RIP Bill Russell

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
RIP Bill. They didn't mention that he also was personally responsible for the goaltending rule. He never seemed to be too interested in the offensive end but, before they developed the goaltending rule, he was almost impossible to score against. Bill and Wilt Chamberlin were always compared as both were irreplaceable for their teams but Wilt sought the limelight and Bill did not. I don't have many NBA idols but Bill is one.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
RIP Bill. They didn't mention that he also was personally responsible for the goaltending rule. He never seemed to be too interested in the offensive end but, before they developed the goaltending rule, he was almost impossible to score against. Bill and Wilt Chamberlin were always compared as both were irreplaceable for their teams but Wilt sought the limelight and Bill did not. I don't have many NBA idols but Bill is one.

There was also a bit with him talking to a modern NBA player (Garenett?) about how when it came to blocking a shot, he would value it for a change of possession by tipping it lightly back to himself, instead of the swat into the 3rd row that gets the crowd going but still gives the opponent possession.

Reactions: t-noah and Kinch

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I'm old enough to remember him doing TV commercials in the 1970s.

He was a real thinking man. I always appreciated his perspectives on things.

Reactions: IsUaClone2

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm old enough to remember him doing TV commercials in the 1970s.

He was a real thinking man. I always appreciated his perspectives on things.

Seemed like a grandpa to a lot of players throughout the last 40 years.

If Bill is talking, you need to listen because it means something.

Reactions: imaclone2

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Reactions: algonacy and t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Reactions: WalkingCY

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Great man on and off the court. Doesn't get enough mentions when GOATS are talked about in basketball. He doesn't have the individual numbers, but when it comes to winning championships he is unmatched. No one will ever match his accomplishments in that regard.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
One of very few players with GOAT argument depending on what you value most. Before my time as a spectator but I admired the guy every time I heard him speak, clearly brilliant guy who probably understood the game on a level above others when he played.

Reactions: t-noah

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
RIP Bill Russell. One of the greatest to ever play. Was Wilt's nemesis, and only one that competed with and above him.

I saw this live and loved it...Bill Russell honored

• Winner
Reactions: t-noah

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron