Returning players next year

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BDAL23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2019
I look for more use of running backs in the passing game. Brock is a good receiver. Eli Sanders looks to be another option to get the ball to in the passing game. A new qb in Dekkers and I think we have to look to get the ball to our backs in the passing game.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
You are likely correct... And yeah Miller didn't look amazing but given how inexperienced he is I'm not sure that's surprising. Although in a perfect world Downing returns and someone beats out Hufford.

Hufford did struggle some, but was that because he was a guard trying to play tackle?

When I watched Hufford he looked very physical and had pretty good feet for a player with his bulk. We might see a totally different player if he practices at tackle the entire off-season. But his ceiling is much higher as a guard.

As a group there were way too many penalties (pre-snap & holding) from our OL this past season. It reminded me of the Rhoads years.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Defensive line wise - sure, this a big question but I like the size and potential of the youngsters. And with Lee / Singleton having had valuable game experience, the nose guard position at least seems to be fairly set especially with some other youngsters probably challenging for playing time. End is obviously less certain but we did see Blake Peterson start to play more slightly more as the season went on so potentially there's a tiny bit of experience there.
DL- interior is in good shape with Lee/Singleton and Howard/Onyedim. Lack of a pass rush is the biggest concern. Blake Petersen has looked promising late in the season but really need 1 more guy to step up.
D line: interior d line is set with Lee and Singleton as you mention. I view Blake Peterson as almost a lock at one DE, who will take the other DE spot? Jayden Gray from TX? Johnny Wilson from KC? Our recruiting here has been solid, time to see what we've accomplished soon.
I think the 2022 defense would set up well for having 2 DT's a big DE and a stand-up LB/Rush end hybrid. You have 2 guys at or above 300 with a DE over 270.

Getting Zach Petersen to return would be like landing a top 10 transfer in all of college football. He's the perfect project to have one final off season to refine his pass rush.

I think we rotate more guys than we did this year on the 2022 d-line. Singleton and Lee are likely the best players on the defensive front set to return. We need to get them on the field if there is a threat to run. Howard Brown will enter the mix. Expect to hear BIG things from freshman Tyler Onyedim this off season. 2 proven Big 12 starters and 2 talented back-ups. For passing downs/3rd down. Sub out a DT and throw 270+ lb Blake Peterson inside. Then get your best pass rushers on the edge and create pressure. I you look at ELITE defenses on 3rd down and long. Some don't have any traditional DT's on the field and move their DE's inside with a hybrid LB/Rush end to go hunt QB's.

Plenty of talent. We just need guys to kick butt this off season and have Heacock add some wrinkles to our D.
See next post (large)

Last edited:
Reactions: BenEClone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I thought I'd compare returning DL from 2021 to 2020. Here you can get an idea of weight gain in that one year. Most of these guys (if they need to) will continue to gain more weight and strength for 2022. One or two may decide to lose some weight.

I am also wondering how we might modify the DL w/o the pass rush of Will McD?
2021 Roster
4 Corey Suttle DE 6' 4" 260 R-So. Jefferson City, Mo. / Jefferson City
11 Tyler Onyedimar DL 6' 4" 290 Fr. Richmond, Texas / Foster
44 Johnny Wilson DE 6' 2" 260 R-Fr. Kansas City, Mo. / Park Hill
52 Joey Petersen DE 6' 4" 215 Fr. Long Grove, Iowa / North Scott
56 J.R. Singleton DL 6' 2" 295 R-Fr. Gurnee, Ill. / Warren Township
89 Trent Jones II DE 6' 3" 250 Fr. Eden Prairie, Minn. / Eden Prairie
91 Blake Peterson DE 6' 4" 270 R-So. Beresford, S.D. / Beresford
93 Isaiah Lee DT 6' 0" 305 R-Jr. Chicago, Ill. / Nazareth Academy
94 Kyle Krezek DT 6' 3" 275 R-So. Cedar Rapids, Iowa / Xavier
97 Kaden Sutton DL 6' 0" 300 R-Fr. Adel, Iowa / ADM
97 Jayden Gray DE 6' 3" 240 Fr. Haslet, Texas / V.R. Eaton
98 Seth Greiner DE 6' 3" 275 R-Fr. Monroe, Iowa / PCM
99 Howard Brown DL 6' 2" 325 Fr. Kansas City, Mo. / Lincoln College Prep

< 2021 Roster -------------------------------------------------- 2020 Roster >
2020 Roster
44 Johnny Wilson DE 6' 2" 272 Fr. Kansas City, Mo. / Park Hill
45 Corey Suttle DE 6' 4" 247 R-Fr. Jefferson City, Mo. / Jefferson City
91 Blake Peterson DE 6' 4" 255 R-Fr. Beresford, S.D. / Beresford
93 Isaiah Lee DT 6' 0" 301 R-So. Chicago, Ill. / Nazareth Academy
94 Kyle Krezek DT 6' 3" 248 R-Fr. Cedar Rapids, Iowa / Xavier
95 Tucker Robertson DL 6' 3" 296 R-Jr. Simi Valley, Calif. / Grace Brethren
96 J.R. Singleton DL 6' 2" 288 Fr. Gurnee, Ill. / Warren Township
97 Kaden Sutton DL 6' 0" 278 Fr. Adel, Iowa / ADM
98 Seth Greiner DE 6' 3" 245 Fr. Monroe, Iowa / PCM

2021 Football Roster - Iowa State University Athletics (cyclones.com)
2020 Football Roster - Iowa State University Athletics (cyclones.com)

Last edited:
Reactions: BenEClone

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I think most of those guys are probably good weight wise with the stated obvious that they'd all like to continue to increase strength etc....- obviously I'd expect Joey would need to continue to get bigger. Krezek certainly changed his body type which is I'd like to think a positive thing. We've got the size and length - now I think its mostly about experience

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Hufford did struggle some, but was that because he was a guard trying to play tackle?

When I watched Hufford he looked very physical and had pretty good feet for a player with his bulk. We might see a totally different player if he practices at tackle the entire off-season. But his ceiling is much higher as a guard.

As a group there were way too many penalties (pre-snap & holding) from our OL this past season. It reminded me of the Rhoads years.
Fair but some of that was likely due to guys playing out of position. Especially as a guard at tackle, if you know you can't get out to an edge rusher that easily, you tend to try to get started early. Which goes back to a lack of going on different counts and draws, screens, etc, as ways to slow down a pass rush and settle in an offensive linemen.

Too many times it seemed like we tried to beat people straight up on the offensive line and if we struggled to do it it didn't seem like we had a back up plan

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
There is alot of talent on this roster. There is no one here qualified to grade our OL.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
If you're a guy with no NFL future, why wouldn't you come back and play next year? I'm sure some of them just physically don't want to do it but all 14?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

LT seemed like a poor fit for Hufford. RT or RG moving Simmons to C. Curious how Mauro has progressed?

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
SIAP - Am I misremembering or did Jaquan Amos and Darren Wilson not get announced as seniors on senior day? I assume that means they will be back. Also, what happened to Amos - injury or just buried on depth chart?

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Any chance Anthony Johnson would come back. He is underrated in the secondary and is a true senior

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Depends if we switch back to zone or stick with gap blocking. We went back and forth this year.
It's always about finding the best 5 and figure positions later. Depth chart means next to nothing after the season.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's always about finding the best 5 and figure positions later. Depth chart means next to nothing after the season.
Center is something you have to pinpoint early. They are responsible for too many reads and calls to throw in there without the discipline and acumen for it. Simmons was the one with the most penalties (false starts specifically) IIRC. Can’t have that at center. Ramos has a year under his belt as the only returning center. You the best group of five there. Just putting the best five on the field is not the same.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What does that mean? Can you explain the difference?
Zone blocking is like a a kickoff return wedge. You blocked a group (generally diagonally) and the back reads a lame and cuts to it. Gap blocking is taking assignments because the ball is to hit a Generally specific spot and you have to force your will on the Dlinemen man’s move them where you want to create a hole. Gap blocking generally allows lineman to catch the Dline at an angle and use their energy against themselves. You need a back who is a good reader and cutter for that.

Reactions: stewart092284

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Center is something you have to pinpoint early. They are responsible for too many reads and calls to throw in there without the discipline and acumen for it. Simmons was the one with the most penalties (false starts specifically) IIRC. Can’t have that at center. Ramos has a year under his belt as the only returning center. You the best group of five there. Just putting the best five on the field is not the same.
We'll see.