Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This could be considered a nuclear option at this time by FSU. It is not something they would start, without knowing where they land. (I'm guessing B1G, since they've been the most predatory party in this thing for the past 20 years.)

Most people find it likely the whole structure of college football is going to be altered in the near term. There is a possibility that conferences even become entirely irrelevant with regard to college football, so to start this fight right now seems pretty dumb, especially with the understanding it will likely cost FSU hundreds of millions of dollars to try and do.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I'm sure a lot of you share this feeling but damn this round of realignment feels so relaxing. It's so nice to be in a comfortable position during all of this. It really sucks that another round of schools will be getting demoted (WF, BC, SMU, others), but I'm just glad it won't be ISU.

The Big 12 will likely come out of all of this in even better shape, being 1 of 3 power conferences (although a distant 3rd) and will potentially get some good new members that the SEC/b10 don't want. Sign me up for Pitt, Louisville, NC State, VT. The Big 2 conferences can have the drama-filled FSU, Clemson, Miami
I wish I had your confidence. For me, every re-alignment action or change is one step closer to our relegation.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
I wish I had your confidence. For me, every re-alignment action or change is one step closer to our relegation.
Yeah I also feel thats coming, but I think we're pretty far from there still

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Same with Utah, but if the conference doesn't give them what they want during their tantrums who cares? We gave in to Texas, that was the real issue.

The difference is that Texas had the media value to leverage to get what it wanted. Utah doesn't have that.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I'm sure a lot of you share this feeling but damn this round of realignment feels so relaxing. It's so nice to be in a comfortable position during all of this. It really sucks that another round of schools will be getting demoted (WF, BC, SMU, others), but I'm just glad it won't be ISU.

The Big 12 will likely come out of all of this in even better shape, being 1 of 3 power conferences (although a distant 3rd) and will potentially get some good new members that the SEC/b10 don't want. Sign me up for Pitt, Louisville, NC State, VT. The Big 2 conferences can have the drama-filled FSU, Clemson, Miami

The earth shifting under everyone's feet at all times is not good over any extended period of time. There are winners and losers, and this time we aren't in the loser's camp. But it was not that long ago when the ACC was dunking on everyone for securing their long term network deal with ESPN and it only took a handful of years for that to be shown a financial loser for them.

I hate what TV money did to the sport. Networks are carving it up like it's their personal property.

Reactions: State2015

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The earth shifting under everyone's feet at all times is not good over any extended period of time. There are winners and losers, and this time we aren't in the loser's camp. But it was not that long ago when the ACC was dunking on everyone for securing their long term network deal with ESPN and it only took a handful of years for that to be shown a financial loser for them.

I hate what TV money did to the sport. Networks are carving it up like it's their personal property.

Agree completely with your comment, but I'd shorten it just a little.

I hate what money did to the sport.

Reactions: Die4Cy

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
The Florida Supreme court is not going to screw FSU. it will likely enforce a 5 year penalty, and rule anything beyond that is against public policy of florida--which no contract can violate.

5 years would still be a ton of money.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Soon after the FSU board meeting ended, a detailed post was created on the VT forum saying the Big 12 is G5 and laying out the lack of top 20 pre-season teams next year as evidence.
LOL. That is a bold take coming from VT. A school which will need to be anchored to Virginia in order to get into any other conference besides the Big 12 should the ACC explode.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Threw a fit about not wanting to join the B12, at least some of their internet fans did.

So not anything like what Florida St. is doing.

Have to get over what some fans on twitter said during the Pac 12 crisis.

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
Threw a fit about not wanting to join the B12, at least some of their internet fans did.
I imagine all four corner schools would have preferred to be in the Pac 12 but when USC UCLA screwed them over and their inept commisioner too, pretty sure they happily landed in the Big 12 over the Mountain West.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Lot of people said FSU would never challenge the GoR in here.
Because no one understood the loopholes that ESPN put in it. ESPN only guarantees they are paying until 2027 but required a GOR until 2036, This was a one page agreement that the Commish signed without asking the member schools. Among other things.

ESPN said sign or we wont ever enter into contract again. etc. Which brings the duress issue in to play.

It appears their GOR had some other 1 pager agreements/amendments that were signed under the table that people didnt know, it appears even some of the members didnt know. Everyone saw the basic GoR that was basically a copy of the Big 12s, The added amendments were not seen.

With that, most didnt say they would never challenge it, they said it would be very difficult, to beat it. And if anything with the history of exits it has shown the contracts hold up. Look at OuT paying for 1 year. Look at the PAC 2 keeping and controlling the conference money, as contractually written and it holding up in court, so far.

We all have to realize just because there is a lawsuit coming that doesnt mean they will win. But they have pointed out quite a few issues with their GoR and how it was done.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
As an aside, did everyone see that the former Pac 12 teams that will soon depart, have settled with both Oregon State and Washington State? OSU and WSU now have full control over the Pac 12 (in name only) and now has up to two years to add at least 7 additional Division 1 teams to the conference to keep it afloat. My question, since the Pac 12 has an automatic qualifier to the CFP, does this mean that either OSU or WSU (or whatever Mountain West team) who wins the Pac 12 now gets that automatic qualifier? Those are some pretty good odds to make the CFP on an annual basis.

Help Support Us

Become a patron