Ranking the Future BIG12

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I was listening to Woody and Stans on the FART talk about the future BIG12 and it got me thinking about where ISU sits in the pecking order. Below are my rankings of where the programs are at IMO.

1. Ok State: I debated between the top 2 for awhile but ultimately decided on this for #1. Gundy doesn't seem to be going anywhere and has shown he can adapt. They have been very good for a long time.
2. Baylor: I hate putting them this high but it is hard to argue against. They have survived multiple coaching changes and have still been very good. Aranda seems like he wants to stick around and is a really good coach.
3. Cincy: They made the playoffs so I have a hard time putting them any lower. It will be interesting to see what happens when they move up into a tougher conference.
4. ISU: The program has been elevated. If recruiting continues to improve and Campbell sticks around we could definitely move up.
5. BYU: I'm sure BYU fans would argue they are above ISU but I would like them to prove it in a league first.
6. TCU: Shown they can compete at a high level.
7. K-State: Klieman isn't Snyder but I think he is solid.
8. WVU: Could see them being jumped by Houston and UCF in the next few years.
9. Houston: Potential is there. Let's see what happens in an elevated league.
10. UCF: See Houston
11. Tech: Lots of Texas competition in the league plus more from the SEC.
12. Kansas: Is Kansas

Interested in other people's thoughts.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
1. OSU. Gundy is one of the most underrated coached in America. His teams are almost always a threat. With Texas and OU leaving , this could open the door for them to sit atop the conference for a long time.
2. Baylor. Aranda is a great coach. Just won the Big 12. They are always going to be a force in this conference unfortunately.
3. Iowa State. As long as Campbell is at ISU, ISU will be a constant contender for titles. If Campbell leaves, ISU would drop a ways down this list.
4. TCU. The school sits in the middle of a giant talent pool. A new coach could bring a whole new life to this school and they could turn into a juggernaut or they could stay where they’re at now which is a middle to upper level team.
5. Cincinnati. The recruiting is going to get much better. The only school that will have played in the playoff. Going to be a contender year in and year out. Could easily slide them up to the top 3.
6. Kansas State. They have a great coach who will have them being a constant threat week in and week out. Well coached a disciplined football.
7. BYU. The players they get now will be the same players they get in the future. Will be a constant threat every week to every team, but I don’t think the talent they get will lead them to ever seriously compete for a title.
8. Texas Tech. Eventually they’re going to get some talent and compete every so often.
9. WVU. A middle to bottom of the conference team for pretty much they’re entire tenure in the big 12. Will compete from time to time.
10. Houston. With so many other schools in Texas to compete with, I don’t see them ever being contenders in a major conference but every 5 years or so.
11. UCF. They had a couple good years in football a few years ago, they’ve been nothing before and after. I don’t see them ever turning into a contender.
12 Kansas. Kansas is Kansas.

This is how I see the conference moving forward. The ranking doesn’t mean how good they are this season, just how the conference average will play out.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
This is a very balanced league and any of these programs (except for Kansas, for now) could rise to the top in any given year. The competitiveness is going to be insane. A lot of good coaches.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I agree with the OP ranking. Oklahoma State and Cincy will do well in the new Big 12 right out of the gate. I think Houston will settle in initially in the Texas Tech/TCU/UCF range.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I was listening to Woody and Stans on the FART talk about the future BIG12 and it got me thinking about where ISU sits in the pecking order. Below are my rankings of where the programs are at IMO.

1. Ok State: I debated between the top 2 for awhile but ultimately decided on this for #1. Gundy doesn't seem to be going anywhere and has shown he can adapt. They have been very good for a long time.
2. Baylor: I hate putting them this high but it is hard to argue against. They have survived multiple coaching changes and have still been very good. Aranda seems like he wants to stick around and is a really good coach.
3. Cincy: They made the playoffs so I have a hard time putting them any lower. It will be interesting to see what happens when they move up into a tougher conference.
4. ISU: The program has been elevated. If recruiting continues to improve and Campbell sticks around we could definitely move up.
5. BYU: I'm sure BYU fans would argue they are above ISU but I would like them to prove it in a league first.

Interesting thought exercise. I see your points and mostly agree if this is a "snapshot in time" with ISU still having Campbell, but I would think BYU should be higher than us by a smidge. I think you intended it to be a snapshot in time.

Regardless, it's nice to have Matt Campbell on our side!

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Cincy isn’t going to have it so easy anymore.
I do agree with this and that's why I almost put us over them but they are going to the playoffs. We will see what that does the next few years for them.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
This is a very balanced league and any of these programs (except for Kansas, for now) could rise to the top in any given year. The competitiveness is going to be insane. A lot of good coaches.
Yeah the top several programs are all really close.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
i think unfortunately that Baylor is beginning a run of top dog in this conference. If you include all sports and not just football then they are unquestionably top dog. If we're looking at football only my rank would be:

1) Baylor. Perennial 9-3 to 11-1 threat with Aranda at the helm. Floor of 8-4.
2) OSU. They've only had one season since 2002 where they didn't win at least 7 games, 7 seasons in that span winning at least 10 games, and are 64-25 since 2015. OSU has been a power in this conference for quite some time, contrary to the national media narrative, and that will continue until Gundy retires.
3) ISU. Could easily put Cincy here, but Campbell is established, and I think top 25 recruiting classes become the norm going forward while he remains in Ames.
4) Cincy. Could easily jump into top 2 or 3. They benefit greatly with "power conference" prestige to sell to recruits in Ohio. I'm slightly worried Cincy is a net-negative to ISU recruiting as long as Fickel is there.
5) BYU. Consistently will be lower portion of the upper half of the conference. I foresee lots of 7-5 or 8-4 seasons for them
6) TTU. I like them over TCU going forward. Even though TCU has the metroplex advantage, this new coach at Tech will be able to flat out recruit some dudes. I think the first domino falls with Ewers shortly. I see them threatening with 9-3 to 10-2 teams every few years.
7) KSU. They'll continue to exist, like they always have. We'll all call them mediocre most years but they'll still somehow be 8-4 every 3rd year.
8) TCU. Sonny Dikes can prove me wrong.
9) WVU
10) CFU (Malzahn > Holgerson)
11) Houston
12) Kansas

Reactions: ruflosn

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Wow, lots of parity, tough to rank. Like others have said, lots of programs that could be contenders any given year. One note, most have UCF pretty low, I think they will be more like in the 5-8 range.

UCF recruiting has already taken a jump this season, previous years ranks 50-60's, this year 37. I could see them continue to climb in the recruiting rankings, with their location FLORIDA.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I would go as follows with current coaching staffs and over the next 2–3 year window.

1 Baylor - Aranda is better than Gundy
2 OSU
3 Cincy
4 Iowa State
5 BYU
6 Houston
7 TCU
8 K-State
9 WVU
10 UCF
11 TT
12 Kansas

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
As long as we have Campbell, dropping out of the top 3-4 is really unacceptable and shouldn’t happen. The CCG should be a reasonable preseason goal (not expectation every year but we should make appearances semi regularly). I really want these top coaches to stay in the league to make us all viable. HOWEVER, it would be nice if Aranda went to the SEC, or ACC, or really anywhere else.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021

1, Baylor - don't love this but Gundy has shown that he / Okie State struggle when the lights brightest. Coming to Ames this year, typically Bedlam, Big 12 title game vs. Baylor with some odd play calls in the redzone, coming to us back when they were #2 years ago.

2. Okie State
3. Iowa State and Cincinnati - to me its about Fickell to some degree. If Ryan Day leaves at some point and goes to the NFL and Fickell moves to Ohio State - then I think they drop down a little bit. I think maybe in a given year it can be flipped - I don't see a ton of difference between the two. Yes, Cincy did it from a non- Power 5 but they also have beaten everyone not named Georgia the last two years. Slight edge to Iowa State but I have enough respect for Fickell and Co that I'll say they both occupy the 3 spot essentially.
4. BYU
5. Kansas State
6. West Virginia - why ? IDK really know except they're a tough team and respectable but not elite
7. Texas Tech - I think their new head coach is going to be really good for them
8. TCU - They should be higher. They could be higher. But IDK... I just don't know what to think of that program ATM despite what it could / should be.
9. UCF
10. Houston
11. Kansas

I guess technically Cincy is 4 and BYU #5, etc... but I do think Cincy with Fickle could be good enough to jump into the top 3 so long as he's still there

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Houston and UCF have the ability to become juggernauts with their fertile recruiting grounds. Cincinnati will continue to be strong as well considering there are only two "power" programs in the state of Ohio.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Here is my list. I think the new member are getting too much credit. They will be solid, but the schedule will be way more difficult than what they are used to. Baylor has a good coach, but they had many close wins this year and they only won 2 games last year.

1 OSU
2 Iowa State
3 Cincy
4 Baylor
5 BYU
6 K-State
7 WVU
8 TCU
9 Houston
10 UCF
11 TT
12 Kansas