Random Thread of Photography

RunninMan

Nov 18, 2013
I know this is near Boone? But where exactly does one person go to get here? I've seen another photographer take some great Fall photos in this area.
JbigDYD.jpg

If you're going west out of Boone, you cross the valley and at the top of the hill turn north at the windmill (blue circle). Then you go north (follow the green line) and turn east right before you go over the little one lane bridge that goes over the railroad tracks. Turn north again at the T intersection and follow that road until you get there (red circle).

• Informative
Reactions: Angie and 4theCYcle

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
JbigDYD.jpg

If you're going west out of Boone, you cross the valley and at the top of the hill turn north at the windmill (blue circle). Then you go north (follow the green line) and turn east right before you go over the little one lane bridge that goes over the railroad tracks. Turn north again at the T intersection and follow that road until you get there (red circle).

Thank you sir!

Reactions: RunninMan

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Rockbrook Camera has free mini seminars going on again. last week it was on macro photography. Something I was thinking of trying. Got a 10% discount on extension tubes for going to the class. I had already been planning on buying a set so now would be the time to do it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Was in Mexico the last two weeks and brought my Nikon and a telephone zoom with a modest reach to try and caught some birds around the resort outside of Playa del Carmen. Was thinking mostly the orioles and maybe hummingbirds I noticed there last year but ended up scoring this fine picture of a Ferruginous Pygmy-owl. :D

Keep in mind this owl isn't much bigger than a can of soda, they be tiny little guys! Let me know if this doesn't load and I'll linky to a smaller size.

vQOLja81MiNI_VQLuzLyz8uPMlls1kEtpn8fLkza5XKFHuHpKF7QvG1qqkTjJh7iYzdhidPJtYxJqsxwh-pbCwdcj9pzXrJ5GsMNLKrvSFA7c9P_2596UhCyDW71cSbMWYC3bSmn32EAIQ52q--NA8QjlD9UsnbNhC1aEO8chchcx2rSOS31GAu5b0RLH7tIVQJVJWpAOL90wLlr7WG9DiKz6hpk_KdTcPnoyeT81wtEGiE8jIH1eHZn6JrL_grHPi3aIEbulb-Ww3fYxIIGmiLSiKHj1CRjMsQIduHY2VndcV73r75eCjTfVVjvxVZ6I6fTfFJcmvr5No0Ar2FxaazvxR4KB5gBWJ1dcKgVWVQqsHKmPsEnAI-_fBNqJvpjWlYeFQPNaEo1WkPFr7ZzX_LxcfzcbvK83YH1W3GOTOsq52PVmIghkHoIL0bjIgYbQFJo9Yi4nGb2nvbQJ2IHIG065u5IwRTwALe4mty30Xt_iZpa13MFRbZM_rTGmAqFMyh220X7xBzscgbibAv6RjII_4x5VEUsOMhVK8DgWIOcn8SIlN_pNFGHoIYVB_P_BLXTtdIvmOgLyVSuVZGlLKxYpxZOwxuL_U8uTgTvnJ893wM7qAK8HsdG5uQM9FtADY9t3AdmE7lMI5VDmmkbUZrFfOBOowg=w526-h625-no

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Figure this is a good place to ask this question.

First the situation: I am doing some work where I will need to take up to 40 pictures at a pop and possibly 100/day. I need decent quality for 4x6 sized photos; but I will be downloading these and throwing them in a bank for several years so there will be a large quantity there.

My wife needs a new camera, due to a scratched lens and the lens on her current camera does not remove easily so we will buy a new one. She will obviously want a better quality photo than me. Being a cheap rear, plus tax deductible, I want to purchase a camera that we can use combined.

So.....What camera will allow her to take nice quality photos and allow me to take decent quality ones without forcing me to have 100 tear of memory? Also, the wife will only consider a canon.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Figure this is a good place to ask this question.

First the situation: I am doing some work where I will need to take up to 40 pictures at a pop and possibly 100/day. I need decent quality for 4x6 sized photos; but I will be downloading these and throwing them in a bank for several years so there will be a large quantity there.

My wife needs a new camera, due to a scratched lens and the lens on her current camera does not remove easily so we will buy a new one. She will obviously want a better quality photo than me. Being a cheap rear, plus tax deductible, I want to purchase a camera that we can use combined.

So.....What camera will allow her to take nice quality photos and allow me to take decent quality ones without forcing me to have 100 tear of memory? Also, the wife will only consider a canon.
Pretty sure any of the Canon point and shoot cameras will let you change the image size so you could set it to a lower resolution for your work and the higher resolution for personal photos. 5 megapixels (2560 x 1920) is more than enough detail for a 4x6 photo.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Pretty sure any of the Canon point and shoot cameras will let you change the image size so you could set it to a lower resolution for your work and the higher resolution for personal photos. 5 megapixels (2560 x 1920) is more than enough detail for a 4x6 photo.

Thanks. Just to let you know how truly dumb about cameras I am. I owned one in HS that was a hand me down from my sister. You had to use a flash bar for it. I have used the wifes a couple times when she needed me to, but besides that I have never used a non phone camera since HS. I am as far from sentimental as you can get.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Get the cheapest for carrying around for work and get something a little better for your wife?

Can't remember the last time I even used my point and shoot camera, maybe Europe three years ago? Think my current Samsung cell phone takes better or equal pics than the old Sony Cybershot.

Question: Why don't you just use your cell phone for the work shots? All my cell phone pics get auto uploaded to Google Photos where they are easy for me to access from my computer for use or editing. No messing around downloading off a SD card or anything. Plus you can do simple edits from the phone app and/or using Google Photo tools (not super editing power but good enough for snapshots and such).

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Get the cheapest for carrying around for work and get something a little better for your wife?

Can't remember the last time I even used my point and shoot camera, maybe Europe three years ago? Think my current Samsung cell phone takes better or equal pics than the old Sony Cybershot.

Question: Why don't you just use your cell phone for the work shots? All my cell phone pics get auto uploaded to Google Photos where they are easy for me to access from my computer for use or editing. No messing around downloading off a SD card or anything. Plus you can do simple edits from the phone app and/or using Google Photo tools (not super editing power but good enough for snapshots and such).

If just me......I could use my phone. My employer (Wow, been 15-20 years since I uttered that statement) is wanting me to use a camera so I will abide with their demands.

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
If just me......I could use my phone. My employer (Wow, been 15-20 years since I uttered that statement) is wanting me to use a camera so I will abide with their demands.

Are you thinking DSLR or point and shoot?

If going Canon, you can get pretty good buys ordering refurbs direct from Canon (they have sales periodically if you keep an eye out). The refurbs I've bought all looked and performed like brand new.

The last Canon point and shoots I had (5+ years ago at this point) I did not think were real great for build quality. The last small camera I bought is a Lumix and it has been good, however their menu system is not as intuitive as Canon and it looks like their current lineup is tending much more "high end". I think the whole point and shoot space is getting somewhat marginalized, as DSLRs have gotten cheaper and cell phone cameras have gotten better.

If going the DSLR route, good lenses will generally do more for photo quality than a more expensive body. Depends a bit what sort of photography your wife wants to do, but could maybe buy a lower-mid range body that you can use the kit lens and get a couple nicer prime/telephoto lenses for your wife?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Are you thinking DSLR or point and shoot?

If going Canon, you can get pretty good buys ordering refurbs direct from Canon (they have sales periodically if you keep an eye out). The refurbs I've bought all looked and performed like brand new.

The last Canon point and shoots I had (5+ years ago at this point) I did not think were real great for build quality. The last small camera I bought is a Lumix and it has been good, however their menu system is not as intuitive as Canon and it looks like their current lineup is tending much more "high end". I think the whole point and shoot space is getting somewhat marginalized, as DSLRs have gotten cheaper and cell phone cameras have gotten better.

If going the DSLR route, good lenses will generally do more for photo quality than a more expensive body. Depends a bit what sort of photography your wife wants to do, but could maybe buy a lower-mid range body that you can use the kit lens and get a couple nicer prime/telephoto lenses for your wife?

Wife has been looking at DSLR and mirrored canons. I have no clue. I don't want something that I have to sit around and have it focus, but don't need something that I can just hold up and shoot.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
"Not too often do you get all this neatness in one location. That's called nature!" -Lenny Pepperbottom

xMOOFiu.jpg

That's a red admiral. Coincidently I saw and photo'd a swarm of butterflies in my yard yesterday. Had three species of butterflies swarming my pachysandra ground cover. It's about the only thing blooming in the northland so they we flocking to it. American lady butterfly (top), painted lady butterfly (left) and red admiral butterfly (right). And yes, the American and painted look a LOT alike! Glad the snow is mostly out of the forecast.

fDt4u7bui_NHij-D-aCMIohwprbNRii5hRKvM2Fsm8AxEwl9r3GVN1oW8PiPhVLI8kWHnfylSadUpgcmiB-12eOrJ4NW-Bqzxlff4ZC-X2r0r3e-I8-BDk5UUCSScHSs7eeqHTEt4x7P3SCvkaKuq7mRGQ5s850YBKct4bWjqtVZT7db9ep_PpSk1yVg2Kw681X0RI00gPrh-9WCq-s48HeFDpWakks_rtrEGvaVWfnB7ZufwiHt4IkccqSdiw5fsWbE9yRys2b9s_spqpGcNZsciklRWUtseCv94EJLAWmBDtEWSHwmHsVu1A_IGWASKpMWTLc2nMVBVmdcuQFUwYFkeSFYYQO324ptKdwfF7HTnWcqBONdpj_oh9Ml7qcIggdGV9Y1oFufcX-Z919BjTE5Z5-KbXzXh6yd0A9mIw51cDWkI_7ed7p2ir5webSXDUlmLRgaOUwXDYoQEc-Gip7YpFMRbeRhg7LYwxsRvgtnWXhuMP80AnowHd77u8D1ou9sV1VJU7oaLYesVkJVv1Y3lLurR6_TFUA6IRNxFpWOUNWn3-N_ZsYkwDuDLdhFEhfZG45_VfLf4myASwJ0bchAhH_1dZFx_AL_HKa8-pwjUBZUQv126p-zOwbZYjY0LOOJjrBN0iP__PNJAJwZmn8IQXYKwbI=s625-no

Reactions: RunninMan

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And a couple weeks ago, big ole Tom strutting his stuff in my neighborhood. Saw him outside in the morning and dropped my coffee and grabbed the camera. Stalked him hoping he'd "display", which he did, all the time still in my pajamas. :rolleyes:

5Dwjt200qozCA-C040O5w6dvbPYmNkCLGE9W2hYWLTUEthNLNfJJTdPgtR8PgAvizu-_awk_cX31DK3fS6hspJooeoBoaXoemfUXn9q7Gr-A0Bs6kejZctRpKvFoMEkt6doTZO0lKFfOxn7G_UlrxG3bc9sE59UILYJHxJ6ipBqLhG1J_cZ3p2PHGBOrReha3WjU_uEsBDZ5lF8SeZpi10TQ6-1rWcUDxWxtR4zL9XOLXOxTQ0WSalCoB8kl9FVXPemDh3GqlTGW0inW1xtPqvPwwWtehNZwul_k3GRhtX6YeWdPP46SwihFCVmF0U2q8e_cRF28DlJ3DcmFp6sOYfYgcXidD0UesSWXI8seBWHlwdGE-psBkvnlOe4mab7kJoj2feb3PKrys9Uou5bAjz7YkPe-vlQIZGePSyz913DYuW-HhDv7qVgzrFF93D4gyKR6tot_eTEP17_DmtfL_g9bPf5TXWpLvefa2VAEX-08ZeudhhYy_6mKhAsHFmiGh2J4HKYFPEViDScODg9nQVV4V50p8wli4wrnbD85XmD4omghsaILY1oMFctS6Xe3X6m8RumLXD_eASVzmDOHcGjCnOKYUDd9tIT-WNHNL9CUhlVZzeAhnz4r5TawRx3oAaI62h3dFPapT6LGWmkqXzI1nWVNhJA=w605-h625-no

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron