Rasir Bolton Visiting

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Rasir Bolton
a one-time Penn State standout, officially visited Iowa State last week and it looks as if the Cyclones are in the lead. Bolton would likely have to sit out next season due to transfer restrictions but there has been buzz that he could potentially receive a waiver to play right away. Averaging over 11 points per game last season and someone that can play either guard position, Bolton’s services would be much needed thanks to the early departure of
Lindell Wigginton

Wigginton placed his name into the NBA Draft earlier this spring and while his second year did not go as well as his freshman campaign, it would be a shock if Wigginton returns to Ames. May 29 is the deadline for Wigginton to withdraw his name out of the draft.

Artic Zone

Jul 12, 2017

Rasir Bolton
a one-time Penn State standout, officially visited Iowa State last week and it looks as if the Cyclones are in the lead. Bolton would likely have to sit out next season due to transfer restrictions but there has been buzz that he could potentially receive a waiver to play right away. Averaging over 11 points per game last season and someone that can play either guard position, Bolton’s services would be much needed thanks to the early departure of
Lindell Wigginton

Wigginton placed his name into the NBA Draft earlier this spring and while his second year did not go as well as his freshman campaign, it would be a shock if Wigginton returns to Ames. May 29 is the deadline for Wigginton to withdraw his name out of the draft.

I feel good about ISU landing this kid.

I assume Chris and i have same birdies chirping to us

goclones69

Aug 5, 2012
What is his waiver based on?

Wondering the same thing. Maybe Prohm feels like there is a good chance he gets the waiver since he has mentioned that we would be filling the last scholly with an immediate impact player?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
What is his waiver based on?

Not sure

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstate/...ncaa-transfer-portal-ray-bolton-explains.html

Though Ray Bolton declined to be specific about the reasons for his son’s transfer when contacted tonight, he did say this much:

“At this point, I want to give Penn State a chance to respond. I can tell you it’s a non-basketball related issue.

“Right now, we’re just trying to get through the process clean and move on to the next destination.”

Ray Bolton emphasized that the academic portion of Rasir’s year at Penn State was not the problem:

“School was great. Academically, the support system was tremendous. There were just some situations that went on throughout the course of the season that were just hard to come back from, as a family.

“I think a fresh start may be the best thing for him.”

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Based on the radio silence I just assumed that he was all but a lock to us. How often is there not a post-visit story?

It's like the staff said...
giphy.gif

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy and heitclone

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Regarding Bolton and the waiver... does a kid have to announce his transfer destination before a waiver of immediate eligibility is granted? Thinking of some recent cases (Fields, Martell, etc) all were granted waiver after they landed at new school. Just wondering if anyone knows it’s possible to be granted a waiver before you announce your destination?

Reactions: Knownothing

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The fact that Bolton went to Cincinnati then Iowa State and then... stopped. Silence. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. That is encouraging to me. You would think that if he still wanted to explore other options, you would have heard of other visits being scheduled.

I hope he's really into ISU but there is some mutual waiting going on about Wigginton coming back or not, even if the chance is slim, and the possibility of a waiver for him. I am not sure what grounds they might want to use considering he played in 32 games, started 9 games, and for 861 minutes last year (about the same as Michael Jacobson), on the other hand.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Based on the radio silence I just assumed that he was all but a lock to us. How often is there not a post-visit story?

It's like the staff said...
giphy.gif

it is really strange, I keep going back to Prohm making the statement about adding another scoring guard and we're good. Something about the way he said that made me think he knew something.

Reactions: aauummm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Not sure

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstate/...ncaa-transfer-portal-ray-bolton-explains.html

Though Ray Bolton declined to be specific about the reasons for his son’s transfer when contacted tonight, he did say this much:

“At this point, I want to give Penn State a chance to respond. I can tell you it’s a non-basketball related issue.

“Right now, we’re just trying to get through the process clean and move on to the next destination.”

Ray Bolton emphasized that the academic portion of Rasir’s year at Penn State was not the problem:

“School was great. Academically, the support system was tremendous. There were just some situations that went on throughout the course of the season that were just hard to come back from, as a family.

“I think a fresh start may be the best thing for him.”

The language of the NCAA rule allowing the waiver is pretty (intentionally?) vague -

"documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete's control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete."

Leaves a lot of wiggle room for the NCAA, and it's interesting that Bolton's dad sort of put the ball in Penn State's court by saying he'd let them respond. I doubt they'll say much of anything.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Regarding Bolton and the waiver... does a kid have to announce his transfer destination before a waiver of immediate eligibility is granted? Thinking of some recent cases (Fields, Martell, etc) all were granted waiver after they landed at new school. Just wondering if anyone knows it’s possible to be granted a waiver before you announce your destination?

I am sure that the player has the right to submit the paper work for a waiver depending on the situation themselves. That said I would think you would want to have the new school's compliance department to review and help with the paper work and arguments for it being granted. Also having chosen a new school it would help to craft the reasoning it being granted be it location, academic, or medical/hardship reasons.