Recruiting vs NFL Draft Success

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It took me a while to catch on to this, in part because it took so long to come together.

It’s a truism in college football that new head coaches’ first recruiting classes are a modest hodgepodge of hastily put together talent. Grabbing the best you can come up with at the last moment—see Venables at OU stealing a recruit from our last signing class.

On top of that, ISU hasn’t had much of an NFL Draft history for quite some time.

But what I just twigged to a moment ago is that CMC’s very first Cyning class (‘16) included a future NFL third rounder (DM), and two fourth rounders (Kene and Enyi).

How cool is that? How astonishing is that?

Now, the ‘17 Class also has a 4th rounder (Mr. Spaghetti Hands) and the ‘18 Class a 7th (Brock) so far, but the ‘19 Class has already upped the ante with a 2nd rounder in Breeced Lightning.

Not a bad start to CMC’s career here.

It would be interesting to see a chart and a bar graph over the coming years to see just what happens as CMC’s career progresses here. Some of you younger folks are gonna be really, really lucky!

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
I’m glad you brought this up. I’ve been looking at the classes in total and reviewing them.

2016 and 2018 you could tell were Campbell’s finest work. He was not recruiting at very high levels, but really found some diamonds out of several recruits that were ranked in that .83-.85 range. Much more than what a team typically finds recruiting in that range.

He found Allen/Soehner, Monty/Kene and Enyi all in the 16 group. And he landed Purdy, Will McDonald, Eisworth and Rose all in the 18 class. (Not to mention guys like Anthony Johnson, Trevor Downing in that class as well.)

Now look at what we landed in the 22 class along with what we may be landing in 23. Players ranked in that .83-85 range are now among our lowest ranked in the class, where back then those were our higher end recruits. We were still plucking a lot of 2 star players in those first couple years.

We could definitely be seeing this trend continue to grow in a few years.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and t-noah

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
One of those post in the Draft thread, iirc, a scout said that Mike would have gone in the 4th or 5th round if not for an injury discovered after the season.

What was the injury?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
What was the injury?
Not sure. I assume everyone knew about the injury had over the latter part of the season, so that must not have been it. Or maybe the scout phrased poorly. Or maybe there was something about that injury that came to light.

Guess we’ll see.