Record Store Day

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Anyone else heading to their local shop for Record Store Day? Before I go I've been going through some of my old vinyl and listening to it this morning. I forgot about this album. Great stuff.

[video=youtube;NIDz5AfW9IQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIDz5AfW9IQ[/video]

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Record Store Day.....is that singular? I believe there's only one left

I worked in a record store all through college. Fun fun job

Next store to go extinct will be book stores.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Well this thread is a downer. I figured since there was a whole thread on vinyl collecting some other people might be participating. And there are quite a few record stores here.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Well this thread is a downer. I figured since there was a whole thread on vinyl collecting some other people might be participating. And there are quite a few record stores here.

I have an always crowded record store in my neighborhood but I"m more of a film buff so I get used bluray/dvd/laserdiscs there. There's also an all blues/r&B/jazz/reggae record store near me too. In river north area of chicago there's a warehouse sized record store of just jazz and blues, always blows my mind that exists.

I think mall type music stores are dying but real vinyl record stores are more busy than they were 5-10 years ago, at least in Chicago.

My favorite one I've ever been to is Amoeba in LA.

D

DistrictCyclone

I have an always crowded record store in my neighborhood but I"m more of a film buff so I get used bluray/dvd/laserdiscs there. There's also an all blues/r&B/jazz/reggae record store near me too. In river north area of chicago there's a warehouse sized record store of just jazz and blues, always blows my mind that exists.

I think mall type music stores are dying but real vinyl record stores are more busy than they were 5-10 years ago, at least in Chicago.

I think I've been here; do you have to take a staircase down from an elevated roadway (or up from ground level) to get in? I got a copy of Hooker 'n Heat there for cheap.

I collect vinyl, but I have to say that I'm not a big fan of Record Store Day. Especially now that vinyl has become so popular among hipster doofuses who aren't audiophiles, so many labels are just trying to put as much stuff on vinyl as they can without regard to sound quality. Most of them are just digital master mixes pressed onto really junky vinyl and thrown in cheap packaging. I've had to return so many records because they have the same exact mix as the digital version, the record skips, is noisy, has awful inner-groove distortion, or the packaging just falls apart.

That's not to say there's not some good stuff out there, but it sucks that you have to wade through so much junk now in order to find it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think I've been here; do you have to take a staircase down from an elevated roadway (or up from ground level) to get in? I got a copy of Hooker 'n Heat there for cheap.

Yeah, that's it. Jazzmart, I just googled them and the do claim to be the biggest jazz/blues record store on earth which isn't surprising. The other jazz/blues/r&B one in my neighborhood is called "Dusty Groove" Dusty Groove America - Visit Us! and has similar focus. Even that one is still pretty big, just not as huge. Seems these places and the average "hipster" record store have actually been helped by iTunes destroying traditional music chains.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA

I think that's true around here too. Seems like there will at least be a niche for vinyl record stores, for a while anyway.

I just got back and ended up getting the new Iron & Wine album on vinyl plus a couple other cds. It was pretty packed when I went in and they said it was even busier earlier in the morning.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I am very much looking forward to my Bay Area trip in one week - I get to go to Amoeba in Berkeley and in SF's Haight-Ashbury, plus Rasputin's in Berkeley. The Amoeba in SF is a music lover's dream - an old 20 lane bowling alley (iirc) that is nothing but wall-to-wall vinyl, CDs, DVDs, posters, accessories, etc. It's amazing and I can't wait to visit (and spend) again! Too bad Record Store Day wasn't in another week, because I don't have time today to get to one.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I went to the record store near home. Unfortunately, I don't have a turntable, so I didn't find much of interest by way of used CDs.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
My daughter, 10, loves old school. She likes The Beatles, the Stones, and Fleetwood Mac, but I swear that her taste being just like mine is only a coincidence...

I bought her one of those "old fashioned" cd/mp3/ipod/record players" and she loves it. I take her to the thrift shop here, which is the only place we can buy albums.

Now my son in high school watches us and just shakes his head.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Couldn't make it over to Zzz Records, unfortunately. I got my bike out for the Mayor's Annual Ride and then had some family commitments after that. Gonna go tomorrow and pick through the leftovers. I'll be happy if I can get my hands on a copy of Willie Nelson's Crazy Demo Sessions.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I used to go to a place in Chicago called Reckless records, not because I had a record player but because they did live D.J. sessions on saturday, where a guy would come and mashup/scratch on a turntable. It was also cool to just browse all the records and remember the stuff I grew up listening to with my dad. The dead, pink floyd, Fleetwood Mac, The doors, Janis Joplin.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
My daughter, 10, loves old school. She likes The Beatles, the Stones, and Fleetwood Mac, but I swear that her taste being just like mine is only a coincidence...

I bought her one of those "old fashioned" cd/mp3/ipod/record players" and she loves it. I take her to the thrift shop here, which is the only place we can buy albums.

Now my son in high school watches us and just shakes his head.

Clearly, your daughter was raised right. Don't know what's wrong with your son (haha). :eek: