Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
So…

What do you guys think? Are we expanding the conference this year or not?

I think it’s not looking good for us and things stay the same for the time being.

Reactions: agentbear

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I’ve lived in San Diego for twenty years and have really tried to grow some sort of emotional attachment to the program but simply can’t. Even when the ex hawk Chuck Long was here I wanted to cheer for them but alwaysfound something else to do on saturdays. I don’t know what it is, but there are a lot of people here just like me. The basketball team draws well when they are winning so I won’t say never, but I don’t see it.

As an aside, the new stadium is horrible. Just plain terrible.
I think part of the problem with that is, becoming a fan many times cant be forced. People dont just move to an area and instantly become a fan of the local team. In the Pros maybe it sometimes is a bit more like that because it is about going to the games. But in college or Highschool etc sports teams there is usually a connection that makes you a fan.

You have family that goes there, you went there, you grew up as a fan because your family/parents were fans. You have friends that are fans or have been for a long time, that invite you to go/watch. It usually happens more organically. So many times people that move somewhere, are still a fan/follow their long time teams and struggle to become fans of the new local teams, until something happens to give the connection to the new local teams.

I have see many people say this, and I do think this is somewhat of the issue on the west coast, but there is also a large large alumni base and current student base, plus family members of those alumni to make up a large fan base for those schools. They just dont seem to care as much as some areas. I do think some places that have pro sports struggle more with college, I also think places that have many colleges struggle, but those places have large populations and alumni to make up for some of that.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
So…

What do you guys think? Are we expanding the conference this year or not?

I think it’s not looking good for us and things stay the same for the time being.

I don't see any expansion unless its the entire corner 4 or UW and Oregon as individuals. UW and Oregon are waiting on the B1G who won't be expanding for another couple of years.

I think the Big 12 will be at 14 until 2025

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I’ve been down this road before and don’t want to get into an argument about it. It is simply true, the lifestyle here is built around the beach/ocean and, to a lesser extent, mountains/hiking/biking/etc more than any place I’ve ever been or seen. BuffetClone has it right, it should factor in to tv contract decisions because it is a reality.
One thing I find odd about this whole thing, having lived at the beach in L.A. for 15 years is, I was never affected by that thinking. Oh, it all seems logical. But, I had time to hang-glide, scuba dive, beach volleyball, partying, etc., etc. And never missed an Iowa State game. But, then again, our early morning games left us time to do all those fun things.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
One thing I find odd about this whole thing, having lived at the beach in L.A. for 15 years is, I was never affected by that thinking. Oh, it all seems logical. But, I had time to hang-glide, scuba dive, beach volleyball, partying, etc., etc. And never missed an Iowa State game. But, then again, our early morning games left us time to do all those fun things.

That’s kind of the difference, Iowa State sports is higher on your list than most people on the west coast. You’ll make time to watch it. It seems like other residents on the west coast wouldn’t.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: sunset and Cloneon

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
1). Big ten doesn’t hit 100 until the playoffs change, LA enters and near the end. 2) that includes all tiers 3) included bowls, playoffs and everything, this is just some of the TV rights.
Point taken. What are the escalators for the PAC and B12?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
SDSU is a long term play. I’m not saying add them, I don’t think we need to. We already added Houston and UCF as long term plays. They will gain more fans over the years now that they are in the P5/4/3.

Reactions: sunset

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I’m typically at the beach from 8am until noon. I’ve watched more games than I should have on delay. Had to go radio silence until I had a chance to watch. I had chargers season tickets but the games kicked off at 1pm so it worked. It would have to be a really good Aztecs team to make me miss a beach day. To your point, I know more alums from Midwest and East coast schools that go out of their way to watch football, unfortunately they don’t care about SDSU.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I don't see any expansion unless its the entire corner 4 or UW and Oregon as individuals. UW and Oregon are waiting on the B1G who won't be expanding for another couple of years.

I think the Big 12 will be at 14 until 2025
ASU would be phenomenal, huge school with huge alumni base. Unfortunately they haven’t had a ton of recent success but if they ever have a top level team they’ll have a ton of support. Worried about two schools in Arizona and Utah but there may not be better options.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Still think that the PAC is the trigger function here, not the BIG...their media contract is going to force things if it requires a Grant of Rights. Does Oregon and Washington lock things in for 5-7 years at a rate even lower than the current contract? Do the non-Oregon/Washington teams agree to non-balanced revenue sharing to plus up the "big" teams? It will be pretty fascinating to see...

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
We currently go up about 2MM per year. Not sure about when the playoffs hit or when OuT leaves.
There is nothing for that point, because that is after our current contract ends so there is no contingencies for those.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I find it extremely difficult to believe they are that far apart. That doesn’t pass the smell test.
That does seem odd.

But remember the Pac12 is at the low 30's per school in 2022 with USC & UCLA.

Also, if Pac12 is requiring a no termination clause, then if I am ESPN or Fox- I am pricing the deal based on Oregon & Washington being gone AND having to be replaced by a couple MWC teams. Can't have an 8 team conference.

Who knows, ESPN & Fox's preference might be the Pac12 breaking up. But they might figure if they can get the Pac12 cheap- it might make financial sense. After all these are $300-$500M annual contracts and both networks will want to be competitive bidding on the 12 team playoff. That will take around $2 BILLION of annual investment for an exclusive deal.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I've never understood that argument. I do believe it to be true, but to me it would just reinforce the decision of the networks to not top dollar for their media rights. They're basically saying "You should pay us a ton of money for our media rights because we have a lot of fans, even though our fans have better things to do and don't watch our games."
It’s the dumbest argument available. I love kayak fishing, I do it every chance I get. I can easily fish from my kayak until the water freezes over. This usually gives me until mid November at the latest. So, I kayak fish every chance I get, unless the Cyclones are playing at home. If no one comes to your games, no one cares.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
That’s kind of the difference, Iowa State sports is higher on your list than most people on the west coast. You’ll make time to watch it. It seems like other residents on the west coast wouldn’t.
Watching the UCLA / Washington game.

Perhaps this is conspiracy theory but it sure appears the producers are going out of their way not to show the “crowd”. Can’t blame the surf tonight.

If fans cannot get up for two 4-0 teams, this is a Big 10 team?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I know the excuses that there are a million things to do in California, and that may be true, but surely there are more than 5,000 that want to see a college football game. Out of like 10 million people, they have to average only 5-10k actually in the stands, and most the time far less. Even if just to watch the cheer squad.

Tonight there must be 80% Washington fans.

Reactions: GoldCy and 2speedy1

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I know the excuses that there are a million things to do in California, and that may be true, but surely there are more than 5,000 that want to see a college football game. Out of like 10 million people, they have to average only 5-10k actually in the stands, and most the time far less. Even if just to watch the cheer squad.

Tonight there must be 80% Washington fans.
They’ll show up when they play Maryland.