Random Thoughts V

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Just as I read this I saw two husky men dressed in suits walk past my building carrying 4 foot long wooden rods and large duffel bags. One got into a vehicle with tinted windows while the other put his stuff in a small Chevy and then got into the tinted window vehicle with the other guy.

Weird stuff? Probably not but the post above got my imagination running a bit wild.

Mctallerton working a side job? or just normal wet work?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Either I am coming down with something or Z really wore me out yesterday. Not to mention waking up at least three different times after getting home from the game.

My head aches a bit.

Hope you get feeling better Rev.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What truck stop did the Audi die near?

Trail's Travel Center.

Home now with a $45k 2015 Audi A4 loaner. Might not want to give it back next week. Will be interesting to see how I like driving this. Just driving home from the dealer and I am reaching for the gear shift and left foot is floating around on the floor looking for a clutch. Maybe I should roadtrip down to see my sis in the Quad Cities this weekend and test it out.

#oldschoolcarguy

Oh, and something for Wxman, my tow truck driver was a guy my age and a retired commercial pilot. In the summer he has a charter fishing boat on Lake Michigan. If you have to ride in a tow truck with some stranger for a 100 miles make it someone interesting.

attachment.php

/end Hilton travelogue

Attachments

• the hook 800x450.jpg
    the hook 800x450.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 64

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
JSmith, good luck on your defense.

Boxster, sorry to hear about the car, enjoy the loaner. I'm assuming the Audi has cruise, did that work well with a manual transmission? One of the cars I'm looking at has a 5 speed manual with cruise.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL

Boxster, sorry to hear about the car, enjoy the loaner. I'm assuming the Audi has cruise, did that work well with a manual transmission? One of the cars I'm looking at has a 5 speed manual with cruise.
Funny you should mention a manual with cruise. The only manual I've owned without cruise, which I found incredibly odd considering its predecessor has it, was my 2003 Evolution VIII. Imagine my surprise discovering this as I was driving my new baby home from Tacoma WA back to Muscatine IA :twitcy:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

My old Audi is a six-speed with cruise. You can't shift without it shutting the speed off but generally when it is engaged I am in 6th. At highway speed it is a very good and smooth control.

I seemed I had one of the few functioning cruise controls on I-35 the last two days. Thought most cars had them so they must all be broken or people cannot operate/set them. Man, folks yo-yo'd their speed all over the place.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
My old Audi is a six-speed with cruise. You can't shift without it shutting the speed off but generally when it is engaged I am in 6th. At highway speed it is a very good and smooth control.

I seemed I had one of the few functioning cruise controls on I-35 the last two days. Thought most cars had them so they must all be broken or people cannot operate/set them. Man, folks yo-yo'd their speed all over the place.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I'm sure a bunch of them stayed in the left lane doing this, too...

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids

Thanks!

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
I have never owned an automatic and first car was a 1968 MGB with only 9K miles on it so you can do the number of years math.

:smile:
There is just something nice about the added degree of control and the feel of actually driving a car rather than whatever you would classify operating an automatic. You have a little classier sense of style in cars than me however lol

My manuals have been:

1995 Eclipse GST
1998 Eclipse GSX
2003 Evolution VIII
2011 Evolution X
2004 WRX STI
2015 FRS

The FRS with the manual is a total RWD go kart! Its a blast to drive but the power leaves a lot to be desired. I have eyes on another Evo VIII, IX or X or maybe the BRZ STI depending on what that thing turns out to actually be.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
There is just something nice about the added degree of control and the feel of actually driving a car rather than whatever you would classify operating an automatic. You have a little classier sense of style in cars than me however lol

My manuals have been:

1995 Eclipse GST
1998 Eclipse GSX
2003 Evolution VIII
2011 Evolution X
2004 WRX STI
2015 FRS

The FRS with the manual is a total RWD go kart! Its a blast to drive but the power leaves a lot to be desired. I have eyes on another Evo VIII, IX or X or maybe the BRZ STI depending on what that thing turns out to actually be.

Once I've got a job and some money saved up (which may be a while if I get a postdoc) I want to find a cheap stick shift to learn with. The only manual I've ever driven (other than taking a motorcycle to second gear a couple times) is a relative's 70's dodge pickup that you didn't really need to use the clutch to shift. I imagine I won't be able to do the same when I get the car I actually want.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Once I've got a job and some money saved up (which may be a while if I get a postdoc) I want to find a cheap stick shift to learn with. The only manual I've ever driven (other than taking a motorcycle to second gear a couple times) is a relative's 70's dodge pickup that you didn't really need to use the clutch to shift. I imagine I won't be able to do the same when I get the car I actually want.
I would suggest one of the 1st or 2nd gen eclipses to learn on. Thats what I learned on and it went pretty smooth. As long as someone hasn't riced it to hell and back, the GS (Not GST or GSX, thats too much power for a learner) has silky smooth clutch.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

When I bought my car, I said I don't care about bells and whistles. Just make sure it's got power windows and I'm good.

I had no idea cruise control was considered a "bell and whistle." I seriously thought it was standard on any automatic transmission car.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I would suggest one of the 1st or 2nd gen eclipses to learn on. Thats what I learned on and it went pretty smooth. As long as someone hasn't riced it to hell and back, the GS (Not GST or GSX, thats too much power for a learner) has silky smooth clutch.

So you're saying I should avoid all the $500 ones with green lights on the bottom. :jimlad:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Sorry 'bout the audi, box...unless you're at the "I can't justify a new car since this one's not worth enough to trade/sell, but runs too well to junk, so I hope this Ford Pieceofshit dies" stage like me, then...I guess congrats!

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
So you're saying I should avoid all the $500 ones with green lights on the bottom. :jimlad:
If it has more than a cold air intake and exhaust, run away as fast as you can! It doesn't matter whether you overpay for a lemon by a dollar or a thousand dollars, overpaying is overpaying :jimlad:

I really stretched for that shameless Fast and Furious reference. Enjoy! :yes:

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
If it has more than a cold air intake and exhaust, run away as fast as you can! It doesn't matter whether you overpay for a lemon by a dollar or a thousand dollars, overpaying is overpaying :jimlad:

I really stretched for that shameless Fast and Furious reference. Enjoy! :yes:

LO6q5yB.jpg

So I should get one with the cold air exhaust. Got it.

Reactions: Cyclonick182
Status
Not open for further replies.