Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
You guys will all rue the day you missed the auction. ;) You could have had my 1961 vintage football helmet . Think it went for $22 along with an ad for an almost identical helmet I found in an old 1961 Boys Life magazine. Ha, my old baseball glove and my dad's went for $20 or so each also.

View attachment 50158
I've got $10 that says that later on this week that guy ends up in the ER lying on a gurney with some homemade Wile E Coyote-like rocket skates strapped haphazardly to his feet.

And he'll still be wearing that helmet

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Those auction people look sorely disappointed in the items they are auctioning or just comatose from listening to themselves.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Those auction people look sorely disappointed in the items they are auctioning or just comatose from listening to themselves.

That was the boring stuff, they had like 450 lots of stuff to auction off. The biggest shocker was two mugs like this one. Take a guess at the stupid crazy price for them (each). Hint, Red Wing pottery. Until the auction guy saw them we had them in a donate to the local garage sale.

IMG_2703.jpg

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
That was the boring stuff, they had like 450 lots of stuff to auction off. The biggest shocker was two mugs like this one. Take a guess at the stupid crazy price for them (each). Hint, Red Wing pottery. Until the auction guy saw them we had them in a donate to the local garage sale.

IMG_2703.jpg
$50 a piece?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

IMG_2703.jpg

No idea, maybe $15?

I have my grandma's cat cookie jar and matching salt and pepper shaker and grease jar and some lady from our church who came over to make fundraising for the youth group pies with me tried to buy the set for $1000. They look like this.

fb6907b3789550c9b482cc0613b6c4c4--set-cookie-cookie-jars.jpg

I had no idea they were a big deal. I think she was obsessive about that stuff though.

All this anthem uproar reminds me that husband and I were the the only ones standing when the color guard came out until they left in our entire section during CyHawk game. Didn't feel like attacking anyone as treason weasels or anything over it lol.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
When I heard $320 I was all, JFC. $320 for a pair of Red Wing mugs? Then realized that was only for one of them. Me = :eek: 2nd one went for the same.

So somewhere between your dump everything approach and sister's save everything approach, hopefully you made enough to pay expenses on the house until you sell it.

My deal is I'm not selling that stuff. My grandparents on my dad's side died before I was born, would like to keep a little something of them in my life.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So somewhere between your dump everything approach and sister's save everything approach, hopefully you made enough to pay expenses on the house until you sell it.

My deal is I'm not selling that stuff. My grandparents on my dad's side died before I was born, would like to keep a little something of them in my life.

I get that. I saved some stuff with some history or story attached to it. My dad's D-X oil biz stuff and his WWII souvenirs and such but a lot of the stuff ( and there was a LOT of stuff) was just old stuff with no story with it which just made it stuff. Plus I have no kids so I don't have anyone to "want" the stuff someday. For example, my mother had hundreds and hundreds of spoons. Other than the sterling silver ones the rest of them just ended up piled in in boxes for $5. I saved the silver spoons that CWW#2 and I bought my mom in Sidney and in London, cause sterling silver and story.

Funny though, part way through the auction NIL walks in with his two little boys. Pretty soon one of them comes up to me and asks "Uncle Boxster, why are you selling your pedal car?!!!" Cause you're seven and too big for it and I already restored my John Deere pedal tractor and gave it to YOU back when you were small enough to play with it. :rolleyes:

#not_totes_unsentimental

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
No idea, maybe $15?

I have my grandma's cat cookie jar and matching salt and pepper shaker and grease jar and some lady from our church who came over to make fundraising for the youth group pies with me tried to buy the set for $1000. They look like this.

fb6907b3789550c9b482cc0613b6c4c4--set-cookie-cookie-jars.jpg

I had no idea they were a big deal. I think she was obsessive about that stuff though.

All this anthem uproar reminds me that husband and I were the the only ones standing when the color guard came out until they left in our entire section during CyHawk game. Didn't feel like attacking anyone as treason weasels or anything over it lol.

BTW, this is my kinda cat lady. I am not allergic to porcelain cats. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
My coworker goes to estate auctions and picks things up for $10/$15/$20, then auctions them off on eBay. The best one I heard was she bought about 8(?) hand embroidered hankies for $10, and turned them around on eBay for $80.

They'll also sell "Box o'junk for $x". I think coworker picked one up for $2, and found a roll of quarters in it. (FYI, roll of quarters is $10) +$8 off the bat!

Reactions: SCyclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This is why you misjudged the redwing mugs. It's not porcelain, it's pottery, LOL.

Those are pretty valuable Shawnee pieces (the cats). But if she was willing to part with them she should have taken the $1000.00.

What was weird is there are no markings whatsoever on those mugs. They are pretty rare, not the pattern so much, the pattern in mugs. Only someone into it would ever recognize them. I am not sure a lot of auction guys would even have picked up on it if they weren't experienced midwest guys in this region. Red Wing stuff is stupid popular. I had an old #2 Red Wing (two gallon) in my garage, looked it up and it's worth like $20, tons of them on eBay. Tossed it into the sale and someone paid $75 for it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My coworker goes to estate auctions and picks things up for $10/$15/$20, then auctions them off on eBay. The best one I heard was she bought about 8(?) hand embroidered hankies for $10, and turned them around on eBay for $80.

They'll also sell "Box o'junk for $x". I think coworker picked one up for $2, and found a roll of quarters in it. (FYI, roll of quarters is $10) +$8 off the bat!

All of my old toys were bought by dealers who are going to probably put them onto eBay. And we did have the boxes of junk **** at the end of the sale. Like 2-3-4 dollars and pick a box stuff. It was like a bunch of dumpster divers trying to find something.

The part that I thought was going to give my sister a stroke was the furniture part. Old furniture, even nice old pieces are not worth ****. Mid-modern is hot, my grandparents and parents old stuff, not at all. My pedal car sold for more than any single piece of my mom's antique furniture. I knew this going in, my sister didn't believe it till Saturday.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
What was weird is there are no markings whatsoever on those mugs. They are pretty rare, not the pattern so much, the pattern in mugs. Only someone into it would ever recognize them. I am not sure a lot of auction guys would even have picked up on it if they weren't experienced midwest guys in this region. Red Wing stuff is stupid popular. I had an old #2 Red Wing (two gallon) in my garage, looked it up and it's worth like $20, tons of them on eBay. Tossed it the sale and someone paid $75 for it.

Yes, I recognized the color and pattern of the blue and orange immediately. I actually have a small bowl that was in my parent's/grandparents things that is in perfect condition. And been doing flea mkts since '96 so you learn a lot over time. The crocks are very condition sensitive. Any kind of crack or chip and boom, less than half the value of a good piece. I'm more a pottery than stoneware guy, but you have to know a 'good' piece on sight when you're out trying to find inventory.

Your observation on the furniture is spot on. I remember starting out thinking old fine china and silverware would be good sellers. All the stuff our grandparents prized, and the stuff they used everyday is what people are wanting. Just goes to show you.

Glass was very good but now it is difficult to sell decent quality glass and crystal stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.