Returning players next year

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I think you have to go to a 4 down front looking at the size of our LB's in 22. No Rose or Vance sized guys to help in run support. Davis, Horne and Vaughn are all quite a bit smaller than our 2021 starters. Maybe we see McDonald move from safety to an in the box DB. He is massive and a big time tackler.
Size is great but its not the only factor. I don't disagree with you but my point is size alone doesn't make you stand up agains the run. One of the best inside line backers in the NFL is only 6'2. 230. Roquon Smith is 6'0, 230.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
3) As for the OL - for one, UNI's defensive line is arguably better than some FBS defensive lines. Has been since guys like Bryce Paup where there. It needs to gel yes, but its not just on them. Id say we need to have a more clear identify of who we are and how we are going to go about doing it than we seem to have in September. It seems to take us 3-4 games to figure out exactly who we are in terms of a play calling perspective

To your third point. I'd love to hire away UNI's OL line. About to have 2 tackles drafted in the top 3 rounds. Sign me up right now for that.

It worked for Kyle Green in basketball

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Noel, Shaw, Jackson and Greg Gaines/Xavier Townsend (22 recruits who likely will play a lot) offers a lot more home run ability than Kolar and Allen have on pure athletisim alone. Throw in a QB with a BIG arm. We better stretch the field more.
Shaw? I'd rather see Bitter or Potter since I think both of them are more elusive and quicker. Shaw's a great blocker but not someone I think of when I think of deep threats.

Otherwise I completely agree

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
1) To the difference in the defense - I imagine if you look at 3rd down conversion rate, there is your answer. Our offense failed to extend drives and our defense failed to get off the field. We're a bend but don't break type of scheme and the more we're on the field.

2) Pass rush is also reliant on an ability to cover for 3 seconds roughly. If you can't cover, you can't get pressure. So in general dropping 8 in theory gives you a chance to give your rushers a chance to get there. An experienced QB who gets rid of the ball fast largely renders a pass rush moot. So you have to be able to take away the quick and intermediate game then get pressure, unless you are going to commit to blitzing but that's not our concept. Our concept is largely keep the ball in front of us, rally and make the tackle.

Also, since we typically don't have a ton of track stars - rushing 3 allows us to get another skilled player on the field to in theory get us quicker to the ball when it is thrown on the perimeter or down field.

Michigan has 2 NFL - possibly high NFL edge rushers. Both of those kids are monsters. But even with that Ohio State threw for 394. You aren't sacking people all the time.

3) As for the OL - for one, UNI's defensive line is arguably better than some FBS defensive lines. Has been since guys like Bryce Paup where there. It needs to gel yes, but its not just on them. Id say we need to have a more clear identify of who we are and how we are going to go about doing it than we seem to have in September. It seems to take us 3-4 games to figure out exactly who we are in terms of a play calling perspective
For the Oline, we basically seem to get all guards. We don’t have the prototypical center and tackles. Gives us issues with good pass rushers. Guards are more your graders, feet and hips are not as strong as center and tackles.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
For the Oline, we basically seem to get all guards. We don’t have the prototypical center and tackles. Gives us issues with good pass rushers. Guards are more your graders, feet and hips are not as strong as center and tackles.
Very true. There are statements indicating Remsburg was hurt much of the year and if true, I think if he's healthy he's an upgrade at RT.

If memory serves - and I know it was not just him - the offense flowed better after he replaced Ramos in the starting lineup. Maybe Bonifas or someone else can challenge at the LT spot.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Size is great but its not the only factor. I don't disagree with you but my point is size alone doesn't make you stand up agains the run. One of the best inside line backers in the NFL is only 6'2. 230. Roquon Smith is 6'0, 230.

If only we had a Roquon Smith on the roster.. LOL, I see your point in smaller can work. But the Bears DL has two 320 pound d-lineman in front of Roquon and Ogletree playing next to him is 6'4" 250

• Winner
Reactions: TomTreebow

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Very true. There are statements indicating Remsburg was hurt much of the year and if true, I think if he's healthy he's an upgrade at RT.

If memory serves - and I know it was not just him - the offense flowed better after he replaced Ramos in the starting lineup. Maybe Bonifas or someone else can challenge at the LT spot.
Remember we have a lefty at qb next year so we will need to flip tackles and hope it works. It seems small, but trust me, it’s not a small and easy thing to just do. Like trying to do your dancing partners footwork in old school dancing, it’s all backwards and it takes a little.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Agreed but we do have some decent size up front. Onyedim is 6'4, 290. Lee is 6'0, 305 and Singleton 6'0, 300. Howard Brown is massive at 6'2, 325. Suttle and Wilson are both 260. Peterson's 270....

we're young but we're not lacking in big bodies up front.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Remember we have a lefty at qb next year so we will need to flip tackles and hope it works. It seems small, but trust me, it’s not a small and easy thing to just do. Like trying to do your dancing partners footwork in old school dancing, it’s all backwards and it takes a little.
very true and while I'm sure there are miles he can improve on - I would certainly trust Remsburg over Hufford when it comes to protecting a blind side.

There are a lot of youngsters who could maybe help at tackle - Bonfias, Miller who I think played in a game or two, Pauls, and Petersen. All are 6'5 and I'd like to think at least one or two of them are capable tackles.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011

The hope is Tyler Miller wins the LT job. He didn't look great in short PT this fall.

I think there a chance we loose Trevor Downing. He's an academic senior and his best friend and roommate is done playing after the bowl game.

2022 o-line could be

LT - Miller
LG - Hufford
C - Ramos
RG - Simmons
RT - Remsburg

That line has a higher ceiling than the 2021 crew. Especially pass blocking.

If Downing does return. I think Hufford keeps the LT spot

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
very true and while I'm sure there are miles he can improve on - I would certainly trust Remsburg over Hufford when it comes to protecting a blind side.

There are a lot of youngsters who could maybe help at tackle - Bonfias, Miller who I think played in a game or two, Pauls, and Petersen. All are 6'5 and I'd like to think at least one or two of them are capable tackles.
Miller played, definitely has a learning curve. Was a ways away from me so I couldn’t see much. Looked like an 70 year old from Iowa on the 7 lane LA freeways. Not up to game speed at that point.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
The hope is Tyler Miller wins the LT job. He didn't look great in short PT this fall.

I think there a chance we loose Trevor Downing. He's an academic senior and his best friend and roommate is done playing after the bowl game.

2022 o-line could be

LT - Miller
LG - Hufford
C - Ramos
RG - Simmons
RT - Remsburg

You are likely correct... And yeah Miller didn't look amazing but given how inexperienced he is I'm not sure that's surprising. Although in a perfect world Downing returns and someone beats out Hufford.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

2022 o-line could be

LT - Miller
LG - Hufford
C - Ramos
RG - Simmons
RT - Remsburg

Who is his roommate?

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Miller played, definitely has a learning curve. Was a ways away from me so I couldn’t see much. Looked like an 70 year old from Iowa on the 7 lane LA freeways. Not up to game speed at that point.
Agree on Miller which is why I'm hoping one of the others steps up or he gets up to speed.

---- honestly if we stick with the 3-3-5 I could see

Blake
Lee / Singleton
Onyedim / Someone

And then hopefully bumping Blake inside and moving another quicker guy into the rush position

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Agree on Miller which is why I'm hoping one of the others steps up or he gets up to speed.

---- honestly if we stick with the 3-3-5 I could see

Blake
Lee / Singleton
Onyedim / Someone

And then hopefully bumping Blake inside and moving another quicker guy into the rush position
Have we received the final up down on Will. Last I’d heard he could go either way.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Have we received the final up down on Will. Last I’d heard he could go either way.
that'd be massive if he returned obviously. Guess I was just presuming he'd look to go since he had to battle through injuries this year

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
1) To the difference in the defense - I imagine if you look at 3rd down conversion rate, there is your answer. Our offense failed to extend drives and our defense failed to get off the field. We're a bend but don't break type of scheme and the more we're on the field.

2) Pass rush is also reliant on an ability to cover for 3 seconds roughly. If you can't cover, you can't get pressure. So in general dropping 8 in theory gives you a chance to give your rushers a chance to get there. An experienced QB who gets rid of the ball fast largely renders a pass rush moot. So you have to be able to take away the quick and intermediate game then get pressure, unless you are going to commit to blitzing but that's not our concept. Our concept is largely keep the ball in front of us, rally and make the tackle.

Also, since we typically don't have a ton of track stars - rushing 3 allows us to get another skilled player on the field to in theory get us quicker to the ball when it is thrown on the perimeter or down field.

Michigan has 2 NFL - possibly high NFL edge rushers. Both of those kids are monsters. But even with that Ohio State threw for 394. You aren't sacking people all the time.

I agree the premise of a 3 man pass rush is blanket the other team's receivers. But on 3rd & long we struggled to cover the other teams 5 receivers with our 8 coverage guys. We also gave up too many long pass plays, against something 2 & 3 deep is supposed to prevent.

Our recruiting & talent is better than Campbell's first couple years. I think we can be more aggressive- getting sacks & forcing turnovers. We struggled against a couple very mediocre teams in TT & WVU. Conversely an aggressive defense like OSU dominated those 2 teams. ISU gave up 79 points to TT/WVU, OSU gave up 3. I realize OSU is an elite defense. But their success was a result of making the TT/WVU QB's uncomfortable.

UNI is a solid FCS program, but they were 4-4 in conference and good FCS teams lit their defense up for 30+ points. A Big12 team should be able to do the same, especially a ranked Big12 team.

Reactions: BigCyFan

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I agree the premise of a 3 man pass rush is blanket the other team's receivers. But on 3rd & long we struggled to cover the other teams 5 receivers with our 8 coverage guys. We also gave up too many long pass plays, against something 2 & 3 deep is supposed to prevent.

Our recruiting & talent is better than Campbell's first couple years. I think we can be more aggressive- getting sacks & forcing turnovers. We struggled against a couple very mediocre teams in TT & WVU. Conversely an aggressive defense like OSU dominated those 2 teams. ISU gave up 79 points to TT/WVU, OSU gave up 3. I realize OSU is an elite defense. But their success was a result of making the TT/WVU QB's uncomfortable.

UNI is a solid FCS program, but they were 4-4 in conference and good FCS teams lit their defense up for 30+ points. A Big12 team should be able to do the same, especially a ranked Big12 team.
true enough but also - you have to think they h ad all off-season and time to prepare for us and we start slow and that's not just on the OL

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Agree. Going 11 personal will lead to more big plays. We will really miss Charlie. But having a WR catch the ball instead of Kolar can lead to more home runs and less singles and doubles.

Could also lead to more drops and INT's though since Charlie caught everything thrown his way.

Noel, Shaw, Jackson and Greg Gaines/Xavier Townsend (22 recruits who likely will play a lot) offers a lot more home run ability than Kolar and Allen have on pure athletisim alone. Throw in a QB with a BIG arm. We better stretch the field more.

I wouldn't be shocked if we saw more 3 WR sets to pull DB's out of the box. Loosing Hall will suck. But giving Brock and Sanders a 6 man box could really help that issue

It will be interesting how the coaches decide to use Sanders. I could see him take snaps at RB and split him out at WR with another back in the game. Get the ball to him on bubble screens, jet sweeps, reverses, etc.

I just look for more creativity out of our offense next year with the speed and some interchangeable skill guys. Brock is a solid blocker, so we could go some 2 back offense.