Reasons the B1G should take ISU

ljhlax

Dec 14, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
Please READ CAREFULLY!

This is a thread for reasons why the B1G should take ISU. This isn't about "its never gonna happen" or "we don't have the market penetration the B1G wants."

It is simple. Post reasons you think the B1G would benefit from having ISU as a member.

Here are Examples

1: Iowa would have us on their regular season schedule and they would benefit from having the chance to schedule a easier non-conference opponent in our place.

2: They would gain one of the nations premier wrestling programs and could instantly tout the addition of more National Champions.

3: Nebraska, Minnesota and Iowa would all have another rival within a 3 hr drive. ISU travels well, and Ames is a very welcoming and attractive environment for all three schools to visit for an exciting game.

4: ISU brings Tradition in both Men and Womens Basketball.

5: ISU's academic reputation is on par with the rest of the B1G and the addition of ISU's athletic department's academic reputation would be a boost to counter the recent additions by the Pac12.

6: The B1G adds the coolest scoreboard in all of Division 1 to its roster of stadiums.

7: The B1G gets a premier class of fans that are among some of the most respected and classy in the nation.

8: Their mascot ranks are finally validated by the Celebrity that is Cy!

9: The dialog surrounding the annual Minnesota / ISU football game and Legend of Jack Trice makes for an instant college football story line, tradition, and would be a great lesson in honor, courage and character in college football.

10: The addition of ISU along with Missouri, KU, and KSU after they've already added NU would solidly place Des Moines, Omaha, Kansas City (I'm not lying when I say 5-10% of the market are ISU fans) and St. Louis into the B1G footprint. It makes sense geographically, academically, and solidifies the entirety of the Midwest as B1G country.

ljhlax

Dec 14, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
I can't believe I forgot this one.

11: Outside of Hogwarts during the Quidditch Cup, there isn't a more Magical Place in the sporting world than Hilton Colliseum.

Let's Go State

Nov 6, 2007
West Coast (of Iowa)
There is no doubt that this would make sense. For that to happen, Iowa, Nebraska, minnesota Wisconsin and Illinois would have to lobby the rest of the big 10 intensely to take ISU, KU, and KSU... And maybe MU.

I believe it could happen. Not out of pity, but truly out of value all 3-4 schools bring with the rest of the Midwest base.

The other influence would be politics.... But elections and state of the economy are too much of a distraction right now.... All grassley has to do is sneeze 'tax break removal' and it brings the big schools to their knees....

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Please READ CAREFULLY!

This is a thread for reasons why the B1G should take ISU. This isn't about "its never gonna happen" or "we don't have the market penetration the B1G wants."

It is simple. Post reasons you think the B1G would benefit from having ISU as a member.

Here are Examples

1: Iowa would have us on their regular season schedule and they would benefit from having the chance to schedule a easier non-conference opponent in our place.

2: They would gain one of the nations premier wrestling programs and could instantly tout the addition of more National Champions.

3: Nebraska, Minnesota and Iowa would all have another rival within a 3 hr drive. ISU travels well, and Ames is a very welcoming and attractive environment for all three schools to visit for an exciting game.

4: ISU brings Tradition in both Men and Womens Basketball.

5: ISU's academic reputation is on par with the rest of the B1G and the addition of ISU's athletic department's academic reputation would be a boost to counter the recent additions by the Pac12.

6: The B1G adds the coolest scoreboard in all of Division 1 to its roster of stadiums.

7: The B1G gets a premier class of fans that are among some of the most respected and classy in the nation.

8: Their mascot ranks are finally validated by the Celebrity that is Cy!

9: The dialog surrounding the annual Minnesota / ISU football game and Legend of Jack Trice makes for an instant college football story line, tradition, and would be a great lesson in honor, courage and character in college football.

10: The addition of ISU along with Missouri, KU, and KSU after they've already added NU would solidly place Des Moines, Omaha, Kansas City (I'm not lying when I say 5-10% of the market are ISU fans) and St. Louis into the B1G footprint. It makes sense geographically, academically, and solidifies the entirety of the Midwest as B1G country.
I think this could be a HUGE factor in ISU to B1G... Make some exsisting rivalries better (ISU-Iowa Day after Thanksgiving), renewing old rivalries (Nebby, Minnesota), Make border rivalry (Wisky). Would like to see Mizzou get an invite as well (keep rivalry? with ISU/ Make Illinois rivalry yearly)

I look at the fact that they will be making the quality of football alot better. Would be alot more to pitch Cyclones and Huskers knock heads this weekend, than the Nebraska Cornhuskers and Rutgers Scarlet Knights will be battling in New Jersey!?!?!?

I know its is a LONG SHOT for ISU going to B1G but this is definitely a valid point that Jamie can pitch to Delaney and rest of B1G school's

Last edited:

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
B1G needs one more team to have a conference for hockey... Let's bring cyclone hockey back D1 :yes::jiggy:

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
yea we wouldnt be playing you then
I can guarantee it. Maybe not the friday after but that weekend. Its rivalry weekend and I know you Hawks hate to admit it but ISU is your biggest rival.

I know you want to think that B1G manufactured B.S. rivalry thay you think you have with Nebby is legit and would stay (all hypothetically thinking ISU makes it to B1G) but there is no doubt in my mind that game moves to that weekend.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
This would be awesome for ISU. But I would have a major conflict of interests, having to root against the Badgers whenever we play them...however this is the ideal outcome for ISU in all of this

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
This would be awesome for ISU. But I would have a major conflict of interests, having to root against the Badgers whenever we play them...however this is the ideal outcome for ISU in all of this
I agree this is ideal for ISU and the absolute best outcome for ISU. Also one of the most unlikely. But hey isnt this what message boards are for :wink:

Jun 15, 2010
I can guarantee it. Maybe not the friday after but that weekend. Its rivalry weekend and I know you Hawks hate to admit it but ISU is your biggest rival.

I know you want to think that B1G manufactured B.S. rivalry thay you think you have with Nebby is legit and would stay (all hypothetically thinking ISU makes it to B1G) but there is no doubt in my mind that game moves to that weekend.

Id rather open the big ten with you guys. Not like it really matters though lol. I wish you guys the best in all this expansion stuff but I dont see big ten happening. (IGNORE THIS IT DOESNT FIT WITHIN THREAD RULES)

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
ljhlax said:
11: Outside of Hogwarts during the Quidditch Cup, there isn't a more Magical Place in the sporting world than Hilton Coliseum.

So are we just going to ignore this little gem right here?

Reactions: ljhlax

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Would ISU to the B1G be the best situation for the State of Iowa? Ignore what Hawkeye fans think, but for the whole state.....maybe?

Um yes. If the Big 10 invited ISU today ISU shouldnt waste time in accepting that invite.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
The best chance for ISU to the Big Ten is if the talk about Texas and Notre Dame to the Big Ten is true. If those schools are in the Big Ten, the value of the TV contract will increase enormously, perhaps to the point it can't really increase anymore. If the goal is to get to 16 teams, why not add a couple schools that bring value to the Big Ten in other ways? Things like AAU membership, geographic fit, more rivalries, good wrestling, etc. ISU and Missouri are perfect in that regard. Sure, the Big Ten could look to the East as well, but do they really want to be the conference responsible for breaking up the Big East or ACC, especially with Baylor's potential lawsuit against Texas A&M and the SEC? I don't think so.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron