Recruitment

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
If we don't land a few studs after this season, ones who were on our wish list but we weren't on top of theirs, then I don't know WHAT it will take.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
Campbell had a quote back in 17, after either the OK or TCU win, to the effect that we're always going to recruit kids that fit the culture and what we're trying to do regardless of stars. I think a program can get itself in trouble overreaching for kids that have stars but lack the commitment, just look at Texas.
That said, I too hope we can keep raising the talent level, a couple 4 stars here and there to help widen the margins.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If we don't land a few studs after this season, ones who were on our wish list but we weren't on top of theirs, then I don't know WHAT it will take.
FYI, when a team has a huge season, it’s generally the ensuing signing class where the fruits are seen—so, the ‘22 Class.

That said, there’s three or four guys out there I’d really like to finish the ‘21 Class strong with.

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
I think all our past coaches have had great hearts, but for some reason - there are many - Campbell is Just better. He is more concerned about the person and developing men, than worrying about image. He focuses on the right things at the right time.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Completely understand the sentiment and agree with a lot of it, but...

Is there a TE in the country you'd trade for Kolar? (3*)
Is there a LB in the country you'd trade for Rose (2*)
Is there a RB in the country you'd trade for Breece? (3*)

I want the studs, no doubt about it, but the studs need to fit the culture. I think that's the beauty of this coaching staff. They have an eye for talent AND character.

But OP's point stands. The opportunity to get in front of the "next level" talent is a big deal.

Reactions: agentbear

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Gotta remember to, that unless stupid stuff like Baylor happens, don’t get upset at the staff if we get a 4-8 season occasionally and a small rebuild periodically. TT ran off Leach, Kansas canned Magino, Patterson is on the hot seat, Nebraska has ran off Solich and Pelini, Texas got rid of Mack. Too many teams get used to 9/10 win season and bail after a poor season and not give time to bring it back.