Redskins Yes or no

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
at what point does it stop?

raiders
chiefs
cowboys
vikings
buccaneers

i'm sure someone, somewhere would make an attempt and argue that these franchises change their name.
Had no idea there was a large contingent of pirates to offend.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
It was time for the name to go. And it always seemed odd to me that the team in our nation's capital of all places had a nickname based on (questionable) Native American iconography. The genocide of Native Americans was orchestrated and sponsored by the leaders in DC, and to then use their image as a mark of pride seems willfully ignorant at best.

If the idea is to pay homage and respect to the native peoples, then Snyder should bring in the National Congress of American Indians or other representatives of Native American tribes, and let them have a say in how they would like to be depicted.

Reactions: matclone

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
washington_sentinels_logo_by_bulldogcody_dcfmhhd-fullview.png

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I wonder if those bent out of shape by the prospect of a name change are also bothered by the changes in uniforms that seem to occur with increasing frequency.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
There has been a lot of noise around Red Wolves (or Redwolves) for the new team name. I really like this option because the Red Wolf is a real animal (unlike something like the Jayhawk), they are indigenous to the DC area, they can easily keep the red/yellow color scheme, and there are no canine mascots in the NFL.

Otherwise there is a push for Red Tails or Red Hawks as an homage to the Tuskegee airmen.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Oh what is it then? Preparing for the post that caves this...

nah, just saying it doesn't take a group of say, vikings, to be offended by Minnesota's team name.

clearly, there aren't pirates or vikings running around.

but in today's environment, everyone is offended by everything. Its more what the vikings or pirates did/stood for that offends people.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
nah, just saying it doesn't take a group of say, vikings, to be offended by Minnesota's team name.

clearly, there aren't pirates or vikings running around.

but in today's environment, everyone is offended by everything. Its more what the vikings or pirates did/stood for that offends people.
I can't stand the violence, food theft, and cute but brutish behavior of Bears. Back in the old North American Soccer League I hated the Chicago Sting after I got stung by a bee in my suburban Chicagoland home.

Reactions: SpokaneCY

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I think the Redskinds name needs to change, but I'm not really sold on extending that to other franchises with names based on Native Americans. Redskins is a slur, while Chiefs, Indians, Braves etc are not.

That said, I would love to see some broad polling of Native Americans on the topic. It isn't up to me whether these things offend them, honor them, or if they are completely indifferent. Both sides of the argument find and quote Native Americans from both sides of the argument, but is there a prevailing view?

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Team could be named the Washington Monuments.
Cheerleaders could be named the Washington Molls.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Team could be named the Washington Monuments.
Cheerleaders could be named the Washington Molls.
Well that organization needs to be burned down so maybe wait until after November. I am kidding I am kidding....relax everybody.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I can't stand the violence, food theft, and cute but brutish behavior of Bears. Back in the old North American Soccer League I hated the Chicago Sting after I got stung by a bee in my suburban Chicagoland home.

wouldn't shock me someone would argue that.

i think its all BS anyway. so i'm not actively campaigning for this to happen, btw.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
my point is that there are dumb enough people out there to argue such idiotic things.