Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's more than just adding teams who will sustain the 'per team payout'. It's also about adding teams who will enhance the conference's chances of surviving this dangerous realignment era.

Just one year ago the PAC had a golden opportunity to poach the Big 12 leftovers. However, their conceited presidents thought that adding Big 12 teams would do nothing to increase the value of their conference. Now their entire conference is on the verge of collapse.
The LA schools were the big killers of expansion, just like OuT was the killer of us going to 12 teams.

I read BYU brought in 40MM in payouts on their own, and they had some poorer games and had to schedule what they could when they could. They definitely won’t hurt our payout being in that area.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
It's more than just adding teams who will sustain the 'per team payout'. It's also about adding teams who will enhance the conference's chances of surviving this dangerous realignment era.

Just one year ago the PAC had a golden opportunity to poach the Big 12 leftovers. However, their conceited presidents thought that adding Big 12 teams would do nothing to increase the value of their conference. Now their entire conference is on the verge of collapse.
Absolutely. And it speaks to my final sentence.

Reactions: agentbear

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
You're missing the dilution factor. Your premise is that the teams added to the B12 'sustain' the per team payout. When, in fact, their current resume (ie P12) speaks exactly the opposite (ie it'll lower the per team payout of the B12). Oh, I'm sure there's a 'combination' of teams from the P12 which can bring that mite, but the four corners, by themselves, is a gamble. Now, I'm only talking dollars and cents here. 'Solidifying' the health of the B12 is another matter and I'm sure one which would also need to be quantified.

If the Pac deal is $30M per, we know some teams are worth more (UO, UW) and others less (WSU, OSU). But how much more, and what about the teams in the middle? If Utah or Arizona was worth the average, that's less than Big12 (theoretical) $37M. But maybe being in a different conference, accessing another late night window, putting them in earlier windows as well, having the Holy War be an annual event... might change their value upwards to be in Big12 and increase the value of Big12 games at the same time. Maybe- only the TV people know for sure.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Of course they do, but I won't believe it until I see it at this point. They knew they were adding USC/UCLA for a very long time. They could have had ANYBODY else they wanted outside of SEC schools and ND. They chose not to do it.
I still strongly suspect they were going to 20 with Cal, Stanford, and UW - but ONLY if they could get ND, which they couldn't. Once that ship sailed, they held pat.

They would be back in play whenever the ACC teams come into play. Which might put ND in play too.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I still strongly suspect they were going to 20 with Cal, Stanford, and UW - but ONLY if they could get ND, which they couldn't. Once that ship sailed, they held pat.

They would be back in play whenever the ACC teams come into play. Which might put ND in play too.

But why didn't they have that all hammered out if that was the case, and announce it all at once? I don't think that's it at all.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
The big behemoth is here. Further expansion seems likely, according to this and numerous other reporters' sources.

It is interesting that McMurphy is reporting that again.

Also the amount of games per channel definitely leaves the door open for CBS and/or FOX to have a Big 12 game. Especially if there isn’t a Pac-12 to speak of by that point if McMurphy’s correct

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
SEC fans in my timeline up in arms about CBS using the intro music for the B1G. But I really enjoyed this take.

• Funny
Reactions: MartyFine

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The big behemoth is here. Further expansion seems likely, according to this and numerous other reporters' sources.

Bye bye Pac10. Doesn't this pretty much tell the Mountain 4 it's just a matter of when? Why wait til they have no leverage?

I guess at least I would be talking to the Big12 and laying the groundwork for 2026-ish. "Save us a seat!"

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Maybe the Hoks can finally stop borrowing money from the University to pay for their lawsuits and yellow construction paper.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Big10 is just swimming in money.
money-pool.gif

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Bye bye Pac10. Doesn't this pretty much tell the Mountain 4 it's just a matter of when? Why wait til they have no leverage?

I guess at least I would be talking to the Big12 and laying the groundwork for 2026-ish. "Save us a seat!"

At first blush, it sure seems that way. It'll be interesting to watch the coverage and analysis of this over the next couple of days.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
But why didn't they have that all hammered out if that was the case, and announce it all at once? I don't think that's it at all.

They couldn't get ND on board, announced USC/UCLA to add pressure. Plus those 2 probably made sense by themselves. The others maybe not.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
If the contract’s “escalators” apply to Stanford or Cal just as much as Notre Dame, then the B1G will snag them.

If McMurphy is right then it’s game over. The corner schools are coming here and the ACC leftovers (that we want) will be coming later after the SEC and B1G get first dibs in 14 years.