ZrK595k.gif

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Why?
They are clearly in a conference they have no business being in.
They have not competed in a single sport since joining.
They will be making more money going forward than they ever could have imagined in Big East.

Rutgers came out more than ahead here.
The big ten has made some huge profits off of Rutgers during this time. Rutgers brought huge money to the big ten for their footprint, the big ten gave them what the big east was giving them. If Rutgers had pulled their head out of their rear, they could have most likely realized that had they put together their own conference network, they would have made better money there. For 6 years they have stayed at big east levels according to the article. Does big money down the road matter if you are starved to death before getting there?

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
I got a few things out of that article:
1) Rutgers facilities really sucked prior to joining the B1G and are really still substandard when compared to the rest of the conference.
2) Poor contract negotiators. Why would you agree to 6 yrs of Big East level payouts when you knew the reason the B1G wanted you was to get their cable revenue into the NY/NJ market.
3) Self inflicted wounds. Poor Admin and coaching hires have been problematic for them, but that is self inflicted and cannot blame joining B1G for those items.
4) I would be pissed if I was a student at Rutgers having to pay $400 in fees just so 700 athletes can have the privledge of participating and using better facilities than I have access to. This does not count additional student ticket charges they pay as well (although given their performance, I don't think many are showing up).
5) B1G got exactly what they wanted in this deal - more eyeballs and thus revenue for conference due to market and a patsy program their premier programs could beat up on and pad their records. Win Win.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
The big ten has made some huge profits off of Rutgers during this time. Rutgers brought huge money to the big ten for their footprint, the big ten gave them what the big east was giving them. If Rutgers had pulled their head out of their rear, they could have most likely realized that had they put together their own conference network, they would have made better money there. For 6 years they have stayed at big east levels according to the article. Does big money down the road matter if you are starved to death before getting there?
I don’t think a Big East Network was ever a realistic option. Big 10 footprint and caché really got it off the ground to the point that Fox was willing to work to get it bundled with other programming. I don’t think many media companies would have been held hostage over a Big East Network.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
That doesn't seem ideal, but also not deadly if actual B10 money starts sometime soon.

You couldnt spend that much? Try building just one good facility!

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Rutgers and Maryland claim they can't find a copy of their Big10 contract? Big10 office doesn't want to respond either. What the hell is going on?
Randy 'Snoop Dog' Peterson needs to get a copy of TOE's copy through FOI.

Reactions: jcyclonee

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Any port in a storm thinking. Do you honestly believe that if the Big 10 came to ISU today and said "You're in but you are taking the same revenue that you made last year for the next 6 then be a full member" we wouldn't say "Yes sir!"? We absolutely would, we could only hope we would do so without writing a ton of IOUs in the future.

Reactions: WhoISthis

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Any port in a storm thinking. Do you honestly believe that if the Big 10 came to ISU today and said "You're in but you are taking the same revenue that you made last year for the next 6 then be a full member" we wouldn't say "Yes sir!"? We absolutely would, we could only hope we would do so without writing a ton of IOUs in the future.
If out tier 3 value was 50MM now, do you think we would run a 20MM hole for 6 years to collect 55MM later? Not close to apples to apples. And 50 could have been low