Redskins Yes or no

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Ya, I'm white as ****. I can't really tell you what the general population of Natives would say. I think Natives is most appropriate as a change for Indians as far as sensitivity goes.

Haskell Indian Nations University is about two blocks from my house. Natives come from all over America to attend. Their sports team mascot is Indians.

These are the uniforms that Nike made for them including specially sized shoes because many natives have different shaped feet than people of different descent:

Ho15_N7_NCAA_Haskell_3200x3200px_300dpi_original-1024x1024.jpg

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
1 in 10 of any group can/should carry the day on any issue?

Of course not :). But Redskins was just the brand of a sports team that has multitudes of other options. It’s not that big of a deal. 10% is still a significant number of individuals that didn’t like it.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I submit murder hornets or the harambes

If they change their fight song from "Hail to the Redskins" to "Dicks Out for Harambe", I might have to switch teams.

And I would eagerly await the first #DO4H hashtag from Prohm during the season

Reactions: Peter

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Ya, I'm white as ****. I can't really tell you what the general population of Natives would say. I think Natives is most appropriate as a change for Indians as far as sensitivity goes.

The thing is though, that's not really historically accurate, no humans are native the Americas. Canada refers to them as First Nations people/tribes. They got it better than we did. That seems to be the best option to me although their wording is kind of confusing because they call Inuit peoples "Native" even though they came to Canada about 20,000 years after the First Nations tribes. Geographically, I guess they are both right.

I don't ever see the U.S. changing though, it would get much too political.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Change the logo, salted peanuts with the skins on were called redskins in my day.;) A peanut would be a perfect mascot.:D

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
The thing is though, that's not really historically accurate, no humans are native the Americas. Canada refers to them as First Nations people/tribes. They got it better than we did. That seems to be the best option to me although their wording is kind of confusing because they call Inuit peoples "Native" even though they came to Canada about 20,000 years after the First Nations tribes. Geographically, I guess they are both right.

I don't ever see the U.S. changing though, it would get much too political.

Then technically no humans are native to anywhere but Africa.

• Dumb
Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Not angry about this, but I think 1 in 10 NA being unhappy with the name is enough to warrant a change.
Plus, if I remember right, there were issues with that study. I think it asked people to self-identify whether they were native american and you didn't have say what tribe you were a part of (among other issues). So you could have people lie and say they were native american or they were "native american" because there was a story in their family that their great great grandma was native american but no one else in their family was and they didn't really identify with it.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It's tough to be white in America. Hope the editorial doesn't wreck your week.

It's easy to be white in America so long as you parrot the "woke" talking points. The majority of americans - left and right of center - will sit back and let the anarchist children tire themselves out instigating violence and the destruction of underserved communities.

IMHO of course.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It's easy to be white in America so long as you parrot the "woke" talking points. The majority of americans - left and right of center - will sit back and let the anarchist children tire themselves out instigating violence and the destruction of underserved communities.

IMHO of course.
You're so oppressed.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I'm not sure why they can't keep the logo but eliminate Redskins.
I think there’s a few reasons. It’s probably not great for a non-Native American team to use Native American imagery. Plus it could kind of be seen as a slap in the face towards the people, especially Native American activists, who have been pushing for the name change.

But even if you think it’s fine, it’s at least possible (if not probable) that at some point in the future teams will be pushed to drop all Native American mascots and imagery. Why take the time, money, and cause division in your fan base to do two rebrandings when you can just do one.