Random Thoughts X (The 9th Regeneration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
My wife and I bought a car a few months ago. We ended up getting a Jeep Patriot, but we were looking at 2015 Patriot that had no power locks up or power windows which kind we thought would come standard nowadays. My wife was going to be the one driving it, and to her not having power locks was kind of a deal breaker. I mean we could have save about $1500, but she really wanted those damn power locks.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Sent a message to the place I order from because there are still no tracking updates other label created. It's been 2 weeks now since I ordered...

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Caught up on RTT. I barely get a signal at her place. My work phone has AT&T which gets a much better signal

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
@wxman1 Saw this non profit called Compassion Flights out of North Central Iowa. Fly people for medical procedures/medical reasons. They are looking for pilots--not sure if that means you also have to have a plane or can just fly for them.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
@wxman1 Saw this non profit called Compassion Flights out of North Central Iowa. Fly people for medical procedures/medical reasons. They are looking for pilots--not sure if that means you also have to have a plane or can just fly for them.

Interesting. I don't meet the pilot requirements though. There are are a couple of organizations like this the biggest one is Angel Flight. There is also a similar organization for animals called Pilots N Paws that flies animals from foster home to forever/foster home and to get them out of kill shelters. It is my goal to fly both types of missions in the future.

Reactions: NWICY and Cybirdy

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Random thoughts after mowing grass:
"Send her my love" is the most under-rated Journey song.
I have seen "A few Good Men" about a dozen times....great movie and well produced...but not sure I accept the programmed, spoon-fed hero. Several tragic figures, including Colonel Jessup....who is actually the hero, IMO. We need more Colonel Jessups. I figure there will be a remake coming soon....and sure as the sun shines I can tell you a certain word that will be dropped by the villian and some other narratives that will be injected.
This is a great time of year in Iowa.
Are "Members Only" jackets going to come back into fashion?
What did people do for health insurance in 1935? 1922? 1890?
Had a farmer tell me yesterday that ammonium nitrate is making soil impervious and causing floods amongst other health problems. I told him I thought excessive tiling was the primary source...that and McMansion subdivision sprawl. I think I know where it will flood next anyway...I don't need a federal grant to tell you that.....neither did people in 19th Century Iowa.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
It's Friday night and I'm drinking wine and reading a book. I live such an exciting life. On the other hand, I live above a bar so I can hear people outside that; that counts for something, right?

Reactions: NWICY

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It's Friday night and I'm drinking wine and reading a book. I live such an exciting life. On the other hand, I live above a bar so I can hear people outside that; that counts for something, right?

Only 75 days until it is the happiest place on earth!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I spent Friday night watching House Hunters with my mother. It doesn't get much more exciting than that

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
So my mom brought many things from the cleaning out of the basement and attic. One thing she brought was this box of cards she received from the baby shower and birth of me. Maaannnny cards from people gone for nearly 20 years or more. But it wasn't the cards from my grandmothers or great-grandmother or great aunts that got to me. It was an envelope with a kids's printing on it, labelled "[Dad's Name] [Mom's Name] Baby" It really confused me at first, until I looked inside. It was a "kid's" drawing of my parents and me. It was from my dad's cousin, who had Downs and was 14 at the time. She passed away in 2011, but her mom is still alive. My dad got that back so he could show/give that to her.

And my mom brought those "all class" pics you got (each individual kids pic, along with teacher and principal on it) from preschool through 3rd grade. I want to get a good pic of my kindergarten pic to use on FB when I'm feeling sarcastic. (I am NOT smiling...you cannot make me)

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I spent Friday night watching House Hunters with my mother. It doesn't get much more exciting than that
I have a ok-hate relationship with that show. It's an ok show, and I'll watch it, but I'm always confused how some of those people have the budgets they do, and it drives me nuts when they walk into a room and starting talking about how they don't like the paint. That's such an easy fix

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I have a ok-hate relationship with that show. It's an ok show, and I'll watch it, but I'm always confused how some of those people have the budgets they do, and it drives me nuts when they walk into a room and starting talking about how they don't like the paint. That's such an easy fix
Yes, I have seen more HGTV in the last week than ever and all those shows are the same. Also saw Buy my lottery Dream Home last night. Someone wins $1 million and thinks they can buy a massive house

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Reminds me of being at my parents house maybe 15 years ago watching a Trading Places marathon with my then much younger nieces. This was their choice and old uncle Boxster was cool with it because Paige Davis was adorbs before that was a thing. My elderly parents were totally perplexed by it but not as bad as when they all sent me and youngest niece to grab a movie and we came back with the Matrix. Again, perplexed they were. :rolleyes:

BTW, if they reincarnate that old show I think @cowgirl836 should host. :cool:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Moved to the dark side and got an iPhone this morning. Feels dirty. One of the most frustrating things for a non Apple guy (I say as I sit here on an MacBook Pro with an iPad in front of me...) is that as a pilot the best electronic flight bags are iOS only and the ones on Android are significantly more difficult to use.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Moved to the dark side and got an iPhone this morning. Feels dirty. One of the most frustrating things for a non Apple guy (I say as I sit here on an MacBook Pro with an iPad in front of me...) is that as a pilot the best electronic flight bags are iOS only and the ones on Android are significantly more difficult to use.
I have an iPhone SE from work. I spend a lot of time swearing at it. I disabled Siri so now it has to ask me if I want to turn it on occasionally

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Go down an hour before close and pick up the lonely girl.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Day 1 of a three day work weekend over! Time to go to nieces graduation reception.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
so today was a kind of a rollercoaster.

Walked through Hyde Park knowing that the trees had me sneezy 7 years ago. Turns out they still do. The windy conditions don't help. In fact, it helped DH realize that he too is allergic/reactive to whatever kind of tree this is. We deal with it for a while but after walking around Buckingham and stuff, we headed to the train to buy tickets before going to Westminster Abbey. DH is like "my throat is starting to swell." Ok, well that isn't good. He didn't think he needed a doctor but we did go to a pharmacy and got him some Benadryl. He had me mildly worried there because I knew he was probably understating how he felt though I figured anaphylaxis wouldn't have slowly happened over hours. He's all good now.

We get to our Tube stop at Big Ben and it's super crowded. We take some pics, then go to the Abbey. Says no photos inside so I paid and then didn't open my purse the rest of the visit. About 3 hours later, as we were getting ready to leave, I open my purse and can't find my phone. Ruh roh. I knew I hadn't had it out since the train station right after leaving the pharmacy to check directions. No phone turned in at the Abbey. We had seen a sign warning about pickpocketers (that I joked to DH about!!) and we had a sinking feeling my phone was gone. That crowd around Big Ben. So after checking the Abbey, we quickly get back to our hotel room to sign me out of Google, try to track my phone, and see what we could do knowing that it had been at least 4-5 hours since we had definitively had it. DH is like, mildly victim blaming and I'm like dude, I kept my purse in front of me, zipped, and hadn't had it open after the train station other than for security and to pay. But I knew I had moved it from my zipped pocket to a slot one which would be very easy to grab if the purse was a bit unzipped. Blah.

So we spend a couple hours in the hotel trying to at least lock the phone remotely and ****. Read some Google reviews about how apparently Big Ben is a pickpocket hot spot. Sweet. Missed that in my research. Meanwhile, I tried to call the train station, but no one would answer. DH was certain he had seen my phone when we were there but I knew we had had a funny moment where I had his phone and thought it was mine. It was just one of those things where looking back I knew I was out of my "routine" and thought it was possible I could have set down mine while looking at his.

Finally we go back out to eat - without showering and changing as we had been doing - and I said we should at least go back to the station. We had assumed the worst since Google couldn't locate my phone (meaning powered off or something) but I remembered we had it in airplane mode which meant even if just lost, we couldn't call it. They still had people at the info booth and guy there says nope, no phone. Go to walk away. Second guy is like wait, what's today? the 27th? Says a Samsung 8 was turned in. Mine's a 6. Asked what it looked like. Said they'd have someone unlock the safe so I could look anyway. Eventually a person comes in and opens it.

Pulls out my phone. I literally gasped. I was so certain it was gone. So, no pickpockets. Just me leaving my phone sitting on a table in the middle of a rail station in London. Thank you kind person for turning it in. Probably karma for me chasing down a Czech lady at O'Hare to give her her passport after security.
I got to be like yeah, DH, told you I wasn't careless about not watching my purse! The look on his face, lol.

We then wandered for dinner - again, dressed in jeans and skechers. And a cardigan for me, t-shirt for DH. I looked like a suburban soccer mom. Wandered into an Italian place with no reservation but they had a table. I take a look around and realize ****, we are waaaaaaaaaay underdressed for this place. It was a delicious meal. So good. But I felt like such a rube with my messy hair and such. Gah. Our fanciest meal probably, and we had our dress clothes at the hotel. Oh well, the day ended well. DH didn't die, I got my phone, dinner (complete with hazelnut ice cream - amazing!) and Westminster Abbey was very pretty.

I hope tomorrow is less exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.