Robert Jones commits to ISU

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
For your content-hungry basketball fans, I came across this Robert Jones' interview and thought I'd share it in the forum. It was done in early April after he committed to ISU. I fast forward to the ISU-related part of the interview, in which he talked about how he was recruited and his thoughts about T.J.

One of his most impressive quotes was: Always think about others before yourself and treat everybody how you want to be treated.

At the end of the interview, he listed three goals.

1. Get ISU MBB out of the dreadful deficit we have been in the past few years.
2. Be the best starting big man on the team, be the player the team needs to win games.
3. Be a part of the ISU community and embrace the CyclONEnation.

I'm rooting for his success at ISU on and off the court, and I hope he exceeds our expectations in the upcoming season.

Enjoy!

How Robert Jones Plans on Bringing a Winning Mentality Back to Iowa State, Dawson Garcia, & Denver

Last edited:

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
It is nice to see him play a complete full year. Previous years he’d start good, and tend to disappear a lot once they got into the thick of conference play.

troutslayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2011
Persevere, this young man did, and we're glad he did. He made huge strides in the last year and became a difference-maker through hard work and never giving up.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
His defense is outstanding for a guy his size. Super intense at all times. Gets good rebounding position and makes good decisions with the ball. His vision and anticipation when passing is amazing. And on top of all of that, when he goes to the line, there's actually legitimate hope that one or both might go in the hoop. It's been fun watching him develop, and although message board discussions about his limitations were often contentious, those criticisms were often justified. His improvement has been really fun to watch, and I'll bet the coaches get a lot of satisfaction from his success.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
CF: wished we had 6' 10" players

Gets 6' 10" player

CF: he sucks
Always fun looking back on these! I remember just being thankful TJ was as getting commits considering the year prohm put the fan base through!

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
It is nice to see him play a complete full year. Previous years he’d start good, and tend to disappear a lot once they got into the thick of conference play.
You might have had the most bad takes in this thread.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I will say that I'm not necessarily in agreement about the "where this program currently sits" part. TJ was instrumental in turning this around in 2 years for Fred. This time we don't have to wait for the sit-out year. There's going to be 1400-1500 available players. That means every school in America can get 4+ guys. TJ and Co. may have to moneyball together the right 5 guys(or whatever) but given the overall situation this can happen fairly quickly. This is nothing like rebuilding a football program. We have name recognition, Hilton Coliseum and some not too distant success. It won't be easy for him but the opportunity is there to be a story next year. People keep asking "Why take this kid now". The answer is simple really. They think he's a serviceable kid in the system. TJ is not in panic or desperation mode so he's finding and taking players that he thinks can make an impact.

Nailed it

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
You might have had the most bad takes in this thread.

All I said was “eesh” and that a poster would be upset if prohm brought him in, those aren’t exactly awful takes. Up until this year he was hardly consistent, And would disappear a lot. That’s a fact. Happy to be wrong.

Take your stupidity to other people that had far worst takes.

Last edited:

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Ninety percent of ISU fans questioned whether TJ should have offered BRE a scholarship and the other ten percent lied. Way to prove everyone wrong Rob! You will go down of one of my favorite Cyclones of all time.
Yup, I will have to say I had no expectations and was critical at times but probably top 10 players in ISU history not for just his play but as his value to the program and more importantly how he was a huge part of a massive turnaround

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
For your content-hungry basketball fans, I came across this Robert Jones' interview and thought I'd share it in the forum. It was done in early April after he committed to ISU. I fast forward to the ISU-related part of the interview, in which he talked about how he was recruited and his thoughts about T.J.

One of his most impressive quotes was: Always think about others before yourself and treat everybody how you want to be treated.

At the end of the interview, he listed three goals.

1. Get ISU MBB out of the dreadful deficit we have been in the past few years.
2. Be the best starting big man on the team, be the player the team needs to win games.
3. Be a part of the ISU community and embrace the CyclONEnation.

I'm rooting for his success at ISU on and off the court, and I hope he exceeds our expectations in the upcoming season.

Enjoy!

How Robert Jones Plans on Bringing a Winning Mentality Back to Iowa State, Dawson Garcia, & Denver

Boy, he set high goals, and really delivered. I got to watch him interact with my kids (and others), and he really delivered on #3. I’m proud to claim BRE as a Cyclone.

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
All I said was “eesh” and that a poster would be upset if prohm brought him in, those aren’t exactly awful takes. Up until this year he was hardly consistent, And would disappear a lot. That’s a fact. Happy to be wrong.

Take your stupidity to other people that had far worst takes.
And using "dumb" for anything close to positive.

• Haha
Reactions: CyDude16

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
And using "dumb" for anything close to positive.
He was not the only one here that constantly criticized Jones last year. I was one of few people who defended Jones last year. I disagree with this narrative that Jones made a huge improvement from last year. He always has been a good defender and had decent post moves. His FG% is up this year because he is taking better shots. He is not forced to take difficult shots this year because we have more players that can create shots off dribble.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
He was not the only one here that constantly criticized Jones last year. I was one of few people who defended Jones last year. I disagree with this narrative that Jones made a huge improvement from last year. He always has been a good defender and had decent post moves. His FG% is up this year because he is taking better shots. He is not forced to take difficult shots this year because we have more players that can create shots off dribble.

Where did I constantly criticize him? Thanks in advance!

Help Support Us

Become a patron