But long trips I would want an upgrade.

sclotz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I had a 24’ class c for about 10 years. I bought it new in seattle when i lived there. My kids were younger and loved the bed over the cab. It was big enough for 2 adults and two young children but small enough to navigate large cities also. Once we hooked up electricity and water at a campground though, we didnt have a car to go sightsee. With a class c, you’re paying for the built in truck which you can’t use without the entire camper of course.make sure to take care of the roof regarding waterproofing. Once a leak starts, it’s difficult to stop. Good times.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
We started with a pop up, then a trailer, now a Class A. As Josh says, Class A is good for long distances and long stays. Have to tow a car, which is not complicated.

A large 5th wheel can work also but you have to be wanting to have a heavy duty pickup as your every day transportation 365 days a year. If that works for you, we have several friends that go that route and like it. I just never wanted to drive a pickup everywhere.

Class C can work but personally I can't imagine spending more than about 3 or 4 days in such a small space. And again you will want to tow a car.

We have had a Class A since 2010 and would want nothing else for long trips. Some RV dealers will rent out campers so that would be a good way to try out various options.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and 2020cy

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Get a really nice mini van. Stay in hotels or rent a house for a few moths at a time.

Fuel on trucks/campers will eat more than rent. Insurance, tires, oil changes...plus driving a huge ass RV or travel trailer isn't all that easy.

My dad delivered Winnebagos for a year or so for something to do. He's had a CDL and drove semi's for 40 years at the time. Said driving an RV was scarier than any semi. They're like a huge ass sail. They don't weigh much but have a huge profile.

Nick

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2006
My family (wife and two small kids) and I are currently spending this school year traveling the country pulling a 16-foot camper and love it!

We really like the nimbleness of being able to travel around and camp just about anywhere. It's quick to set up and unhitch if we want to drive our truck around, and we don't have to worry about bridge clearances when towing. But we had to sacrifice having some of the comforts of home (and space) with a smaller camper.

Backing up definitely has a learning curve, but I really enjoy it now that I got the hang of it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron