Regis Philbin dead at 88

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I first saw him as sidekick/annoucer for Joey Bishop when Joey had a late night show in the late sixties.

Yeah, he was old.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That's when I heard the stat. During the obit for Hugh Downs it was mentioned only Regis had more time on TV.
Price is Right must have had a fair amount of reruns because it's an hour show and Barker was on it for an eternity.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Obviously he was most rememberes
Those skits were phenomenal. This one came to mind for me. Far and away my favorite.

Letterman was the must watch TV. Today's late night, not so much. Loved his Top Ten countdowns.

Going back to Regis. Who wants to be a millionaire was also must watch TV. That and Live was his prime. He was on one of FS1s opening shows when the network kicked off. I only remember watching one episode but he had a blindfold on and was feeling up one of the other co-hosts leg. That was an instant flip back to ESPN after seeing that and the show was cancelled like a week later. I hate that it was my last memory of Regis on TV. Regardless, he was an icon, RIP.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Price is Right must have had a fair amount of reruns because it's an hour show and Barker was on it for an eternity.

Bob Barker was on the price is right for 35 years that equates to 9100 hours plus a few for the prime time shows. He had a few other years on a few different shows so he probably sits at around 11000 total hours. Philbins TV career started in 1961 and he retired in 2011with over 15000 hours. really not even close. Bob barkers TV career was very long and may very well now be the longest of a living person but regis' career is on another level.

Edit... OK, just did a search, I didn't realize how long barker was host of Truth or Consequence so he is probably a lot close in total tv time then I thought.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron